Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I'll run down and grab another one today.
Do I need another 300? Should I grab another fluval or is they're an equally priced fully submersible I should be looking at?
It might as well be another 300 for minimal cost difference in comparison to a reef setup total!
You could check out Finnex titanium heaters, BRS titanium heaters, Eheim, and Jager in addition to Fluval. I have heard good things about these heaters. Also, having equipment redundancy (2 instead of only 1 in this case) is always a good idea when you can afford it.

I personally have two 300W 800W Finnex titanium heaters with Ranco controllers to be used in my 90-75-75 plan. My current 75-gallon FOWLR is being heated with one of these since my Fluval stopped working in January (no idea how old it is, since it was from the previous owner when I acquired the tank in September of 2020).

(I just looked at my heater order and discovered that I decided to pay the $15 more for each heater and get 800W instead of 500W, not even the 300W previously mentioned. Again, bigger is better when maintaining temperature on a large volume of water.)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Got it. I'll run down and grab another one today.
Do I need another 300? Should I grab another fluval or is they're an equally priced fully submersible I should be looking at?
I Really like eheims

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might as well be another 300 for minimal cost difference in comparison to a reef setup total!
You could check out Finnex titanium heaters, BRS titanium heaters, Eheim, and Jager in addition to Fluval. I have heard good things about these heaters. Also, having equipment redundancy (2 instead of only 1 in this case) is always a good idea when you can afford it.

I personally have two 300W 800W Finnex titanium heaters with Ranco controllers to be used in my 90-75-75 plan. My current 75-gallon FOWLR is being heated with one of these since my Fluval stopped working in January (no idea how old it is, since it was from the previous owner when I acquired the tank in September of 2020).

(I just looked at my heater order and discovered that I decided to pay the $15 more for each heater and get 800W instead of 500W, not even the 300W previously mentioned. Again, bigger is better when maintaining temperature on a large volume of water.)
You had me at bigger is better ; )

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s right. Duh!!!!

Used one before and even posted about it to you lol.

About 7” of water with it turned up to where the bubbles pop about 1” below where the cup goes into the neck. That produced nice thick nasty stuff in the realm of half dry/half wet skimming. If I put it to just below the top of the neck where the cup goes in, it was a nice wet skim and about the color of a medium coffee. Another inch lower and it was more of a dry skim, like the color of rotten chocolate milk.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s right. Duh!!!!

Used one before and even posted about it to you lol.

About 7” of water with it turned up to where the bubbles pop about 1” below where the cup goes into the neck. That produced nice thick nasty stuff in the realm of half dry/half wet skimming. If I put it to just below the top of the neck where the cup goes in, it was a nice wet skim and about the color of a medium coffee. Another inch lower and it was more of a dry skim, like the color of rotten chocolate milk.
Awesome info. What's the normal material used under water to lift something like a skimmer up?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome info. What's the normal material used under water to lift something like a skimmer up?
I use egg crate light diffuser and some short pieces of pvc zip ties as legs. Others use acrylic, but I am cheap lol.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
52CF17_AS01.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowe’s or Home Depot has it. It is located with the ceiling tiles or T5 ceiling light covers. I think Lowe’s, it is in lighting and Home Depot it is near the lumber with the ceiling tiles.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowe’s or Home Depot has it. It is located with the ceiling tiles or T5 ceiling light covers. I think Lowe’s, it is in lighting and Home Depot it is near the lumber with the ceiling tiles.
My man. All I needed today was an excuse to hit Home Depot. One of my fave stores for sure

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My man. All I needed today was an excuse to hit Home Depot. One of my fave stores for sure
If you are headed to Home Depotty here is the link to the exact item. Just change your store to the one you are going to and boom the aisle it is on will show up.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also go the route of making your own small acrylic stands, but this is more costly and requires more skill.

Me, I'd just go the route of modeling the stand and having my ever-patient-and-willing brother print them with his 3D printer out of PETG.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also go the route of making your own small acrylic stands, but this is more costly and requires more skill.

Me, I'd just go the route of modeling the stand and having my ever-patient-and-willing brother print them with his 3D printer out of PETG.
Awesome thanks. I'm a (fairly skilled) furniture maker with a two car garage converted to my home shop. I've got everything that would be needed to build with acrylic. That being said, I think I'd prefer the simplicity of the diffuser and PVC legs that height isn't locked into.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. I'm a (fairly skilled) furniture maker with a two car garage converted to my home shop. I've got everything that would be needed to build with acrylic. That being said, I think I'd prefer the simplicity of the diffuser and PVC legs that height isn't locked into.
Yeah, eggcrate and PVC is hard to beat for low cost and simplicity! (...though I still have more fun with the 3D-printing route, even for my own roller filter [we'll see if it actually works!])

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, eggcrate and PVC is hard to beat for low cost and simplicity! (...though I still have more fun with the 3D-printing route, even for my own roller filter [we'll see if it actually works!])
Oh man now you're making me jealous.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife has decided that WE need another mandarin in OUR tank....

Besides the obvious incorrect uses of the possessives above referencing MY tank, I'm entertaining the idea but entered a spin in there. 29g sump isn't set up for a fuge and although I have a gang of LR, I think it would be a requirement at that stage with two mandarins eating pods exclusively to have a breeding fuge area. She agreed.. : )

What's the consensus here on buying pre-made sumps, building sumps to your specifications from acrylic, or modifying glass tanks with baffles or baffle kits to your specifications?

My tank is durso plumbing so only one pipe out, no manifold. One line in, one line out.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife has decided that WE need another mandarin in OUR tank....

Besides the obvious incorrect uses of the possessives above referencing MY tank, I'm entertaining the idea but entered a spin in there. 29g sump isn't set up for a fuge and although I have a gang of LR, I think it would be a requirement at that stage with two mandarins eating pods exclusively to have a breeding fm refugium.

What's the consensus here on buying pre-made sumps, building sumps to your specifications from acrylic, or modifying glass tanks with baffles or baffle kits to your specifications?

My tank is durso plumbing so only one pipe out, no manifold. One line in, one line out.
I built mine out of a 40B. I love it. I traded coral for the glass baffles. Got taught how to cut it by my guy, then built my sump over the course of a few days. If I had to do it again... I may have gone bigger. But the tank is only 60 gallons so a 40B was a good sized sump and it left enough room in the stand to put a 5 gallon glass tank for my ATO.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back