Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And bonus brownie points for anyone who can name all of these wood types!

PXL_20220520_214125441.jpg
Hard.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
African Mahogany, Birdseye Maple, Bocote, Bolivian Rosewood, Curly Maple, Goncalo Alves, Indian Ebony, Jatoba, Lacewood, Leopardwood, Padauk, Purpleheart, Redheart, and Zebrawood
That's a lot of names. Might be some sycamore in there.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those all sound pretty hard to me. Reguardless, that is some nice woodworking there.
Thanks. It was a small drawing table I made for my daughter a while ago which has been taken out of commission and I am about to repurpose.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely gorgeous. I recently inherited a machine for turning wood. I just need a place to put it and learn how to use it. Thank goodness for YouTube.
A lathe is an Amazing tool and one that I unfortunately do not have in my shop. I buy tools as I need them for projects (if needed more than a few times) and the style of woodworking I enjoy, which doesn't really incorporate a lathe.

One of the coolest parts of a lathe I think is being able to go concept to finish in one session. I Can and have turned, just don't have one of my own.

Check out segmented turning. Its too cool. I've built a LOAD of blanks for turners who don't have a full shop to make them.

What size is your lathe and what would you Like to turn?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know any details of the lathe itself other than its from the 80's and is very heavy. It was my "husband's" grandfathers and he was very much into wood working of all types. I have seen all types of things turned and I like them all. I would start with something really simple honestly but would think some candle holders would be fun to try.
i was just told it is a Rockwell 4 speed.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know any details of the lathe itself other than its from the 80's and is very heavy. It was my "husband's" grandfathers and he was very much into wood working of all types. I have seen all types of things turned and I like them all. I would start with something really simple honestly but would think some candle holders would be fun to try.
Heavy = quality

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a quick pic?

Rockwell made some nice cast iron.

If I may give some unsolicited advice, buy a set of Turner's tools with replaceable, carbide blades. (Rockler usually sells kits)

They make them in about every length and weight, most having multiple sides that can be rotated into a fresh side.

I used to mod over at Wood Talk Online and one of the main points of frustration with new Turner's and what made many quit before they got started, was trying to sharpen HSS tools. The Tools needed to sharpen correctly are SPENDY and that is an entire sperate discipline in and of itself that can take years to master. Carbide gets you cutting immediately, last a lot longer, and are versatile enough for Most experienced Turner's.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a quick pic?

Rockwell made some nice cast iron.

If I may give some unsolicited advice, buy a set of Turner's tools with replaceable, carbide blades. (Rockler usually sells kits)

They make them in about every length and weight, most having multiple sides that can be rotated into a fresh side.

I used to mod over at Wood Talk Online and one of the main points of frustration with new Turner's and what made many quit before they got started, was trying to sharpen HSS tools. The Tools needed to sharpen correctly are SPENDY and that is an entire sperate discipline in and of itself that can take years to master. Carbide gets you cutting immediately, last a lot longer, and are versatile enough for Most experienced Turner's.
I need all the advice you have to give. This I all new to me so thank you in advance :). 46-111 is the model #. It's yellow. No pix at the moment, it's a bit buried. We're digging it out of the garage this weekend. There were some blades with it but I don't know the condition of them. I would prob buy new anyway just to be safe and keep the old ones safe until I learned how to use them correctly.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need all the advice you have to give. This I all new to me so thank you in advance :). 46-111 is the model #. It's yellow. No pix at the moment, it's a bit buried. We're digging it out of the garage this weekend. There were some blades with it but I don't know the condition of them. I would prob buy new anyway just to be safe and keep the old ones safe until I learned how to use them correctly.
Nice piece of equipment there.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount those in a place of reverence. Keep grandpas lathe tools. Grab a few newschool tools and keep his lathe going!

That's a serious piece of Kit!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back