Finding Sauce (abandoning a forgotten about tank) 120G new to me build out

OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yessir. White lights went out an hour ago. I've double fed twice today to get everyone Full, and have been feeding aggressively in expectation of this. Blues are just barely on. The resident Purple was being a serious Richard but is really only flexing on the yellow.

Avast

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I forgot, this is the one in the big tank, the one in the little tank faces the wrong way for pics. :)

DSC_0010 (1024x683).jpg

OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Initial intro went pretty darn well all things considering. This is about 5 minutes after introduction. Desj and Kole Tang don't care about anything and just want to eat algae.. the yellow and purple are peeing on each other's legs but no real aggression. Just some flexin.

LRT

Wannabe Connoisseur of Shrooms
View Badges
Reaction score
Initial intro went pretty darn well all things considering. This is about 5 minutes after introduction. Desj and Kole Tang don't care about anything and just want to eat algae.. the yellow and purple are peeing on each other's legs but no real aggression. Just some flexin.
Look at that Earl rock man! A rock of Roxanne really would look nice with it lol.

Fritz
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Finally sat down with my Hanna checkers, read through the instructions completely twice and then wrote out my own instead of instructions that I could read through quickly while doing the tests.

As it was my first time with these tools I ran all tests twice. Numbers were confirmed.

I'm a little bummed that I got the low range nitrate as I definitely don't have under 5. The dilution seems like a pain and to still only be able to read up to 50. Not sure what I'm going to do there.

The following were surprising.

Alk 6.3
Phosphorus 200 ( did this mean it is over limit for the checker? .613 phosphate per Hanna chart. Also the highest the chart reads..
Calcium 471
Nitrate 5 flashing. Need to dilute w seawater, which I'm out of.

F i s h y

Franks crew...
View Badges
Reaction score
Finally sat down with my Hanna checkers, read through the instructions completely twice and then wrote out my own instead of instructions that I could read through quickly while doing the tests.

As it was my first time with these tools I ran all tests twice. Numbers were confirmed.

I'm a little bummed that I got the low range nitrate as I definitely don't have under 5. The dilution seems like a pain and to still only be able to read up to 50. Not sure what I'm going to do there.

The following were surprising.

Alk 6.3
Phosphorus 200 ( did this mean it is over limit for the checker? .613 phosphate per Hanna chart. Also the highest the chart reads..
Calcium 471
Nitrate 5 flashing. Need to dilute w seawater, which I'm out of.
200 is over range my old roommates tank was the same, finally had it down to 120 doing water changes and she quit doing them... mine is typically about 35 to 45 on my reef but lately as low as 10...

Maxout
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
200 is over range my old roommates tank was the same, finally had it down to 120 doing water changes and she quit doing them... mine is typically about 35 to 45 on my reef but lately as low as 10...
So with these numbers, could you help with what should be done? The numbers don't mean a whole lot to me.

Looks like alk needs to come up, calcium is a bit high. Not sure what needs done with that, phos and nitrate need to come down.

Larger/ more frequent water change?

I've just serviced my uv filter, replaced the bulb, cleaned the inside because I am getting a lot of algae growth. I've been heavy feeding to get the tangs in..

Help is appreciated.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So with these numbers, could you help with what should be done? The numbers don't mean a whole lot to me.

Looks like alk needs to come up, calcium is a bit high. Not sure what needs done with that, phos and nitrate need to come down.

Larger/ more frequent water change?

I've just serviced my uv filter, replaced the bulb, cleaned the inside because I am getting a lot of algae growth. I've been heavy feeding to get the tangs in..

Help is appreciated.

Small changes, don't sweat the nitrates and phos, I am Mr Notesting, nudge the alk up a touch and that should help lowering the cal.

Tommy's Phyto

F i s h y

Franks crew...
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you. What the preferred way to nudge up alkalinity?

I am new to messing with these things, always was a check out my coral if they look off do a water change guy...

Nitrates and phosphates not a huge deal, in my opinion better high than to low... very fine line at the bottom of the scale...

The rest, I'll learn along with you...

fishguy242

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
bump up alk slowly ,either liquid ,or level TBS baking soda in cup of rodi water in 100 gal should take up 3/4 to 1 dkh ,do every other day and monitor that and cal ,i like 9.5 and 450 cal..but watch your corals reaction !!! if been living low alk for a long time ,some might not like .
go slow..

Budmans

How healthy are your fish?

• All of them are Healthy

Votes: 312 80.8%
  • Most of them are Healthy

Votes: 50 13.0%
  • Half of them are Healthy

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Most are Unhealthy

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • All are Unhealthy

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 3.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!