Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs care package delivered yesterday and I was planning to drilling plumb the frag tank this weekend. You overflow arrived shattered so that part isn't an option unfortunately; (

I'd like to get some opinions before I drill for the returns. I plan on running a flow bar on the right side +as illustrated in blue tape, which will be fed by the return on the right.

Standard center overflow mounting

Where I'm getting stuck is on the left side return. This will be a sandless frag tank utilizing light diffuser held off of the bottom about an inch. I am planning to run one return on the bottom under the diffuser with a 3-in fan nozzle head to keep any junk off the bottom.
I would like to keep visual distractions low so I'm considering drilling the second return low in the tank on the left side. This would be blue tape hole number two.

The other option would be drilling the hole up top (blue tape #1) and plumbing down below the egg crate.

If I drill the left side at the bottom, would I be okay using a flow control valve, (gate) on the left side return line to keep the higher pressure to the spray bar with an additional 12" of head height from the pump? Given the lower return head height, I think that would naturally have more pressure which I don't want.

visual aids below. Yes my shop is a wreck.

PXL_20210501_153631459.jpg
PXL_20210501_153656854.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2 low will drain the tank if it fails big time imo, I would do a split locline up top because it gives loads of flexibility to change flow because you can aim them.
Just a thought on the spraybar, mine is drilled offset 90 degrees every other front hole and fires water down the back of my scape.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2 low will drain the tank if it fails big time imo, I would do a split locline up top because it gives loads of flexibility to change flow because you can aim them.
Just a thought on the spraybar, mine is drilled offset 90 degrees every other front hole and fires water down the back of my scape.
Aanddddd that's why I sanity check ideas before doing. You're absolutely right. Even with a check valve or two, that low hole is risky. I am planning a 30° offset in the drill pattern on the spray bar.

Am I understanding correctly that you would still have spraybar right, and a split loc on the left?

I would like to have at least one spray nozzle under the eggcrate. So I guess that would look like bulkhead to locline split. One loc arm routed down below and keep one up top, probably with one of those 3d printed rfg nozzles.

Thanks for the brain check. Outside perspective is invaluable.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aanddddd that's why I sanity check ideas before doing. You're absolutely right. Even with a check valve or two, that low hole is risky. I am planning a 30° offset in the drill pattern on the spray bar.

Am I understanding correctly that you would still have spraybar right, and a split loc on the left?

I would like to have at least one spray nozzle under the eggcrate. So I guess that would look like bulkhead to locline split. One loc arm routed down below and keep one up top, probably with one of those 3d printed rfg nozzles.

Thanks for the brain check. Outside perspective is invaluable.

The spraybar is along the back if you look from the front of the twins display, the split locline is in the puddle.

DSC_0009 (1024x454).jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
and no worries ,you have a long way to go ,to be considered on the trouble maker list... ;) :p

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a walk, cleared my head, bought @dyerrm some room in her new tank for new pretty things, and in typical me fashion, the panel is removed and the tank is prepped for a the new one. I couldn't stare at the broken piece. I'll be drilling the next one BEFORE installing it.

Good thing about this, is that I got some piece of mind. That panel was really hard to remove. Of course when you do something new, like glue up a tank from scratch, you question the integrity. I have no worries now. The seals were Great. I couldn't get a .0025" feeler gauge through most of it without gentle spreading action to separate the glass.

PXL_20210504_000256809.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a walk, cleared my head, bought @dyerrm some room in her new tank for new pretty things, and in typical me fashion, the panel is removed and the tank is prepped for a the new one. I couldn't stare at the broken piece. I'll be drilling the next one BEFORE installing it.

Good thing about this, is that I got some piece of mind. That panel was really hard to remove. Of course when you do something new, like glue up a tank from scratch, you question the integrity. I have no worries now. The seals were Great. I couldn't get a .0025" feeler gauge through most of it without gentle spreading action to separate the glass.

PXL_20210504_000256809.jpg
You've got this. Can't wait to see it go back together...

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got this. Can't wait to see it go back together...
Thanks J. I was pretty heated when I heard it PING releasing the internal pressure.

This comes after my overflow coming in damaged Friday afternoon. I'm starting to think Someone or Something doesn't want this tank to get wet

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks J. I was pretty heated when I heard it PING releasing the internal pressure.

This comes after my overflow coming in damaged Friday afternoon. I'm starting to think Someone or Something doesn't want this tank to get wet
Patience in all things... advice I'm better at giving than actually doing myself.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience in all things... advice I'm better at giving than actually doing myself.
This i know, butttttt my sump is overflowing, the light is underpowered for coral and my only other place is correctly under copper correction! I was hoping it have it up and running this Week. I'm be patient because I have to be, but as soon as the unbroken kit arrives, and the replacement piece of glass arrives, it's Go time.

When I'm building things, I don't normally have to wait on others. All the pieces of my furniture are built by me. I'm not used to this part.

Back