Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm losing my floor racks all they do is allow for stuff to accumulate under them. Going tiled on bottom and stepping up back with racks for shrooms and other corals that want MOAR lamp. Maybe even hanging rack on back idk. Its too easy to clean tiles and bare bottom tubs with simple half inch hose once dialed and stuffs dont want to grow anyway. Trying to get away from plastic it seems to take alot longer to establish biofilm and allow for algae to grow on as well.
I dont think your racks are raised enough either way you may be better off setting them on floor it will be easier to clean the squares with siphon hose.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I'd like to claim vanity is not at play here, I'd be lying.

Plan was a flow bar from the beginning. I cannot for the life of me get a configuration that works, and looks good so here's where we're sitting for now.

Trying to T into the left side down pipe and add another return nozzle then an inline ball valve to throttle the 2.5" fan that will blow under the eggcrate.

If I can't source the T, I'll throw a dc10 clone on the left side.

PXL_20210608_000540476.jpg
What are your dimensions on that beautiful box?

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm losing my floor racks all they do is allow for stuff to accumulate under them. Going tiled on bottom and stepping up back with racks for shrooms and other corals that want MOAR lamp. Maybe even hanging rack on back idk. Its too easy to clean tiles and bare bottom tubs with simple half inch hose once dialed and stuffs dont want to grow anyway. Trying to get away from plastic it seems to take alot longer to establish biofilm and allow for algae to grow on as well.
I dont think your racks are raised enough either way you may be better off setting them on floor it will be easier to clean the squares with siphon hose.
I'm honestly debating tiles on one side racks on the other. What tiles are you going with?

1) the racks aren't yet elevated. They are laying straight on the glass right now. I'm planning 1/2" cuts of 2" pvc, tacked to the bottom of the racks.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly debating tiles on one side racks on the other. What tiles are you going with?

1) the racks aren't yet elevated. They are laying straight on the glass right now. I'm planning 1/2" cuts of 2" pvc, tacked to the bottom of the racks.
My bad bro couldn't tell in the pic it looks elevated. Honestly that would work awesome if you could raise the floor and get wand under one side to blow the entire bottom out. In that setup and flow it looks like your going to end up with you may want all the top height you can get over the corals though. I got the 5x5 tiles from reef creators. They do have smaller ones. Alot of talk lately on barebottoms. Truth is it couldnt be easier to clean the bottom once cycled and as long as your diligent won't take long to completely cover it with coraline and corals. I like the tiles because they are more porous and probably allow for more surface space for bacteria and act kinda like live rock. Plus simple to remove and replace or cut up.
How deep is that tank again?
Its looking proper bro. You did a good job turning that into a legit frag tank man.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also im going to end up with 2 returns one on each corner. You may want to get one up top for surface movement.
@Eagle_Steve had a brilliant idea with siphon break holes drilled into locline. Im going to make my siphon break drill holes dbl as surface movement sprayers and try to keep dead spots moving and wands getting it all back to the wier. My 60 are almost identical to that and coast to coast as well.
20210607_175556.jpg

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad bro couldn't tell in the pic it looks elevated. Honestly that would work awesome if you could raise the floor and get wand under one side to blow the entire bottom out. In that setup and flow it looks like your going to end up with you may want all the top height you can get over the corals though. I got the 5x5 tiles from reef creators. They do have smaller ones. Alot of talk lately on barebottoms. Truth is it couldnt be easier to clean the bottom once cycled and as long as your diligent won't take long to completely cover it with coraline and corals. I like the tiles because they are more porous and probably allow for more surface space for bacteria and act kinda like live rock. Plus simple to remove and replace or cut up.
How deep is that tank again?
Its looking proper bro. You did a good job turning that into a legit frag tank man.
Thank you my man. Your words elevate me!

I want the bottom bare and accessible. Each one of these egg crate disks are cut to be individually removable. After losing the bounce from you, and watching a dozen earls jump under the racks and have to lift the whole thing up, I knew they had to be removable individually.

I like the wide splay underneath to like you said, keep constant flow under to keep everything from settling. There won't be many fish in here. 2 to 3 of current plan comes to fruition. One of my two springari died a few days into qt. Got one left and the mollies in SW. Original plan was one springari and a lawnmower Blenny. Both workers with a job. Pest and algea control. I've never kept a damsel but this one comes highly recommended from @Eagle_Steve. After a week in the DT, showing no signs of velvet, I may bring one into the frag tank and let it work on algea until enough is built up to warrant the Blenny.

I pulled the rock today that will be the main filtration down in the sump. Looks and feels like good stuff so I'm not too worried about bac. I'll have a 20 long full of rock under a30 gallon tank. I hope it's sufficient. Going the @F i s h y route. No skimmer, just rock.
PXL_20210607_223258828.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I want the bottom bare and accessible. Each one of these egg crate disks are cut to be individually removable. After losing the bounce from you, and watching a dozen earls jump under the racks and have to lift the whole thing up, I knew they had to be removable individually.

I like the wide splay underneath to like you said, keep constant flow under to keep everything from settling. There won't be many fish in here. 2 to 3 of current plan comes to fruition. One of my two springari died a few days into qt. Got one left and the mollies in SW. Original plan was one springari and a lawnmower Blenny. Both workers with a job. Pest and algea control. I've never kept a damsel but this one comes highly recommended from @Eagle_Steve. After a week in the DT, showing no signs of velvet, I may bring one into the frag tank and let it work on algea until enough is built up to warrant the Blenny.

I pulled the rock today that will be the main filtration down in the sump. Looks and feels like good stuff so I'm not too worried about bac. I'll have a 20 long full of rock under a30 gallon tank. I hope it's sufficient. Going the @F i s h y route. No skimmer, just rock.
Right on my broseph:D What ive probably never talked about is the fact I have extra racks i just trade them out when I do my maintenance thats why they never look dirty:D At least for to long lol. I did turn a beard brush into a siphon brush that cleans them up pretty good when im lazy. Takes forever to get coraline to grow on them though.
My mushrooms poop alot bro but my tables are pretty full. You would be surprised man ill take pix when I tear it down lol. Love the sprayer on the other side. I'm thinking one wand and one sprayer like yours but keeps the wands up top forcing water to wier. Cant wait to see what you come up with!

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also im going to end up with 2 returns one on each corner. You may want to get one up top for surface movement.
@Eagle_Steve had a brilliant idea with siphon break holes drilled into locline. Im going to make my siphon break drill holes dbl as surface movement sprayers and try to keep dead spots moving and wands getting it all back to the wier. My 60 are almost identical to that and coast to coast as well.
20210607_175556.jpg
I have siphon breaks drilled on the returns on the DT already. That's one thing I did week 1.

This tank is doing to be mostly viewed from the top. I don't really want water spraying onto the surface causing bubbles. On the Dt I've got my holes oriented at 10 o'clock. This gives me surface agitation as well as the siphon break just in case.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stop inspiring me to set up a frag tank!
Stop It Fox Tv GIF by Empire FOX

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have siphon breaks drilled on the returns on the DT already. That's one thing I did week 1.

This tank is doing to be mostly viewed from the top. I don't really want water spraying onto the surface causing bubbles. On the Dt I've got my holes oriented at 10 o'clock. This gives me surface agitation as well as the siphon break just in case.
Thing I'm gonna miss most is the top down but I am going to reconfigure 1 table so i can keep my top down fetish

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing I'm gonna miss most is the top down but I am going to reconfigure 1 table so i can keep my top down fetish
No one said you cant put that pump in feed mode and drop some hot pics from up high.... ;)

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok @fishy is right though I forgot this pump has that option:D But yeah gonna be wierd not be able to get on top of them and see them in all the glory.
Your mushroom top downs are why I'm building this low. Realistically the best stock will probably end up in the DT but hope to have something worth looking at from the top.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back