Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I think the stress of the move got to one fish. Fortunately is was one that I wasn't going to be able to keep anyways as it was a large tomini that would have I'm sure wanted to battle my yellow eye Kole.

Side note, anyone know what this little handsome guy is called?
That looks like a neon dottyback (Pseudochromis aldabraensis).

99problemsandatankisone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. What kind of trials did you go through in order to bring it back?

I'm currently fighting super high nitrates. I've been moving the old, dirty LR around A lot in the last two weeks to settle into my aquascape and despite shaking it clean initially, there is still a lot of gunk.

My current working theory is that I am putting all the junk into the water while messing with the aquascape. Today I'm going to turkey baster, power head blast all the rock that I can see, then pull out 20g of nasty water and replace with new, clean water.

Filter will be cleaned Saturday morning as my normal schedule.

What's got me slightly freaking out is I went a little ham on the wwc flash sale last weekend and as of March 15th I will have a new tenants in the tank

Everyone is currently SUPER happy and colorful and active. I don't want to screw to the new arrivals and have nowhere to stage them if the tank ISN'T ready.

20210222_142154-COLLAGE.jpg
20210222_142418-COLLAGE.jpg
I also started with a hand off tank. My biggest recommendation is to clean all the detritus out with a turkey baster and a shot glass. I fought high nitrates as well and nothing got them down until I went around sucking all the crap up with a turkey baster and slowly filling a shot glass with it, it took a couple weekends and a lot of stirred up crap, but that dropped my nitrates significantly. I also recommend a Cheto refugium, it can be as simple as a hang on back from Amazon to get you started.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also started with a hand off tank. My biggest recommendation is to clean all the detritus out with a turkey baster and a shot glass. I fought high nitrates as well and nothing got them down until I went around sucking all the crap up with a turkey baster and slowly filling a shot glass with it, it took a couple weekends and a lot of stirred up crap, but that dropped my nitrates significantly. I also recommend a Cheto refugium, it can be as simple as a hang on back from Amazon to get you started.
Hi, thanks for reading up. I also found this to be the case. I've lowered nitrates now to 60 in the bowfront, but am in process of moving everything over to the new 120. My current sump doesn't have room for a refugium which may have to change.

With this tank I didn't make the same mistake. I had a "dirty water" bucket and was cleaning rock with it and the spray from a turkey baster.

I also trashed all of the sand. I wasn't going to bring that mess into the tank again.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So heaters Do fail in the on position. I've been monitoring and noting temp since seeing it up. Yesterday night, the old heater failed in the on position (obviously).. I caught it by 82.. pulled the old one and installed the backup 300 w I have. We're settled back at 77-78

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So heaters Do fail in the on position. I've been monitoring and noting temp since seeing it up. Yesterday night, the old heater failed in the on position (obviously).. I caught it by 82.. pulled the old one and installed the backup 300 w I have. We're settled back at 77-78
Get an inkbird controller set temp on heater a couple degrees above the controller.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replace heaters w ehiem's ,when if fail shut off..;):cool:
Thanks. I just got two fluval 300's when I picked up the bow front so I actually had a backup ready. Will look fully submergible next time. These dont look like they are as they have a water line mark at the top

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb Question, feel free to poke fun.

Do all p skimmers have a removable cup or should I have to remove the whole thing iot dump it?

Here's the model. I know Nothing about skimmers.
PXL_20210303_183211703.jpg
Almost all skimmers have a removable cup. The sca skimmers, you just remove the screw that holds the silencer and then lift the cup off. Or you take the lid off and remove. I preferred the screw removal when I used an sca for a rock curing bin. Spilled the cup to many times without a lid on it lol.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all skimmers have a removable cup. The sca skimmers, you just remove the screw that holds the silencer and then lift the cup off. Or you take the lid off and remove. I preferred the screw removal when I used an sca for a rock curing bin. Spilled the cup to many times without a lid on it lol.
Thank you. The sump and everything in it is pretty freaking disgusting. I'm thinking this weekend I will break it down, clean everything, which will inevitably teach me what's what.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back