Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yessir. White lights went out an hour ago. I've double fed twice today to get everyone Full, and have been feeding aggressively in expectation of this. Blues are just barely on. The resident Purple was being a serious Richard but is really only flexing on the yellow.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot, this is the one in the big tank, the one in the little tank faces the wrong way for pics. :)

DSC_0010 (1024x683).jpg

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial intro went pretty darn well all things considering. This is about 5 minutes after introduction. Desj and Kole Tang don't care about anything and just want to eat algae.. the yellow and purple are peeing on each other's legs but no real aggression. Just some flexin.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial intro went pretty darn well all things considering. This is about 5 minutes after introduction. Desj and Kole Tang don't care about anything and just want to eat algae.. the yellow and purple are peeing on each other's legs but no real aggression. Just some flexin.
Look at that Earl rock man! A rock of Roxanne really would look nice with it lol.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally sat down with my Hanna checkers, read through the instructions completely twice and then wrote out my own instead of instructions that I could read through quickly while doing the tests.

As it was my first time with these tools I ran all tests twice. Numbers were confirmed.

I'm a little bummed that I got the low range nitrate as I definitely don't have under 5. The dilution seems like a pain and to still only be able to read up to 50. Not sure what I'm going to do there.

The following were surprising.

Alk 6.3
Phosphorus 200 ( did this mean it is over limit for the checker? .613 phosphate per Hanna chart. Also the highest the chart reads..
Calcium 471
Nitrate 5 flashing. Need to dilute w seawater, which I'm out of.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally sat down with my Hanna checkers, read through the instructions completely twice and then wrote out my own instead of instructions that I could read through quickly while doing the tests.

As it was my first time with these tools I ran all tests twice. Numbers were confirmed.

I'm a little bummed that I got the low range nitrate as I definitely don't have under 5. The dilution seems like a pain and to still only be able to read up to 50. Not sure what I'm going to do there.

The following were surprising.

Alk 6.3
Phosphorus 200 ( did this mean it is over limit for the checker? .613 phosphate per Hanna chart. Also the highest the chart reads..
Calcium 471
Nitrate 5 flashing. Need to dilute w seawater, which I'm out of.
200 is over range my old roommates tank was the same, finally had it down to 120 doing water changes and she quit doing them... mine is typically about 35 to 45 on my reef but lately as low as 10...

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
only have done twice, but does match api both times.. ;)

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 is over range my old roommates tank was the same, finally had it down to 120 doing water changes and she quit doing them... mine is typically about 35 to 45 on my reef but lately as low as 10...
So with these numbers, could you help with what should be done? The numbers don't mean a whole lot to me.

Looks like alk needs to come up, calcium is a bit high. Not sure what needs done with that, phos and nitrate need to come down.

Larger/ more frequent water change?

I've just serviced my uv filter, replaced the bulb, cleaned the inside because I am getting a lot of algae growth. I've been heavy feeding to get the tangs in..

Help is appreciated.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with these numbers, could you help with what should be done? The numbers don't mean a whole lot to me.

Looks like alk needs to come up, calcium is a bit high. Not sure what needs done with that, phos and nitrate need to come down.

Larger/ more frequent water change?

I've just serviced my uv filter, replaced the bulb, cleaned the inside because I am getting a lot of algae growth. I've been heavy feeding to get the tangs in..

Help is appreciated.

Small changes, don't sweat the nitrates and phos, I am Mr Notesting, nudge the alk up a touch and that should help lowering the cal.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. What the preferred way to nudge up alkalinity?

I am new to messing with these things, always was a check out my coral if they look off do a water change guy...

Nitrates and phosphates not a huge deal, in my opinion better high than to low... very fine line at the bottom of the scale...

The rest, I'll learn along with you...

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump up alk slowly ,either liquid ,or level TBS baking soda in cup of rodi water in 100 gal should take up 3/4 to 1 dkh ,do every other day and monitor that and cal ,i like 9.5 and 450 cal..but watch your corals reaction !!! if been living low alk for a long time ,some might not like .
go slow..

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back