Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. What the preferred way to nudge up alkalinity?
As everyone else said, slow movements. Raising alk will help drop your calcium, as well as just allowing the corals to consume it. You can find a dosage calculator for most brands, many will either tell you x amount over y days, OR tell you a lump sum to dose which you can divvy up over a few days yourself.

Have you checked the levels your salt mixes at? A lot of brands mix at high calcium, I've never bothered with trying to lower mine. Consumption will do it over time and my salt brand just runs high to begin with so any time I perform a water change I'm raising it again anyway. (I don't do a lot of water changes). On that note, my salt brand also mixes at a lower alk than I actually run my tank so I do have to dose that before adding new water to level it out. Definitely important to test a fresh batch and know what to expect.

I don't test phos or nitrate unless I get a random algae bloom. I don't normally even test calcium to be honest, but I added a lot of corals recently and noticed a growth spurt in my clam and stunner so I checked and had to dose extra. I usually just let my doser run and clock my numbers on calcium and magnesium when I do ICPs and do minor adjustments as needed.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPAM
20210402_190828.jpg
Gimme a week.. I'll go clown for clown with you ;)

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As everyone else said, slow movements. Raising alk will help drop your calcium, as well as just allowing the corals to consume it. You can find a dosage calculator for most brands, many will either tell you x amount over y days, OR tell you a lump sum to dose which you can divvy up over a few days yourself.

Have you checked the levels your salt mixes at? A lot of brands mix at high calcium, I've never bothered with trying to lower mine. Consumption will do it over time and my salt brand just runs high to begin with so any time I perform a water change I'm raising it again anyway. (I don't do a lot of water changes). On that note, my salt brand also mixes at a lower alk than I actually run my tank so I do have to dose that before adding new water to level it out. Definitely important to test a fresh batch and know what to expect.

I don't test phos or nitrate unless I get a random algae bloom. I don't normally even test calcium to be honest, but I added a lot of corals recently and noticed a growth spurt in my clam and stunner so I checked and had to dose extra. I usually just let my doser run and clock my numbers on calcium and magnesium when I do ICPs and do minor adjustments as needed.
I have not tested fresh salt water but probably should. I'm still buying water from the LFS. I haven't gotten around to a rodi yet. This is great info thanks.

In other news, I switched out lights today. Removed the black boxes and 48" light bar and replaced with my reef LED 90s. I made them from scrap mahogany and purple heart. They are able to slide back and forth in the cradle so I can adjust them. I really really dislike the cross bracing in my tank. There are two and literally right under where I need the light. To make it worse, they are two pane glass and water has gotten between them. The only plus side I see is that I should run more consistent and not have a hot spot right under them.

PXL_20210403_021336703.MP.jpg
PXL_20210403_021342961.MP.jpg

And FTS with the new light.
PXL_20210403_021501699.jpg

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of the 4 tangs have really settled into the new tank. The new Desjardini, that is the largest of the bunch has decided that he's a scardy cat cave dweller.. which isn't a lot of awesome.

In your experience, how long has it taken for fish (theoretically first time in a real tank since the wild) to acclimate to the environment and act normally? I'm hoping this isn't just his personality. I haven't seen it out but once and when it sees me, it's OUT

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of the 4 tangs have really settled into the new tank. The new Desjardini, that is the largest of the bunch has decided that he's a scardy cat cave dweller.. which isn't a lot of awesome.

In your experience, how long has it taken for fish (theoretically first time in a real tank since the wild) to acclimate to the environment and act normally? I'm hoping this isn't just his personality. I haven't seen it out but once and when it sees me, it's OUT

I would say normal for a lot of tangs, not had one of those though, "home" factors like kids, pets etc make a difference, slow and calm around the tank helps but spend time near the tank just sitting and being around if you can, hope it settles soon. :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
should not take long with Desi,long as not being bullied ,will be eating out of your hand in no time..;)

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say normal for a lot of tangs, not had one of those though, "home" factors like kids, pets etc make a difference, slow and calm around the tank helps but spend time near the tank just sitting and being around if you can, hope it settles soon. :)
Thanks. The landing where the tank is located is the lowest traffic area in the house. It's the zen spot.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should not take long with Desi,long as not being bullied ,will be eating out of your hand in no time..;)
I definitely would not say bullied. The og purple tang is still a bit flashy at times. The yellow wants to be the desjarsinis bff. I'm thinking he will come around. Just impatient. Got this beautiful fish I've been waiting a month for, and now he doesn't like to swim.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would not say bullied. The og purple tang is still a bit flashy at times. The yellow wants to be the desjarsinis bff. I'm thinking he will come around. Just impatient. Got this beautiful fish I've been waiting a month for, and now he doesn't like to swim.

Change it's fav. spot, doesn't need a re scape just put a rock in the way, really upsets the resident ime.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the opinion on filter socks vs no?

Just set up the 40b with Fiji cube baffle set and honestly really dislike the filter socks. They are SO fine that just a thin film on them causes enough back pressure after 2 days that it bypasses them completely. There are 3 socks total.

If I were to remove all three of them, would it be smart to fill that area with live rock rubble?

Are there better options than the mesh socks?

If removed, would I need to add a filter before the skimmer to keep large particulates out?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the opinion on filter socks vs no?

Just set up the 40b with Fiji cube baffle set and honestly really dislike the filter socks. They are SO fine that just a thin film on them causes enough back pressure after 2 days that it bypasses them completely. There are 3 socks total.

If I were to remove all three of them, would it be smart to fill that area with live rock rubble?

Are there better options than the mesh socks?

If removed, would I need to add a filter before the skimmer to keep large particulates out?

I would remove them and get a good refugium going.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can use filter cups also ,floss,etc ;)
I'll check them out. When I had 7 in fabric filter socks, I cleaned them out every week but it didn't even seem needed at that point. These new thinner mesh film clogged back very quickly.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes the mesh are horrible ,too fine for a large system.. ;)

Back