Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been dosing seachem reef builder in an attempt to raise my pH. Started at 6.6, bumping up against 8 now. The problem I'm having now is elevated pH which is sitting at 8.4.

I've got a ways to go to peg dkh at 9 which was my plan but can't really move much more without the pH getting too high.

Any ideas here? I was under the impression from their material that reef builder does not substantially raise pH in the water. I've gone up .4.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
never have before ..been using baking soda, new ph monitor ,not seeing change in ph ,about 2 weeks w ph monitor 7.9 night ,8,1 peak day,but have been using the b soda since fall..
see i'm a big help.. ;Facepalm

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never have before ..been using baking soda, new ph monitor ,not seeing change in ph ,about 2 weeks w ph monitor 7.9 night ,8,1 peak day,but have been using the b soda since fall..
see i'm a big help.. ;Facepalm
Experience is always helpful.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the product your using but could have sworn i seen Randy talking about locking in Alk with PH the other day.
I know this doesn't help. I'm in same boat as Frank with my PH right now.
I've got 3 lines ran outside pulling serious air. 2x huge skimmers now..
At night 7.9. During day I can peak around 8.2.
If I open my window at night I can keep around 8.2.
Its perplexing because my co2 in house only peaks around 4-500.
When my humidity raises to around 50% my ph lowers.
Idk what to think other than maybe humidity is a really big deal and thats most likely going to be my next battle.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to take a water sample down to my LFS today just to confirm my measurements. I suppose the best start is too ensure my measuring devices are locked in. I'm using the Hanna alk and blue pen pH pen. Both not cheap pieces of testing equipment but still could be off.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to take a water sample down to my LFS today just to confirm my measurements. I suppose the best start is too ensure my measuring devices are locked in. I'm using the Hanna alk and blue pen pH pen. Both not cheap pieces of testing equipment but still could be off.
Great idea. When I do test i typically do bring a sample to have lfs confirm my results.
I can tell you I love the seneye for ph alone. My API test kit was sub par at best and not even really close to what I am seeing now. Could also be human error on my part with API ph kit though

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. When I do test i typically do bring a sample to have lfs confirm my results.
I can tell you I love the seneye for ph alone. My API test kit was sub par at best and not even really close to what I am seeing now. Could also be human error on my part with API ph kit though
I'm testing often as I'm still trying to get dialed in.

I'm used to dialing in my plant nutrient pH but have never delt with aquarium pH before.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i believe in checking ph at same time of day ,every time you check/test ,rises and falls constant ,
but again no help as i go all dark at night ,no sump/fuge/scrubber light ...:D
feel ok 7.9- 8.2 flux no prob..;)

edit, also taking sample 1/2 hr to shop,ph is dropping in sample..jmo

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally stopped chasing pH when I realized our CO2 canister was leaking in the old bar ;) I actually added a pH monitor recently and seem to have balanced out 7.9-8.2 fairly consistently. Rainy days drop it, extra humid days seem to as well. I'm just looking for consistency at this point.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe in checking ph at same time of day ,every time you check/test ,rises and falls constant ,
but again no help as i go all dark at night ,no sump/fuge/scrubber light ...:D
feel ok 7.9- 8.2 flux no prob..;)

edit, also taking sample 1/2 hr to shop,ph is dropping in sample..jmo
The shopping is mandatory!

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is the measurement of buffering capacity in your tank. The point of keeping it at 9 is to prevent pH swings. Natural seawater isn’t that high, and it doesn’t need to be. It’s a measurement of how much acid (like CO2) your tank can absorb (buffer against) without causing changes in pH. So they are directly related, yes.

Not enough CO2 it sounds like. Over skimming? Though I think I saw on here where Randy said skimmers typically increase your CO2, hence why everyone else is running their air lines in from outside. But that depends on what your CO2 levels are inside. If the tank has more CO2 than the air, the skimmer will decrease your CO2.

Too much algae maybe? Nitrification process in established systems usually drags pH down, anyway, from the release of hydrogen molecules involved, which is why you see tanks slowly creep down as they become more established. I’ll have to go back over your thread and have another look at everything you have running.

Reef Builder should tend to stabilize at pH of 8.3 with long term use. You could always bubble CO2 (to lower pH without affecting alkalinity) but that might get expensive. Btw; I spent all day yesterday puzzling over this...thanks, lol. ;Bookworm Would definitely have my test double checked so I think you made a good call there.

-waits patiently to be corrected-
Edit: I corrected myself first, dang it.

Last edited:

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what did you find out?

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is the measurement of buffering capacity in your tank. The point of keeping it at 9 is to prevent pH swings. Natural seawater isn’t that high, and it doesn’t need to be. It’s a measurement of how much acid (like CO2) your tank can absorb (buffer against) without causing changes in pH. So they are directly related, yes.

Not enough CO2 it sounds like. Over skimming? Though I think I saw on here where Randy said skimmers typically increase your O2, hence why everyone else is running their air lines in from outside. But that depends on what your O2 levels are inside. If the tank has more O2 than the air, the skimmer will decrease your O2.

Too much algae maybe? Nitrification process in established systems usually drags pH down, anyway, from the release of hydrogen molecules involved, which is why you see tanks slowly creep down as they become more established. I’ll have to go back over your thread and have another look at everything you have running.

Reef Builder should tend to stabilize at pH of 8.3 with long term use. You could always bubble CO2 (to lower pH without affecting alkalinity) but that might get expensive. Btw; I spent all day yesterday puzzling over this...thanks, lol. ;Bookworm Would definitely have my test double checked so I think you made a good call there.

-waits patiently to be corrected-
Edit: I corrected myself first, dang it.
Wow thanks for the write up. Honestly, I need to reread it a few times and chew on it before I'll fully understand. Just how my brain works.

My skimmer runs 24/7 and my house is never shut down. Windows always open and normally a whole house fan pulling air in and exhausting through the roof.

Other than film algea on the glass, I'm not really growing algea anywhere else in my tank, which is preposterous to me because my nitrates and phos are always quite elevated. Since adding sand to the tank, I had a bit of a bloom for a few weeks and once the silica was gone, so went the algea.

I suppose I was extrapolating an issue that may not actually be one. If reef builder buffers to settle at a certain pH, I guess I can continue trying to raise the alk, while monitoring pH and see if it continues to increase or stays the same 8.3-8.4 space.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back