Finding the "sweet spot" for your new acro frags...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your process for finding the best spot in your tank for your new acro frags? Do you start them out on the sand bed? Do you adjust lighting to acclimate? What's your process with newly purchased frags from start to finish once they get to your DT?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy the corals online chances are they were blasted by more light then I'm giving them. I don't worry too much and just place based on what my end goal is. If it's something like a WD where it needs tons of light to get its colors out, it goes on top. If it's something like a setosa, it's near the bottom or sides. I buy most of my frags with a placement in mind.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gently whisper in its polyps asking where it wants to be glued and listen for a response, half the time it lies to me then turns brown.

Jk

I actually just ask the owner of the LFS about their light info - par, schedule, spectrum etc.. if it is close to mine in terms of schedule and spectrum, then I would directly glue to a spot that match the PAR (I have mapped the par of my whole tank). No acclimation necessary.

If different from my tank, I would acclimate based on difference.

Edit: I do still do a quick temperature and water acclimation, then do a rx dip, before putting in DT

carlmaximillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start my new additions out in lower light conditions and gradually move them upwards towards the par I'm looking to have them under long term. Gradually is usually over 1 month of time. I dip and remove/exchange fragplugs if possible before they go in the DT.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back