Finished Cycling and water change completed..next step..Fish...how to do it properly

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I just completed by Dr. Tims cycle on a new 90gl. I also just completed 100% water change. I am ready to move forward with my first fish. I will add a pair of clowns. I see so many threads on how to do this. I was wondering what the common practice is now for putting in the first fish. Is there a thread that details this? Do I need a QT tank to start? Trying to understand how to proceed forward.

Also...is there anything that I should look for at the LFS to tell me if their fish is a good choice vs another LFS?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I just completed by Dr. Tims cycle on a new 90gl. I also just completed 100% water change. I am ready to move forward with my first fish. I will add a pair of clowns. I see so many threads on how to do this. I was wondering what the common practice is now for putting in the first fish. Is there a thread that details this? Do I need a QT tank to start? Trying to understand how to proceed forward.

Also...is there anything that I should look for at the LFS to tell me if their fish is a good choice vs another LFS?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
This might be a good place to start :D

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I’ve also asked for the no- quarantine crew to post their options but instead of a long post, we want to see a link.

qt and fallow have very specific action links handy (above) where we don’t need someone’s summary to know which direction to take we can evaluate the follow up from the enrollees

in my cycle threads people are directed into the fish disease forum to make their best guess. What’s linked up top is the hobby’s strongest trending practices, and anyone can work hard to elevate a work thread into that kind of reference. We need a clear order of ops, and minimum fifty pages of work with live tanks, then a pattern emerges nobody needs to summarize or duel over

work links and patterns are really beautiful things. rare, too

While procedural claims run high in opinion posts, work threads where someone from every state tests a claim for fifty pages run rare. we have no current better option % wise than quarantine and fallow. I like saying it that way because it doesn’t offend non quarantiners, it’s simply a request for data I can read myself.

Last edited:

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I’ve also asked for the no- quarantine crew to post their options but instead of a long post, we want to see a link.

qt and fallow have very specific action links handy (above) where we don’t need someone’s summary to know which direction to take we can evaluate the follow up from the enrollees
I don’t quarantine my own fish personally. So I am following along for that write up. There’s definitely divided camps here on R2R.
I always share the “pro quarantine” link to new people so they can make their own decisions from there haha

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that the fish at the LFS is eating and looks to be in overall good health. When you determine that it is healthy and eating with no spots or signs of stress get them into a quarantine tank for an observation period and go from there. There are several threads and how to’s on quarantining new livestock. But the best advise is to BE PATIENT! I know it’s hard to look at an empty tank after it cycles anticipating seeing fish in there but the quarantine period for your livestock contributes to the health and longevity of your reef tank. Just my $.02

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back