Finnex Heater HMH 500S cooked my tank

Kellyntx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up Thursday to a horrible smell. I thought my kids left the oven in it something. When I went in the living room my tank was cloudy and the external temp display was blinking 98.9. I reached into the water and it was very hot. All of my fish were floating (except for a freshwater molly) and all of my coral was gone. I’m completely heartbroken. Has anyone else had this happen? I contacted finnex and they want me to send the heater in for testing. This tank was 2 years old and finally starting to really take off.
E83B79BB-5131-4B2E-A6D4-1B5C6206B7F8.jpeg
340F81A1-BF58-4C4D-94C3-C2037B04DC5D.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry this happened. I'll never run a single heater strong enough to cook my tank. Always 2x heaters at around 60% strength. Always on a controller as well. Redundancy is paramount when dealing with aquarium heaters that are destined to eventually fail.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These posts always hit me right in the gut. I am incredibly sorry for your losses.

As stated above, some form of redundancy is crucial. I run a ranco controller with two jager heaters. Ultimately I'd like to have the ranco behind a hydros or apex.

Hope you pull through and rebuild something even better with this unfortunate experience under your belt.

OP
OP
K

Kellyntx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These posts always hit me right in the gut. I am incredibly sorry for your losses.

As stated above, some form of redundancy is crucial. I run a ranco controller with two jager heaters. Ultimately I'd like to have the ranco behind a hydros or apex.

Hope you pull through and rebuild something even better with this unfortunate experience under your belt.
Definitely a lesson learned. I just broke the tank down going to turn it into a fish only. I have a small 18G cube with coral. For now that will have to do.

OP
OP
K

Kellyntx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry this happened. I'll never run a single heater strong enough to cook my tank. Always 2x heaters at around 60% strength. Always on a controller as well. Redundancy is paramount when dealing with aquarium heaters that are destined to eventually fail.
Definitely learned my lesson.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh no !! Ive had my heater for 2 years- no issues. Finnex 800wt/ Ive always used finnex

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 small heaters, replace annually, and consider a stagger replacement to get different batches, or use two separate but reliable brands. I'm also running one aquasmart heater alarms. It'll cut power at 84 or something like that as a backup to the heater thermostat.

Only a fail on position doser tied to kalk can nuke a tank so thoroughly as a heater.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back