Finrot on my clown? How to solve it?

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please find attached a picture of my clown. So as you can see his tail fin seems a bit damaged.

how do I find out what's causing it? is it dangerous? and how do i solve it?

0510B284-24BB-4D84-9957-CA3F96F4DAED.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the other clown is much smaller and is not aggresive at all, this one with the damaged tail is the aggresive one. There are no other fish in the tank
It looks like nipping from another fish. Just my $0.02.

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the other clown is much smaller and is not aggresive at all, this one with the damaged tail is the aggresive one. There are no other fish in the tank
0510B284-24BB-4D84-9957-CA3F96F4DAED_edit_1415855810927703.png

The nip marks circled are highly consistent with this clownfish being chased and nipped.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please find attached a picture of my clown. So as you can see his tail fin seems a bit damaged.

how do I find out what's causing it? is it dangerous? and how do i solve it?

0510B284-24BB-4D84-9957-CA3F96F4DAED.png

That sort of look is almost always from an injury. Either another fish, or from a net when it was caught up and moved to a new tank, etc. True fin rot, starting with no previous mechanical damage is very rare, and looks smoother along the margin.

In any event, the treatment would be a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank, along with isolating the fish from any possible cause of the damage.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That sort of look is almost always from an injury. Either another fish, or from a net when it was caught up and moved to a new tank, etc. True fin rot, starting with no previous mechanical damage is very rare, and looks smoother along the margin.

In any event, the treatment would be a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank, along with isolating the fish from any possible cause of the damage.

Jay
Would you consider watching it in an observation tank first - as compared to treating immediately? I thought as others that it was mostly injury.

For all of our knowledge - and I think I know the answer but I'm not sure. Are the levels that we eventually get when dosing antibiotics in our tanks (in the water) - the same levels that are attained in the human body - i.e. can you use the M.I.C. (minimum inhibitory concentration) from the tables to try to determine whether drug x is likely to work? Second - do you of any topical treatments that can be used (other than antibiotics) for injuries such as this - i.e. do you think stress coat, etc help?)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider watching it in an observation tank first - as compared to treating immediately? I thought as others that it was mostly injury.

For all of our knowledge - and I think I know the answer but I'm not sure. Are the levels that we eventually get when dosing antibiotics in our tanks (in the water) - the same levels that are attained in the human body - i.e. can you use the M.I.C. (minimum inhibitory concentration) from the tables to try to determine whether drug x is likely to work? Second - do you of any topical treatments that can be used (other than antibiotics) for injuries such as this - i.e. do you think stress coat, etc help?)

IMO - if you are going to set the fish up in a new tank (as opposed to just using a tank divider) you might want to treat with an antibiotic just to play it safe. In this case, if the OP is correct and there was no mechanical damage, then for sure you would want to use an antibiotic.

I don't use topical medications, they rinse off too fast, and the extra handling usually just makes the issue worse.

I also do not rely on any of the "bandages in a bottle" for anything more than dechlorinators. The idea that they will preferentially seek and and coat injured areas is false, they coat the whole fish, including the gills. People tend to use these as an easy primary medication and that is a mistake.

Jay

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, i checked again now and it seems the tail is more damaged than 3 days ago ( when i made the first picture). The stange thing is that its only his tail but the rest of the fins looks normal
The only other fish in the tank is the smaller clown and he is really not aggresive, so i can not believe that it would be the small clown nipping, the smaller clown always seems to be a bit afraid of this clown
8EE025AA-CE63-4D31-B761-CE7A1B24762D.jpeg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm, i checked again now and it seems the tail is more damaged than 3 days ago ( when i made the first picture)

I dont now if you saw @Jay Hemdal 's post just above - he suggested - a QT and antibiotic treatment. I agree with that especially I worse (from this picture I don't see it exactly) -

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hmm, i checked again now and it seems the tail is more damaged than 3 days ago ( when i made the first picture). The stange thing is that its only his tail but the rest of the fins looks normal
The only other fish in the tank is the smaller clown and he is really not aggresive, so i can not believe that it would be the small clown nipping, the smaller clown always seems to be a bit afraid of this clown
To be sure, Set up your phone on video mode. Drop some food and walk away for at least 45 min mins (you Must walk away) and come back and review video. Often aggressors will get aggressive at feeding time trying to dominate the food. You may then see whats going on here

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be sure, Set up your phone on video mode. Drop some food and walk away for at least 45 min mins (you Must walk away) and come back and review video. Often aggressors will get aggressive at feeding time trying to dominate the food. You may then see whats going on here
Hmm yes, but the bigger clown is always chasing the small one when i drop food. Then the small one waits and its showing respect to the dominate one, the small one wait for his turn. But the damaged fin fish is the big clown, thats the strange..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hmm yes, but the bigger clown is always chasing the small one when i drop food. Then the small one waits and its showing respect to the dominate one, the small one wait for his turn. But the damaged fin fish is the big clown, thats the strange..
Bigger being female is often the aggressor but smaller (male at times) will at times defend itself. Reason males are often smaller is that females steal all the food. Viddeo will detail what is happening in your absence.

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im back from a short holiday and it looks like it got a bit worse, attached the foto of her tail. I still dont know what causes it but she seems fine relax and eats like normal. Any one who has experienced a situation like this? I dont know if this will be harmfull or not..

Attachments

• 956CA109-EEAC-477A-A756-8272866EC414.jpeg
    956CA109-EEAC-477A-A756-8272866EC414.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 25

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im back from a short holiday and it looks like it got a bit worse, attached the foto of her tail. I still dont know what causes it but she seems fine relax and eats like normal. Any one who has experienced a situation like this? I dont know if this will be harmfull or not..

Those are indeed getting worse. If that doesn't stop, it will eventually consume the entire tail, so I think my previous advice would be what you should do now:

"the treatment would be a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank, along with isolating the fish from any possible cause of the damage."

That said, it looks like this fish also has white stringy feces. That can be from a number of causes, some more of a problem than others.
Is the fish still eating well?

Jay

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are indeed getting worse. If that doesn't stop, it will eventually consume the entire tail, so I think my previous advice would be what you should do now:

"the treatment would be a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank, along with isolating the fish from any possible cause of the damage."

That said, it looks like this fish also has white stringy feces. That can be from a number of causes, some more of a problem than others.
Is the fish still eating well?

Jay
Hi Jay, sorry but I really dont know anything about this antibiotic treatment, is there any topic here where this is explained step by step? ( the hospital tank is already set up some time ago, and it is free to use)

and the white poop can be of the mysys. I feed them now 3 times a day and they are both always eager to eat a lot. No other problems/stressfull behaviour.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, sorry but I really dont know anything about this antibiotic treatment, is there any topic here where this is explained step by step? ( the hospital tank is already set up some time ago, and it is free to use)

and the white poop can be of the mysys. I feed them now 3 times a day and they are both always eager to eat a lot. No other problems/stressfull behaviour.

Antibiotic treatments for marine fish generally revolve around using a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. I'm not sure what you might have available to you in Spain. I like to use Neoplex. You could also use Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 in conjunction.

If you have other types of antibiotics, I can look them up for you as far as dose and how well they might work.

Jay

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotic treatments for marine fish generally revolve around using a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. I'm not sure what you might have available to you in Spain. I like to use Neoplex. You could also use Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 in conjunction.

If you have other types of antibiotics, I can look them up for you as far as dose and how well they might work.

Jay
I checked and I see I could get Neoplex from seachem imported from Amazon US ( takes 8 days for delivery). This should be the right one? And how long will take this treatment in general? And how do I know after the DT is free of any bacteria that causes the tail damage?

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Hi Jay, do you think Rally Pro will be a good alternative to try first in the display tank? I read it can cure also fin damage.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back