Fire fish being bullied or fin rot?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a 50gal with 2 clowns, Midas blenny, purple fire fish, ywmg/candy cane pistol, and a melanarus wrasse.

most recent addition was the ywmg/pistol pair over a month ago. Everyone is happy coral and everything is doing great.
I just noticed this morning that my fire fish is a little banged up. Wondering if fin rot or he is being bullied but I’m not sure why it would have just started today suddenly? Also I just fed them this morning and he got too close to my Nero 3 running on 30% and he got sucked to the side of it. I turned the pump off and he swam away fine but seems a little weak. He was eating like a pig though when I fed them just now.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Ignore my clown being a camera wh*** lol
97F8108D-7790-4019-82DF-F363B4CD82FF.jpeg
841D7934-BC0C-40DB-BF56-06E3FA5AE5DB.jpeg
82B88812-EB9D-4ED5-BB50-ABB861D7D5FC.jpeg
B86FFA28-D99F-478D-A416-C63975F63A02.jpeg
B46C0A9E-0E9C-4A65-AA57-78A9EE4DF490.jpeg
45ACEB76-46AD-466A-81C7-29D617F29D7D.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. The pictures are awesome
2. It looks (to me) like bullying. Of course the damage can lead to 'infection' - but I don't think I see that on the fish.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. The pictures are awesome
2. It looks (to me) like bullying. Of course the damage can lead to 'infection' - but I don't think I see that on the fish.
“Shot on iPhone 12 Pro” lol thanks — I always found it funny when people asked for help Id’ing things and it looks like the photo was taken from space on a Nokia flip phone lol

and alright, good to know but Idk who it would be? I guess maybeeee the Blenny? But Blenny was added last before the ywg/pistol so I thought it would be ok. I also haven’t noticed any aggression between any fish except my 2 clowns doing their own dominance stuff

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
“Shot on iPhone 12 Pro” lol thanks — I always found it funny when people asked for help Id’ing things and it looks like the photo was taken from space on a Nokia flip phone lol

and alright, good to know but Idk who it would be? I guess maybeeee the Blenny? But Blenny was added last before the ywg/pistol so I thought it would be ok. I also haven’t noticed any aggression between any fish except my 2 clowns doing their own dominance stuff
The good news from my experience - is that these things often work out on their own.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The good news from my experience - is that these things often work out on their own.
Hmm now he is stuck to the overflow and gasping... not really sure what to do about this one. Looks like a goner imo... has a chunk taken out of his side.
A22D1B6E-5DDE-42B7-95E1-879E8F588115.jpeg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm now he is stuck to the overflow and gasping... not really sure what to do about this one
That would be one of those times where 'these things don't work out'. It could be another disease/parasite, etc. Perhaps remove to another tank (QT) and good feeding. @ReefSquad

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm now he is stuck to the overflow and gasping... not really sure what to do about this one. Looks like a goner imo... has a chunk taken out of his side.
A22D1B6E-5DDE-42B7-95E1-879E8F588115.jpeg
Sorry, that's bad news.... Damage to back of tail not good.

My guess would be midas blenny bullying. Are they similar size?

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, that's bad news....

My guess would be midas blenny bullying. Are they similar size?
Yeah they are about the same size. They stay on opposite sides of the tank and like I have said, never seen aggression so not entirely sure where this came from overnight. It’s a shame because it was a beautiful fish. I knew there *might* be an issue with these two based on other people’s experiences but figured I got lucky when they seemed fine. Like everything in this hobby, a learning experience.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are about the same size. They stay on opposite sides of the tank and like I have said, never seen aggression so not entirely sure where this came from overnight. It’s a shame because it was a beautiful fish. I knew there *might* be an issue with these two based on other people’s experiences but figured I got lucky when they seemed fine. Like everything in this hobby, a learning experience.
Firefish are pretty shy and delicate IMO. Not that they are hard to keep in general but they are easily bullied or frightened in to not eating enough. That's my experience at least.

I lost one after a couple years due to unseen bullying that led to lack of eating. Mine lived for fine for few years and then bam, it was too scared to come out of its hiding spot.

I have another on order and going to give it a try again.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Firefish are pretty shy and delicate IMO. Not that they are hard to keep in general but they are easily bullied or frightened in to not eating enough. That's my experience at least.

I lost one after a couple years due to unseen bullying that led to lack of eating. Mine lived for fine for few years and then bam, it was too scared to come out of its hiding spot.

I have another on order and going to give it a try again.
Best of luck with it! Any ideas if the Midas blenny bullied it because it’s the same size/shape? Or will I have to worry about the Midas being a bully toward my clowns/wrasse/ and ultimately a dragonette??

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck with it! Any ideas if the Midas blenny bullied it because it’s the same size/shape? Or will I have to worry about the Midas being a bully toward my clowns/wrasse/ and ultimately a dragonette??
I honestly don't know. I've always wanted a midas but never owned one. I've read a ton and there are definitely reports of midas being aggressive to similarly shaped fish.

I'd be cautious of adding other similar shaped fish and just keep an eye out of signs of aggression.

I had a lawnmower blenny that was just a bully period. I'd see bite marks on the side of my full grown Foxface all the time! I got rid of the blenny.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back