Fire fish / Clown

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my Fire / Clown fish have been together in their HT for 4 days now.

I was quite certain the Clown had a severe case of Ich, whilst the Fire fish seemed unbothered by it at the time.

However: as of yesterday, the Fire fish has been worsening dramatically.
  • It didn't eat since
  • Has been stationary
    • To a questionable point. I was quite certain it was dead this morning. There was no movement until my hand nearly touched it, and then -- it was not like usual; where it would "dart away".
    • With the HOB + air pump off, it doesn't come out.
  • Has issue swimming
    • When my hand was into the HT, it only swam on the bottom.
    • Doesn't "really" seem to be able to swim vertically.
  • No fear (?)
    • When it swam, it even came to the glass where my face was and just started lifelessly. Whereas normal it would be frightened by the sight of my head.
    • With my hand in the HT, it didn't freak out.
  • Appearance:
    • 2 days ago it's gills looked a bit swollen + inc. a red / purplish tint.
The Clown has been doing better since FW dipping it & moving it to the HT 5 days ago. However, when I came upon swim bladder disease, something clicked.

It always swam odd, but I thought it was just silly "clown" behavior. I'm not completely sure if it always swam the way it does now tho.

Does this resemble swim bladder disease in any way?

1. The HT has been on it's second day of Cupramine treatment at 0.5. It was raised over the course of 4 days.
  2. It has been seeded with ATM Colony 3 days prior to adding the Clown.
    1. The Seachem badges have been oddly colored. More or less in the direction of alert. That's why there are currently 2 badges in. I wasn't certain of the accuracy of the first one (may or not have touched the sensor with my finger too) Although, whilst illuminating with a flashlight; they're both definitely yellow.
    2. I performed a 20L (out of the 30L) WC 2 days ago.
  3. Temps have been fluctuating in a sense.
    1. 25 to 27.5 during the course of the day.

Would anyone have a idea what could be wrong the Fire fish -- and if the Clown has swim bladder disease / not?

I read that ammonia tests are not possible with medication into the water; are other tests possible?

Again, much appreciated!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue is taking 4 days to ramp up the copper level while fish have ich is not a good idea. You need to get the copper level up to full dose, using a good test kit within 12 hours. The reason is that it often takes 72 hours at full copper before the disease starts to reverse. If you add 3 days ramp up time to that, the fish will be very sick.

Measuring ammonia with cupramine is tricky. The salicylate test will work, but other methods don't.

I don't think the clown has a swimbladder issue, it is swimming with astiff body though, the sign of a sick clownfish.

Jay

OP
OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue is taking 4 days to ramp up the copper level while fish have ich is not a good idea. You need to get the copper level up to full dose, using a good test kit within 12 hours. The reason is that it often takes 72 hours at full copper before the disease starts to reverse. If you add 3 days ramp up time to that, the fish will be very sick.

Measuring ammonia with cupramine is tricky. The salicylate test will work, but other methods don't.

I don't think the clown has a swimbladder issue, it is swimming with astiff body though, the sign of a sick clownfish.

Jay

Ahh, gotcha. The gradient increase was because I read that it's more preferable to ramp it slowly (for fish that are still okay) -- opposed to the direct full dose.
The amount of available knowledge can be confusing sometimes haha.

That's good to hear regarding swimbladder.
What would be your opinion regarding the Fire fish by te way?

Other tests as; KH / PH / P04, are those possible to test with copper in the system?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, gotcha. The gradient increase was because I read that it's more preferable to ramp it slowly (for fish that are still okay) -- opposed to the direct full dose.
The amount of available knowledge can be confusing sometimes haha.

That's good to hear regarding swimbladder.
What would be your opinion regarding the Fire fish by te way?

Other tests as; KH / PH / P04, are those possible to test with copper in the system?
I can’t say what is up with the fire fish, no spots on it? The other tests should be fine with copper present.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back