Fire fish compatibility

woody283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking at getting 2 firefish for a 30g. A purple and a red. Will they be peacfull together? Ive had them in a 65g years ago and they were fine together but i want my tank to be as peaceful as possible. The only other fish i have in it is a tailspot blennie. And ill be adding a pink-streaked wrasse also.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had good luck with firefish. They are super aggressive to one another. I had one in my 120, added 5 more, and they were ALL dead within 2 weeks. I hope you have better luck than me!

jcusmarine

Club Cube
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 Purple Firefish at the same time and they are fine. They have not paired up and don't swim together, so I was concerned they may go at it....but no problems.

I have heard they can be aggressive towards eachother, so definatly add them at the same time.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 reds that have been together from the beggining and are always next to each other....That's in a 24x24x24 60g cube......

Aquascaper

Pro: Fish, Inverts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had trouble in the past keeping firefish:tongue:

However, presently i have 3 purples that have been in the tank together for about 2 months now with zero dificulties- Yeah...

They are in a tank with 4 pajama cardinals, 1 Oc clown, 1 algae blenny, 3 disbar anthias, and a potters angel:bigsmile:

Wise choice to add them at the same time....

I personaly would rethink the wrasse choice...
flasher wrasses might serve as better takemates????

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 3 purple fire fish in my 125, i add 5 last one after a day or two is was small. lost another one week after that it was small too i think it took a ride in my OM CL. i have 3 now and have had them for around 6 months and they are doing fine. i got 5 knowning i might lose one maybe two. hoping they would school together and they do.

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 firefish 3 sissortails and 3 purple fire fish they all get along swimmimly:)

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that to be successful in keeping a pair together in a smaller system they should be a mated pair.....I have a 46 g bow mixed reef & added a pair that had been housed together at my LFS in a smaller tank, they swim & get along together great......

OP
OP
W

woody283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not looking to add a pair. I want to add a purple and a red. Aquascaper why do you suggest the flasher over the pink streaked wrasse?

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 2 and they were doing fine. One wasn't eating and eventually died.
About 2 weeks later i added a replacement and they have been fine. They swim together all the time.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not looking to add a pair. I want to add a purple and a red. Aquascaper why do you suggest the flasher over the pink streaked wrasse?
My best guess on Scaper's recommendation is that the fairy wrasses have a higher chance of chasing and harassing other fish than the flasher wrasses do. Also the flashers generally stay smaller than the fairys do.

OP
OP
W

woody283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i didnt know that, I do like some of the flashers but thought they were more aggresive, And thanks for the info on the firefish, I will add them together.

phil519

Got Rotifers?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my firefish lives inside the Barnacle/PVC home I created for my jawfish. Rather than dart to the surface (aka carpet surf), when spooked it dives into its barnacle home.

Good luck!

Aquascaper

Pro: Fish, Inverts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Thanks JT- that is exactly what my concern was and is...

Woody- There is no ONE right way when it comes to reef'n, but I have found greater success in animal good animal husbandry choices and for reasons stated by JT- I believe the flashers may be a better choice in this case.

OP
OP
W

woody283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got some spots for them to dive into, but i hope they wont jump. I went out looking for them 2day and i was suprisied to see i can get a purple firefish for almost the same price as a hefrichi:( Looks like im going to be placing an order to LA

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got some spots for them to dive into, but i hope they wont jump. I went out looking for them 2day and i was suprisied to see i can get a purple firefish for almost the same price as a hefrichi:( Looks like im going to be placing an order to LA
are you sure I can get purple firefish for 19.99 each..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back