Fire fish got attacked missing chunk of flesh and fin

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
okay sweet. Thank you

Well it’s either the Dracula goby or pistol shrimp and I don’t really want to remove them due to difficulty, price, and I like them. I’m hoping it was a one time thing and I’ll no longer keep fire fish. From the reading I’ve done Dracula gobies are on the more peaceful side of watchmen goby spectrum but it’s hard to find much on them
best way to find out is to set your cell phone on video mode for 30-40 mins and WALK AWAY (they know youre there). Come back and review video, and you will have found the culprit. Vitamins although beneficial will not heal this. However, melafix would aid in healing , , , As long as it is not constantly getting picked at

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling the shrimp and goby and firefish got in the same cave/hole or something at night since firefish sleep only in caves at lights out

I used brightwell brand Vitamins. I literally use 4 drops on top of the food and let it soak a good while.
Im 99% sure that’s what happened because the shrimp dug to the back and that’s where the fire fish always is. And thank you, I’ll add that to the cart lol

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best way to find out is to set your cell phone on video mode for 30-40 mins and WALK AWAY (they know youre there). Come back and review video, and you will have found the culprit. Vitamins although beneficial will not heal this. However, melafix would aid in healing , , , As long as it is not constantly getting picked at
The fire fish is in a 5 gal emergency hospital tank. I put some elbows, matrix, and a piece of live rock in there and he’s been hiding. I’ll look into melafix, thank you

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
melafix is pretty good, I'm sure your firefish will recover given enough time and a good diet of vitamin enriched foods. selcon is great, garlic extreme, etc.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has passed away this morning :( he was halfway sticking out of one of the elbows. Ammonia and nitrites were zero, just couldn’t recover I guess

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back