Fire fish looks sick

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by NowGlazeIT, Jan 2, 2018.

1. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

2FAB32AB-DF38-4888-B998-893482B09A48.jpeg recently I moved all my fish to QT and since the start my purple fire fish is not swimming I’m starting to think now (day 4) that my fire fish has a form of swim bladder disease or maybe she’s hurt can anyone identify the behavior shown in the pictures

A97A9B0F-0620-41CF-94E0-DD5CA77770B2.jpeg

6A66E8AE-F902-4CA1-B25F-3D8E49BE9AE0.jpeg

A28604FC-E3A2-4A8A-8EB4-469CC6C1827D.jpeg

1AB91473-2C42-44AE-BB72-5C56C96B506A.jpeg

B766D469-813A-4F8E-A8D7-20C52C9831C3.jpeg

B249E7FC-81B5-477D-9C2A-A3B8E5AE4D56.jpeg

582E9F53-384E-40C0-98B6-C59BF72E8BCE.jpeg

7965DF90-D16E-4B3F-81FE-911D7B053F3C.jpeg

410369AE-E4BC-48D7-B2F0-7C9FDB95CD3E.jpeg

978A1380-0A99-42A4-88E6-542D9171697A.jpeg

2EAC7EB0-7A95-4509-B632-2689DA9A6C51.jpeg

CB6393DA-12C5-4FA6-BA0A-F1FF864CB3C4.jpeg

A0537A54-7384-4FA9-B2CF-2514274F2696.jpeg

Tags:

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

It doesn't look too bad but laying on its side can be a sign for a couple of things such as fatigue, damaged swim bladder, stress, etc. Is it eating any?

4FordFamily and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  3. NowGlazeIT

She eats but doesn’t travel for food. I thought this whole time it was stress or being low on the hierarchy of the tank but it’s getting more suspicious as all the other fire fish adjust to there place but this one

4. NowGlazeIT

Tank mates in QT are
    3fire fish
    1purple fire fish
    1 clown
    1 harptail blenny
    1 Wrasse
    The Wrasse is the leader but doesn’t nip or pic on others he’s all body language swimming actively everywhere the clown minds his own and the blenny is like a Labrador puppy so I don’t think it’s a hierarchy as much as maybe swim bladder

5. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Well eating is a good sign but not moving much may be problematic for the fish long term. For the time being I would expect to keep it in QT long term and let it hopefully build it's strength back.

I've only ever had a fish with swim bladder issues once and it didn't end well for it. I've heard some can "grow" out of it with good nutrition and low-stress environments. From what I've read with reef fish concerning this sort of condition, you want to maintain really good water quality, feed a variety of vitamin enriched foods, maintain a low-stress environment, and possibly treat with antibiotics (if you can get some).

Since your fish is already eating, I would try something like LRS Reeffrenzy or Rod's Food Original, or even some mysis and cyclops coated in selcon or something similar. You want to get the fish's immune system firing on all cylinders so it doesn't succumb to something else due to low mobility.

SeahorseKeeper and NowGlazeIT like this.
  6. NowGlazeIT

Okay I have selcon coming in today. I have some pe mysis, Hikari brine and vo2cyclops. Its hard feeding frozen foods because they all eat dry food and it’s easier to keep my water clean in QT I was feeding one frozen meal a day with 2-3 dry meals a day but if I don’t mass feed the purple firefish won’t eat. Ideally I need an other tank to monitor better and reduce stress but I’m doing the best with the room and budget I have. I just don’t want this fish to be in any pain. Stress is high but subsiding everyday. they all lived together for 2 months in my DT prior so I know there’s not any severe tank aggression between the few. I even noticed that my 3rd fire fish is now welcomed to swim along the paired fire fish. That was a relief and my only concern at the start of all this.
    When I was taking my rock out of my tank to catch everyone the purple firefish was flapping in the rock STUCK! This didn’t last long as I placed the rock back in the water immediately after hearing the trapped fish. But this is why I fear she may be injured! I see no blemishes or signs of bruising. Thanks for chiming in tho. I am going to go ahead and insure a healthy rich diet till I see any changes

7. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Valuable Member NJRC Member

This could be from harassment from the other fire fish, fire fish dont really like other fire fish. At best you can keep a mated pair.

8. NowGlazeIT

I hear you and that was always my first guess but the fire fish in QT are acting very different from the way they were with established territories. At night the 4 fish sleep on top of each other? Before there was a paired set and one by himself and the other a different species (purple) that also kept too herself. When I put them in QT the paired set picked on the other two and the purple fire fish would protect the 3rd fire fish. Now the 3 fire fish of the same species are swimming together and I can’t tell which are the pair anymore haha

9. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm noticing that the PVC you've got in there - at least near that corner - are all pretty large. Purple firefish looks a bit nervous to me, and might want something a little smaller to hide in, where she can feel the sides around her. (In reptile keeping, they call that "touch-security".) Otherwise, the fish looks healthy from what I can see.

~Bruce

4FordFamily and NowGlazeIT like this.
  10. NowGlazeIT

Thanks Bruce.
    Yesterday I moved the pvc away from the back wall where the purple fire fish would stay hidden even during feedings so I moved them out of the way to observe the fire fish I recently put one pvc back up against the wall and the fire fish all took to it. Not inside the Pvc but instead wedged between the pvc and backwall. Kinda like touch security as you mentioned

Maritimer likes this.
  11. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor

"When I was taking my rock out of my tank to catch everyone the purple firefish was flapping in the rock STUCK! This didn’t last long as I placed the rock back in the water immediately after hearing the trapped fish. But this is why I fear she may be injured!"

This could be a real possibility. Damaged it's spine. Hopefully this isnt the case. If it eats, there is hope.

@Maritimer is correct in reducing stress. Use indirect lighting as well to reduce stress.

Hope it recovers.

4FordFamily likes this.
  12. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

To add to this, I don’t think this is a swim bladder issue. I think you have a very scared or ill firefish. It could just be on its way out due to poor collection, or have an internal injury. A low stress environment, good nutrition, and clean water are all you can for this fish, IMO

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
  13. NowGlazeIT

Okay I did switch the lighting to just 3 small leds I really hope this fish is not hurt. If stress doesn’t subside after adding more hidding areas I will just have to find away to QT this fish separate

Maritimer likes this.
  14. NowGlazeIT

I added some smaller pvc elbows and tho I don’t see the fire fish as much I do make sure she eats twice a day. Selcon came in yesterday and Everyone is eating regularly

15. NowGlazeIT

UPDATE-Everyone is eating 2-3 times a day still. the purple FF won’t join the party but is not too scared to eat so until they go back to DT I’m happy with it. Just happy there wasn’t any severe wounds or trauma

Flippers4pups likes this.
  16. Deinonych

Deinonych Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I agree.

17. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor

So it doing better? Great news!

18. NowGlazeIT

Full recovery I think stress was the culprit
    All these fish are going through they’re second round of prazi and I’ll be ready to put them back in the DT soon

Maritimer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted