Firefish jumped out of tank, is acting strange

jacobc1199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday my firefish in my new set up jumped out of the tank. Thankfully I was home but I don't know long he was there. I put him back in the tank and as of this morning he's still alive. My concern is that I haven't seen him swim at all and i'm concerned that either the fall or me putting him back in the tank has injured him. Anybody have any experience or ideas. He's in his cave but not acting normally i.e. sitting on the bottom of the sand in places he usually doesn't, being fully inside the rockwork instead of poking his head out, and when I do see him moving not really swimming but shimmying.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Sorry to hear about your fish jumping. There's not much to do at this point, but observe. If it is still alive after a day, that's a good sign.

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it pulls through, think about fitting a cover to the tank as they spook very easily, and are known for being jumpers.

Good that it's in it's cave IMO, just let it rest. Mine is in it's cave whenever spooked or lights are low - so it's usual behaviour in that sense.

Keep us posted :)

OP
OP
J

jacobc1199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it pulls through, think about fitting a cover to the tank as they spook very easily, and are known for being jumpers.

Good that it's in it's cave IMO, just let it rest. Mine is in it's cave whenever spooked or lights are low - so it's usual behaviour in that sense.

Keep us posted :)
There is a cover I took it off when feeding and forgot to put it back on like a dummy. Do you think I should try feeding her to see if she’ll eat / swim?

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a cover I took it off when feeding and forgot to put it back on like a dummy. Do you think I should try feeding her to see if she’ll eat / swim?
It happens sometimes, can't beat yourself up about it.

Give it a bit of time to rest then try adding a little bit of food, if it smells it then it may come out and have a pick.

Don't be alarmed though if it doesn't come out, just leave it be and don't try to entice it or disturb it. Fish can go an order of days without feeding and mine doesn't really come out of it's cave to feed, it will come to the surface whenever it's hungry.

OP
OP
J

jacobc1199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens sometimes, can't beat yourself up about it.

Give it a bit of time to rest then try adding a little bit of food, if it smells it then it may come out and have a pick.

Don't be alarmed though if it doesn't come out, just leave it be and don't try to entice it or disturb it. Fish can go an order of days without feeding and mine doesn't really come out of it's cave to feed, it will come to the surface whenever it's hungry.
Okay I’ll do that and update you guys later. Thank you so much!

OP
OP
J

jacobc1199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tried feeding her some brine shrimp and she didn’t take any. I haven’t had her long enough to really tell the difference but it looks like she’s still breathing kinda heavy.

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that the fish is still alive is def a plus. I've lost 2 from not seeing them get through the top and saved two when I saw them still wet and put them back in. Just give it some time to get over the stress and hopefully it will make it

OP
OP
J

jacobc1199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that the fish is still alive is def a plus. I've lost 2 from not seeing them get through the top and saved two when I saw them still wet and put them back in. Just give it some time to get over the stress and hopefully it will make it

Good luck and hope for the best!
I will update in the morning, thank you all

OP
OP
J

jacobc1199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will update in the morning, thank you all
While she is still very skiddish and not eating her breathing is better and I did see her swim a small distance today. I think she just has PTSD when she sees me now! Thank you all for your help

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back