Firefish jumped out of tank. What can I do?

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to get coffee and came back and found my firefish on the floor. He could've been there for 2-20 minutes. I put him back in the tank and he is super weak (video attached). He can't move well and is just laying on the bottom. What can I do to help him? I turned off the lights, but feel so horrible about this :( (I had a lid). Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0996.MOV
    12.5 MB

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to get coffee and came back and found my firefish on the floor. He could've been there for 2-20 minutes. I put him back in the tank and he is super weak (video attached). He can't move well and is just laying on the bottom. What can I do to help him? I turned off the lights, but feel so horrible about this :( (I had a lid). Thanks!

There isn't anything you can do but hope for strong recovery.

Years ago had a fish that nearly every morning found it on the dining room floor still alive, got it back in tank (with lid, with holes covered, ...) Went off & on for weeks. One morning, no one remembered to go into dining room to pickup fish... Fish died.

Hate some fish want to try out for Olympic carpet surfing team... high mortality sport

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing you can do. Most survive. Only time they die is if they get an infection from trauma. Weakened slime coat and infection takes place. Rare, but it can happen.
Don't worry about treatment until signs show up. He may not eat until tomorrow.

Edit: was waiting on video to load. He looks scared. That's all. Fish will most likely be okay.

OP
OP
B

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't anything you can do but hope for strong recovery.

Years ago had a fish that nearly every morning found it on the dining room floor still alive, got it back in tank (with lid, with holes covered, ...) Went off & on for weeks. One morning, no one remembered to go into dining room to pickup fish... Fish died.

Hate some fish want to try out for Olympic carpet surfing team... high mortality sport
Nothing you can do. Most survive. Only time they die is if they get an infection from trauma. Weakened slime coat and infection takes place. Rare, but it can happen.
Don't worry about treatment until signs show up. He may not eat until tomorrow.

Edit: was waiting on video to load. He looks scared. That's all. Fish will most likely be okay.
Thanks. Is it worth adding something to reduce stress/improve slime coat like Dr. Tim's First Defense?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope. Nothing will help honestly. If your fish is healthy that's what's going to matter most. He didn't look skinny. So, should be alright.
Thanks. Is it worth adding something to reduce stress/improve slime coat like Dr. Tim's First Defense?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back