Firefish laying on side

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new firefish that I picked up yesterday is lying on his side and breathing rapidly. Help!

20230129_081322.jpg 20230129_081319.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see!

That is what is termed "moribund" it is actively dying. Unlikely that there is anything you can do for it.

It may be the angle of the photo, but the fish looks pretty skinny. The two common issues we see with new fish having problems are: acclimation stress and being in poor condition when purchased. For the acclimation issue - the big problem is fish that go from a low salinity at the store to a high salinity in your home tank. This can also cause the fish to dehydrate and become skinny. Do you know the salt levels between the store and your tank?

jay

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see!

That is what is termed "moribund" it is actively dying. Unlikely that there is anything you can do for it.

It may be the angle of the photo, but the fish looks pretty skinny. The two common issues we see with new fish having problems are: acclimation stress and being in poor condition when purchased. For the acclimation issue - the big problem is fish that go from a low salinity at the store to a high salinity in your home tank. This can also cause the fish to dehydrate and become skinny. Do you know the salt levels between the store and your tank?

jay
The store that I got him from's salinity matched mine. 35 ppt.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just have been in poor shape when you to it then. If you post a short video, I might be able to assess it better. I have been fooled a couple of times with a fish that *looked* like it was dying in a picture, but then having a treatable issue.....

Jay

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just have been in poor shape when you to it then. If you post a short video, I might be able to assess it better. I have been fooled a couple of times with a fish that *looked* like it was dying in a picture, but then having a treatable issue.....

Jay
He is hiding under a rock right now, I will get a video when and if he comes out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back