Firefish pectoral fin gone

DiamondReeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up this firefish on Saturday and today I woke up to his right pectoral fin gone with a big red spot where it should be. He’s swimming with 1 “arm” basically. This morning he was resting on the sand bed but after feeding time he started to swim again and as of now he seems to be swimming ok. Should I put him in the quarantine tank to separate him from the other fish? Or should I let him be? Also will it grow back? I tried to get some pictures of it but he wouldn’t face the camera lol

90B803E6-891A-4F66-9D22-BDFAB568FB28.jpeg 7AD7608C-0DE9-43F7-824D-5375FCAF90B5.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3193.MP4
    3.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank with it? One of them probably bit it. That of course can happen again any time. I think you ought to separate it. As to if it will grow back - fins grow out from the base. It looks like the base of the fin is involved here, so it probably won’t grow back - sorry.
Jay

OP
OP
DiamondReeferr

DiamondReeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank with it? One of them probably bit it. That of course can happen again any time. I think you ought to separate it. As to if it will grow back - fins grow out from the base. It looks like the base of the fin is involved here, so it probably won’t grow back - sorry.
Jay
dang that’s a real shame. I’m going to put him in my 10 gallon quarantine for now and see if I can nurse him back to health. If he gets better should I re introduce him into the tank? Or is he done? Say he gets bigger would other fish still want to attack him? He’s a little guy right now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really all depends on if the basal cells of the fin have been damaged, if they haven't, the fin can regrow. As far as putting it back at some point, that depends on who did the attacking, and if the balance of power is equalized enough be letting the fire fish gain some size outside the tank.

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back