Firefish QT setup

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
After a recent velvet outbreak, I’ve been left with no fish in my fluval 13.5 except my red firefish. Obviously, I need to move him for my tank to go fallow. He’s not sick or anything, but certainly can’t stay in the infected water. So I set up a quarantine tank.
8BA76AD5-93C5-437C-9D80-7A146D08D4DF.jpeg
It’s not much, just a 10 gallon with an air stone, a heater, and some old decor, but it’ll do the trick. However, I know how timid and sensitive firefish can be. I’m worried that although alive now, the transplant could potentially kill him. How do I go about acclimating him, especially in a tank that’s not very established and has not much filtration or bacteria? What should be my process of quarantining him in the coming weeks?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see a cover in that picture, so that's a good thing.

Turning down the lights upon transplant will be good. If you're using the same salinity saltwater, then just dump the fish straight into the 10 gallon. Do large water changes every time ammonia gets too high, and feed with something high quality (baby brine shrimp work, so does mysis).

If you know the fish is in velvet-infested waters, then treat the fish like it has velvet. You could do the TTM, which worked quite well with my trio of firefish, or something else like copper.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I plan on sea chem curpamine mixed with API super ich cure, as I have seen symptoms for both ich and velvet in my tank, and even possible brooklynella and eye flukes.

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I plan on sea chem curpamine mixed with API super ich cure, as I have seen symptoms for both ich and velvet in my tank, and even possible brooklynella and eye flukes.
I would not use the API Super ich cure, I think it only works for freshwater; it does say it can be used in salt water but I didn't get great results with them in my experience. Sea Chem Cupramine should cure both ich and velvet just fine. Just make sure to leave the fluval 13.5 tank fishless for 76 days to starve out ich and velvet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use the API Super ich cure, I think it only works for freshwater; it does say it can be used in salt water but I didn't get great results with them in my experience. Sea Chem Cupramine should cure both ich and velvet just fine. Just make sure to leave the fluval 13.5 tank fishless for 76 days to starve out ich and velvet.
I plan on 90 days fallow, just to reeeeally make sure!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 10% water changes every other day in the filterless quarantine tank be sufficient, or should I do more/less water changes?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is a Petco nearby, and I’m going to pick up more things for the qt when I go to get coral frags this week. Could you put a link to the best product? Thx!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back