Firefish swim badder disease?

bernie123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple firefish is acting funny today. I have had it ~6 months. Everything was fine until a few hours ago. Is this possibly swim bladder disease?

Tank is newish (7 months old) FOWLR. Residents: 1 purple firefish, 1 banggai cardinal, 1 yellowtail damsel, 1 percula clown, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 emerald crab, lots of hermits and snails. Only new additions were 4 turbo snails a few weeks ago. Everyone else is acting fine.

Water parameters:
pH: 8.4
NH3/NH4: 0
NO3: 10
NO2: 0
PO4: 1 (working on this)
KH: 180 ppm
salinity: 1.024

Any advice would be appreciated

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My purple firefish is acting funny today. I have had it ~6 months. Everything was fine until a few hours ago. Is this possibly swim bladder disease?

Tank is newish (7 months old) FOWLR. Residents: 1 purple firefish, 1 banggai cardinal, 1 yellowtail damsel, 1 percula clown, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 emerald crab, lots of hermits and snails. Only new additions were 4 turbo snails a few weeks ago. Everyone else is acting fine.

Water parameters:
pH: 8.4
NH3/NH4: 0
NO3: 10
NO2: 0
PO4: 1 (working on this)
KH: 180 ppm
salinity: 1.024

Any advice would be appreciated

Its a buoyancy issue and can be:
gases in belly
overeating
internal issue

If this occurs another 24 hrs, you may want to consider treating with Seachem metroplex added to foods assuming it still eats. Another would be boiling 3 -4 peas and allowing it to cool then feed to fish which alleviates constipatiion and gas-inness.
Maracyn 2 which is absorbed may help also.
If severe buoyancy problems exist, the fish may not be able to feed normally or even reach the surface of the water. This disorder is sometimes caused by compression of the swim bladder, which may involve a distended stomach from rapidly eating, overeating, constipation, or gulping air, which is thought to occur with floating foods. Eating freeze-dried or dry flake food that expands when it becomes wet can also lead to an enlarged stomach or intestinal tract.
Other causes are :
  • Trauma/Injury
  • Bacterial infection
  • Parasitic infection
  • Stress/rapidly changing water parameters
  • Poor water quality

ReefnFamilyMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat as posted by vetteguy53081. I would watch for the following symptoms. I've only dealt with swim bladder with some fresh water fish but they always started with the extended stomach and upside down floating/bobbing in the tank.
  • Sinking to the bottom of the tank (or floating by standing on its head at the bottom of the tank)
  • Floating to the top of the tank
  • Struggling to stay upright, turning on its side, or upside down
  • Distended belly
  • Curved back
  • Changed appetite

OP
OP
B

bernie123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Hopefully, it resolves on its own, but I'm ready to treat if not.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Hopefully, it resolves on its own, but I'm ready to treat if not.
I would vote for gas in the belly. I can see a bump where the intestines are that is probably a gas bubble. The swim bladder is up higher on the back of the fish.
There isn’t any treatment for this, but fish usually pass or absorb the gas. Never allow these fish or genicanthus angels to feed from the surface as they can swallow air.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back