First 8.5G cube tank, ocean water, learning curve.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the names for what I got today:

Kenya Tree Coral (Capnella sp.)
Green Star Polyp (Pachyclavularia violacea)
Green Hairy Mushroom (Rhodactis indosinensis)
Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral (Sarcophyton)
Zoa (Zoanthid sp.) <-- if someone could try to identify which one is it

and a hitchhiker:
Asterina Starfish (the blue ones)... Shall I exterminate them or leave them by? Some can be pests.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to start photo practice:

corlad10b.jpg

corlad10a.jpg

Wavemaker and phytoplankton arrived :) Well, the tank is too small, I was trying my best but all I achieved is stressing corals a bit and getting water cloudy.

Kenia tree decided to run away and I glued in a new spot.

Seems I have another "extra", by the looks of it on one of the rocks there is small Xenia. Will try to get a better photo later when its purple blueish arms are at full size, the "body" is greenish.

corlad10c.jpg

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I am totally new to this forum, and totally new to marine tanks!
I have some experience in freshwater tanks and now it is a time to check if I can use my knowledge and have some fun with salt water.
The aim is to not spend a fortune, learn as much on my own and other mistakes and if the hobby picks up momentum... I have some larger tanks waiting :)

Please share any of your thoughts, I really have no clue if what I read is applied as it should!
There is too much noise online and R2R will be my compass! I was checking the threads here and I am more confused than I was before, but looking at the pictures, it is doable!

I welcome everyone to post in here! I will be treating this thread as my kind of diary.

==========================================================================================

The Current State of Things:

ezgif-1-d37fa5ce36.gif
Tank:
8.5G (32 liters) 6mm

Light:
AquaKnight (HIPARGERO) gen2 A209
10% White, 20% Blue / 8 hours

Filter:
HOB Seachem Tidal35

Water:
Atlantic water (live) + DI/RO for top ups

Temp: 25C (77F)

Start Type:
Dry Natural Rock, Live Sand, Live Water

Circulation:
HOB self flow + SICCE Voyager NANO 1000

Live:
Cycling!

Photo the video cannot cope with the light):

IMG_20230211_160613_1.jpg

==========================================================================================

SETUP

I am going with self-made nano cube 8.6G (32 litres). I got the glass just one day before the lockdown.

It was something like that at the time, now after third restart is a home to group of Pseudomugils which already have a new home secured :)

1675384724523.png

Sure, no bamboo will go to the salt one!

So this would be a glass, then I am finishing completing or already have:

- Seachem Tidal-35 filter (was going to pick T-55 (more media inside) but in that size tank corals would be like in a washing machine (I guess...)). This filter in that small tank should be OK on its own. Plus I need it only as a skimmer and mechanical filter, bio filtering is the rock and sand (right? tell me I got it right!)

- Light is white (8000K) Chihiros C-series. Maybe spectrum is not ideal, but good enough for photosynthesis and I am planning adding some night light to it. If it kicks in I will purchase a marine dedicated light.

- Heater as a heater, adjustable and must be heating.

- No wavemaker for such a tiny cube (or shall I get one?). I was looking at some and 2000litres flow for such a cube (the smallest ones) could be too much, don't you think? If I will need it I can buy it later. Filter should do enough of water movement.

- I am going to start on dry rock and live sand, I have 6 miles to open Atlantic, so there is my water supply :)

I was going to buy some more water tests, but I believe I can close the cycle without it really, just old school observing the life inside should tell if it is all good to introduce animals.

OK, so as it is still a matter of me looking for info, gathering contacts and networking for possible swaps and chat over a pint (freshwater does not drain your pocket that much, and I was into ADA and wild fish imports to Europe!).

1. I wanted to check on any hints for such a small tank.
2. When setting up the rock, what would be your best tip? Having a lot of caves? Maybe large flat areas to plant corals on them later? Shall I think about future animals already?
3. I am planning to do sand 1 inch or less at the front, 5 inches at the back (more for bacteria)

Here is my initial setup for the rock. (yes, I need to clean it gently, secure with epoxy etc.)

8c6bddf59effd6d03708ed63a85bdd7f.png

I was thinking about having it this way for composition and to be able to:
- plant photosynthesis corals on top left 'plateau'
- sun coral or similar to go front left bottom
- some colorful polyp type on the right (sorry I do not know the names yet - learning!)
- a fan worm at the back more to the left

Not sure of which would be easy, hard to kill and cheap for a noobie. Please share some links :)

Please share your thoughts! I know it is not even started but I need to plan all ahead, this hobby is not popular in Ireland as you would think knowing it is an island after all.
You can count the shops with supplies on fingers of one hand. Brexit made it also difficult to ship live stock from the UK (for sure for freshwater, marine must be even worse!).

PS. all handy tips for new starters welcomed! Links to guides are worth a fortune! :)

Thank you in advance!

Michael
What fish do you plan on keeping. If you want recommendations-

1 possum wrasse (they may look boring but are big characters!)
1 Macneills assesors basslet

Avoid sun corals as they will put a MASSIVE strain on the bioload.

Dose some pods too. Add some inverts.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Yeah tomorrow some snails and red legged hermit will join, some more corals. I do not plan any fish in that tank - too small.

I am using oceanic water, and also adding some phytoplankton.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update from the cube, new corals just glued:

corlad12a.jpg

corlad12b.jpg

also:
+2x red legged hermit crab
+2x Turbo snail

What do you think?

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also strongly recommend getting any fish or alot more inverts to help increase nitrates and phosphates to avoid Dinoflagellates and Cyanobacteria.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new additions to the cube. 2xZoa + 1xPhaly, there is hitchhiker mushroom there too.
Photos taken just after gluing, to compare in few hours.

d21a.jpg

got the above on the rock, about8-9 heads. I placed it at the bottom to fit nicely under the main rock. The ones on the plug are really nice, just hid because me making the mounting business...

d21b.jpg

Phaly will be very very deep green, The plug overgrown around, so I ensured the main polyp is on the top, I believe the rest will position themselves to the light with time.

d21c.jpg

at this stage these four little green gems are already opened and very bright :)

and the last are... algae! I am so happy seeing them, tank is getting into the right direction!

d21d.jpg

I also added purigen to HOB to help with stability.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My "what about if I would put some fish inside" thoughts caused by you brought me to these two fellas:

- Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
- Tailspot Blenny (Ecsenius Stigmatura)

but not earlier than in two weeks time

hermits are all good:

d21-3.jpg

Last edited:

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "what about if I would put some fish inside" thoughts caused by you brought me to these two fellas:

- Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
- Tailspot Blenny (Ecsenius Stigmatura)

but not earlier than in two weeks time

hermits are all good:

d21-3.jpg
Tailspot should be fine, Six line too active. Look into possum wrasses, pink streak, clowns and maybe firefish

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back