First 8.5G cube tank, ocean water, learning curve.

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I am totally new to this forum, and totally new to marine tanks!
I have some experience in freshwater tanks and now it is a time to check if I can use my knowledge and have some fun with salt water.
The aim is to not spend a fortune, learn as much on my own and other mistakes and if the hobby picks up momentum... I have some larger tanks waiting :)

Please share any of your thoughts, I really have no clue if what I read is applied as it should!
There is too much noise online and R2R will be my compass! I was checking the threads here and I am more confused than I was before, but looking at the pictures, it is doable!

I welcome everyone to post in here! I will be treating this thread as my kind of diary.

==========================================================================================

The Current State of Things:

7b3fa75143db648c386fff334f73a2f2.jpg
Tank:
8.5G (32 liters) 6mm

Light:
AquaKnight (HIPARGERO) gen2 A209
20% White, 60% Blue / 12 hours

Filter:
HOB Seachem Tidal35

Water:
Atlantic water (live) + DI/RO for top ups

Temp: 25C (77F)

Start Type:
Dry Natural Rock, Live Sand, Live Water

Circulation:
HOB self flow + SICCE Voyager NANO 1000

Live:
Tailspot Blenny
Clownfish
Feather Worm
2xRed legged hermit
2xTurbo snail

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea
War Coral Favites Pentagone
Summer Breeze zoa
Jungle Juice zoa
Fire Ice zoa
Duncan
Tequila Sunrise zoa
Rasta zoa
Rainbow Incinerator zoa
Mindblower paly
3xUnknown zoa (orange, red/blue, ultra green)
Green paly
Bubblegum Digi
Toadstool leather coral
Kenia tree coral
Green Star Polyp
Discosoma blue
Discosoma green (somewhere)
Brown star polyp

ezgif-1-d37fa5ce36.gif

Photo the video cannot cope with the light):

IMG_20230211_160613_1.jpg

==========================================================================================

SETUP

I am going with self-made nano cube 8.6G (32 litres). I got the glass just one day before the lockdown.

It was something like that at the time, now after third restart is a home to group of Pseudomugils which already have a new home secured :)

1675384724523.png

Sure, no bamboo will go to the salt one!

So this would be a glass, then I am finishing completing or already have:

- Seachem Tidal-35 filter (was going to pick T-55 (more media inside) but in that size tank corals would be like in a washing machine (I guess...)). This filter in that small tank should be OK on its own. Plus I need it only as a skimmer and mechanical filter, bio filtering is the rock and sand (right? tell me I got it right!)

- Light is white (8000K) Chihiros C-series. Maybe spectrum is not ideal, but good enough for photosynthesis and I am planning adding some night light to it. If it kicks in I will purchase a marine dedicated light.

- Heater as a heater, adjustable and must be heating.

- No wavemaker for such a tiny cube (or shall I get one?). I was looking at some and 2000litres flow for such a cube (the smallest ones) could be too much, don't you think? If I will need it I can buy it later. Filter should do enough of water movement.

- I am going to start on dry rock and live sand, I have 6 miles to open Atlantic, so there is my water supply :)

I was going to buy some more water tests, but I believe I can close the cycle without it really, just old school observing the life inside should tell if it is all good to introduce animals.

OK, so as it is still a matter of me looking for info, gathering contacts and networking for possible swaps and chat over a pint (freshwater does not drain your pocket that much, and I was into ADA and wild fish imports to Europe!).

1. I wanted to check on any hints for such a small tank.
2. When setting up the rock, what would be your best tip? Having a lot of caves? Maybe large flat areas to plant corals on them later? Shall I think about future animals already?
3. I am planning to do sand 1 inch or less at the front, 5 inches at the back (more for bacteria)

Here is my initial setup for the rock. (yes, I need to clean it gently, secure with epoxy etc.)

8c6bddf59effd6d03708ed63a85bdd7f.png

I was thinking about having it this way for composition and to be able to:
- plant photosynthesis corals on top left 'plateau'
- sun coral or similar to go front left bottom
- some colorful polyp type on the right (sorry I do not know the names yet - learning!)
- a fan worm at the back more to the left

Not sure of which would be easy, hard to kill and cheap for a noobie. Please share some links :)

Please share your thoughts! I know it is not even started but I need to plan all ahead, this hobby is not popular in Ireland as you would think knowing it is an island after all.
You can count the shops with supplies on fingers of one hand. Brexit made it also difficult to ship live stock from the UK (for sure for freshwater, marine must be even worse!).

PS. all handy tips for new starters welcomed! Links to guides are worth a fortune! :)

Thank you in advance!

Michael

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Is this going to be a fishless tank?
hey! YEs, due to the tiny size and me learning salt water tanks I am only considering one hermit in there for cleaning. Same as with corals, I will aim not to have too many 'predators' to limit the organic left overs as there is only HOB filter in plan and the setup will work on rock and sand for biological filtering.

edit: spelling/typos

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hhaynie yeap, I am actually a bit shocked how many creatures you can pack into a marine tank, but I am worried that filtration in this setup would not be too efficient, so baby steps and learning 'how and what' :)

Last edited:

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could have a few sexy shrimp, or a trimma/eviota goby. tiny bioload with either option
I was going to suggest something like that too, and either of those would be perfect or something with 5 gallon requirements on this list --> https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/announcing-nano-aquarium-fish-compatibility-document.958538/ *and I am sure you would love to have something in the tank as there are lots of beginner friendly fish or inverts for a 8.5 gallon aquarium **i would recommend sexy shrimp especially** *

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest something like that too, and either of those would be perfect or something with 5 gallon requirements on this list --> https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/announcing-nano-aquarium-fish-compatibility-document.958538/

Oh yeah, I was checking that charter. However, as I am total noob I have to learn those species one by one hahahah
Hermit sounds to be the safest (and cheapest) option for the start with low to none maintenance :)

edit: Shrimps, I had many freshwater ones :) Some of them are hardy, but they usually (the fresh water ones) do not give you a second chance if something goes South.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what hermit species you were looking to get?

yes,

The Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab, Clibanarius tricolor

or

Red Legged Hermit Crab, Paguristes cadenati

either should be hardy, easy in maintenance, reef safe and fun to observe :) Nothing fancy

Live sand arrived... dangit I will need to buy some clean one as it arrived as 1kg and is heavy... Well still not a big issue I will be able to pour that clean one on top after a while.

How long I can keep it to not lose its qualities? I am still waiting for the filter (should arrive tomorrow or Monday).

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes,

The Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab, Clibanarius tricolor

or

Red Legged Hermit Crab, Paguristes cadenati

either should be hardy, easy in maintenance, reef safe and fun to observe :) Nothing fancy

Live sand arrived... dangit I will need to buy some clean one as it arrived as 1kg and is heavy... Well still not a big issue I will be able to pour that clean one on top after a while.

How long I can keep it to not lose its qualities? I am still waiting for the filter (should arrive tomorrow or Monday).
Both great options! Is the live sand sealed?

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not messing with how the parcel looks alike :grinning-face-with-sweat:
but nothing wet or leaking - good sign! I hope the filter will arrive tomorrow as the high tide is getting later and later and I do not see myself jumping on the cliff rocks, during stormy wintery weather to get 40 litres of ocean water in the dark hahaha

1675445232529.png

I am starting to like this new hobby more and more, and I did not even start the tank itself hahaha

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, another spam post from me :)

Is this water be good to add whatever vaporized out of the tank? Would it be good if I would like to make my own waster instead of going to get it straight from the ocean? Sometimes tides are not at the best time and the weather might be a challenge to for that kind of adventure, and for this price per 25l I can go for it :)

Deionised/Demineralised water with a quality of <5 microsiemens per cm in 25 litre.
Also described as purified water. It would be around $1 per litre. I would need one of those max per month/two.

1675455033200.png

I am pretty sure it is a good choice and a nice backup for me :)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, another spam post from me :)

Is this water be good to add whatever vaporized out of the tank? Would it be good if I would like to make my own waster instead of going to get it straight from the ocean? Sometimes tides are not at the best time and the weather might be a challenge to for that kind of adventure, and for this price per 25l I can go for it :)

Deionised/Demineralised water with a quality of <5 microsiemens per cm in 25 litre.
Also described as purified water. It would be around $1 per litre. I would need one of those max per month/two.

1675455033200.png

I am pretty sure it is a good choice and a nice backup for me :)

Pollution you can't see could come in on tides, etc causing your problems you might never find root cause OR you might always be fine. I know one hobbyist that for nearly 50 years has been getting his water from the Ocean, though he does drive quite a bit to go make his water collections (but, in my mind, risk would still be there...) Since you don't need much, agree that sounds to be a good solution - if you were to need more then I try to suggest RO/DI 5 stage setups for people to make their own filtered water.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pollution you can't see could come in on tides, etc causing your problems you might never find root cause OR you might always be fine. I know one hobbyist that for nearly 50 years has been getting his water from the Ocean, though he does drive quite a bit to go make his water collections (but, in my mind, risk would still be there...) Since you don't need much, agree that sounds to be a good solution - if you were to need more then I try to suggest RO/DI 5 stage setups for people to make their own filtered water.

The equipment arrived today, so I will have the stuff needed to kickstart the tank.
I picked the spot for collecting the water where current during the high tide is very strong (and the tide itself is around 3 metres high too) and it comes directly from the open ocean. On top of it the water is full of live, various fish but most importantly to me shellfish. Shellfish do not tolerate pollution that good. So this is an indicator to me. I picked also the area where the sea bed is sand and rocks, no mud etc. There is no river mouth and there are like 5 houses across in the whole area.

Let me treat it as an experiment as well. The water above will be used to add whatever evaporates. I can also use it to make my own water later for changes. I think this can be a good plan.

The water will be from the Celtic Sea, I had a chat with few local fish keepers, some of them are using the sea water for years with zero issues, but still it can be risky :)

So I will try to start the cycle like that and we will see what life will bring. But I am pretty confident the quality of the water is good. I just spent like 6 hours just reading the reports on it, checking tides, currents, what lives where, what is the sea bed. I think it is a bit too much, but better do it now then be sorry later :)

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The equipment arrived today, so I will have the stuff needed to kickstart the tank.
I picked the spot for collecting the water where current during the high tide is very strong (and the tide itself is around 3 metres high too) and it comes directly from the open ocean. On top of it the water is full of live, various fish but most importantly to me shellfish. Shellfish do not tolerate pollution that good. So this is an indicator to me. I picked also the area where the sea bed is sand and rocks, no mud etc. There is no river mouth and there are like 5 houses across in the whole area.

Let me treat it as an experiment as well. The water above will be used to add whatever evaporates. I can also use it to make my own water later for changes. I think this can be a good plan.

The water will be from the Celtic Sea, I had a chat with few local fish keepers, some of them are using the sea water for years with zero issues, but still it can be risky :)

So I will try to start the cycle like that and we will see what life will bring. But I am pretty confident the quality of the water is good. I just spent like 6 hours just reading the reports on it, checking tides, currents, what lives where, what is the sea bed. I think it is a bit too much, but better do it now then be sorry later :)
Probably best to test it before you add/collect it. Be prepared to mix your own water or buy it from an LFS.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to think about a different option, I am too old... The views are amazing, the cliff is high... Children do not do it at home... Dragging up the cliff after dark 2x25 liter containers of sea water with roaming on the high tide waves is not the best idea... Adventure but... I need to find alternative. Now I need to get few minutes and I am starting building. I have prepared most of the things already, 400 liter freshwater full restart was taking me 2-3 hours with planting etc. This time no planting just setting up.

Here is the photo of my spot (when I arrived):

1675710973774.png

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so...

It has begun!!!!!11111oneoneone

1600951852-tumblr_ltlzl1a9Dp1qb903d.gif

I have to admit that salt setup is way faster than freshwater planted tank ;)

SETUP:

Glass: 6mm DIY 8.5Gl (32 litres)
Filtration: Seachem Tidal-35 HOB - mechanical, rock+sand - biology
Heater: Aquael 25C (77F)
Lamp: Chihiros C series 8000K (35% - will replace if needed later)

Start method: live sand, live water, dry rock (natural)

aaand... that's it! In around 6 weeks I plan first living creatures, will start checking water in about 4 weeks, I am not lab, I want to learn by observing what is happening inside, so expecting looking ugly ;)

Some photos, please share your thoughts! Thank you everyone for all support so far!

1. Old freshwater broken apart, glass cleaned, glass and rock support inside:

1675727271716.png

2. Hot glue is great to glue small rocks! I tried with Gorilla gel, but all I achieved is that for next few days I cannot unlock my mobile with fingerprints :)

1675727351358.png

3. Rock inside, some smaller pieces too. I made some hideouts and and kept left side for corals as well as to have better flow from HOB:

1675727648622.png

4. Water in, I filtered it with fine filter before putting inside, foggy as usual, all seems to be good. Equipment installed and plugged. Flow is OK, I filled the glass to highest option, after all salt stays in. In HOB only two coarse spongies and fine polisher to get rid of fogginess. Syphoning salt water is not the best thing I tried in my life ;)

1675727909224.png

1675727942538.png

Some questions:

1. What would you recommend for light cycle? I was thinking 7hrs right now, to eventually get to 12 hrs - is it a good plan?

2. When it comes to light shall I start looking for some other one? Or maybe LED strip would do to make it colder? 8000K should be fine anyway, lamp is on 30% right now.

3. Do I really need wave maker in such a small cube?

Please share your thoughts, good? Bad? Take it apart and move to some remote village in Greenland as there is no hope for me in saltwater realm? This is a learning process all info appreciated!

edit:

so far all good, it cleared overnight nicely:

1675762666933.png

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back