OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, Bought NEW (not 10yrs old) Red Sea test and a couple Hanna checkers. My Nitrate and Phosphate were low but not "ultra low." Too low for expired API thats for sure.
The Slimer didnt encrust nor grow, but didn't die either.
It came down to the most fundamental parameter for us with SaltWater aquariums--- salinity. My refractometer was 13 years old and possibly never calibrated. Found a quick diy calibration solution thread. Turns out it was quite off, and adjustment screw rusted. Ran and bought a hydrometer and ordered another refracometer.
My salinity was 1.021...the basis for our hobby was wrong
Since then I have brought it up slowly to 1.024 with saltwater ATO on my way to 1.026
The little acro has started to encrust the plug a bit and polyps are slightly extending. Its tiny, but I can see a difference every day.
So many things to think about, adjust, and test.
I will never again rely on only 1 method to check the most important parameter.
Even if you think your refractometer is perfectly calibrated, with all the money spent in every direction, buy an old school plastic hydrometer as backup. It and the new meter read the same salinity, after flicking and bumping all the bubbles, lol, it been at least 15 years since using one. Or get 2 refractometers and calibration solution.
Im not a rookie, Ive maintained people's tanks. But its been a decade and man did I feel silly.

Last edited:

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish ? I didn’t notice this question, nor did I see any in your pics. In 250 gallons of system water , I have atm 13 medium sized fish. I feed frozen frequent if I can. 2-3 times a day. I have a large skimmer.

I have to keep import / export moving . Presently have 20 or so sps . Some high end. There will be a struggle if your rock doesn’t have corraline algae . It will be a constant draw on calcium. Test alk / calcium . Keep at 9 and 420 or so .

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha, i just saw your post on saline. I calibrate once a year. Nice job.

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 small fish, tried to go painfully slow on this tank, actually too slow. But it may have been lots more lost $ had I stocked it quickly and not caught the salinity. I was getting all new equipment piece by piece before loads of livestock and coral purchases. Alk 9.1 rock solid and calcium...its high 500ish. I have been dosing kalkwasser for a couple months, without proper test and testing. So sure testing now
We used to dose kalk constantly and only stop if precipitation occured, smh. Corals loved it.
Magnesium is tested and dosed much more now, need to decide on which supplement once it starts getting used.
The lack of coraline bugs me too, but I havent introduced any myself, figured it will come in now by way of frag plugs and encrusted snails.
And yes! Heavy in Heavy out...

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience coral browning is a result of poor light spectrum and not due to nutrients. Your MH bulbs are probably too far in the yellow/red side of the spectrum. Investing in some MH bulbs that are higher quality from a reputable company may be a big help. It’s been quite awhile since I’ve shopped for MH bulbs so I can’t make any suggestions for you. There are some diehard MH fans here that would probably be more than willing to offer their suggestions though. :)

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is too new. I don't even see coraline on your rocks. Get some coraline growing first and then you can start adding acros. Coraline at least let's you know calcification is possible in your tank. Get those rocks and tank mature...

20200425_213813.jpg

My tsnk is 2 years old. I have 0 coraline. Lol

Coraline doesnt grow in every tank.

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tsnk is 2 years old. I have 0 coraline. Lol

Coraline doesnt grow in every tank.
He is talking about sps. Stats needed to grow sps will grow corraline algae. It robs nutrients as it grows, but also adds stability .

many ways to skin a cat.

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! At least in addition..."Plus Right" is the cheap MH lamp manufacturer. Im thinking there was nothing to grow besides algae in my tank. And the super bright white light I have, must contain too much red/yellow like you stated. Friends have said how they have never seen such white light on a tank, lol.
So thank you. I wanted to buy Phoenix HexArc 14k's anyway. Makes sense to do it now so any future purchases dont have to acclimate to bright white halides and then a better spectrum halide later.
Also, I added a 300w UFO grow light over the Cheato which is now growing wonderfully. It died twice before. Fuge light was a cheap amazon qt tank light...not anymore! And just recently dosed H2O2 in large quantities and have No fur on my rocks or backwall. Unbelievable how clean it is!

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is talking about sps. Stats needed to grow sps will grow corraline algae. It robs nutrients as it grows, but also adds stability .

many ways to skin a cat.

Nope. I have 20 kinds of acropora and montis.. no coraline algae anywhere in my tank. It doesnt grow so youre wrong. Not a spec on my rock or glass or snails

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back