First Algal Bloom?

ReeferHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've noticed in the past 2 days what I believe is my first algal bloom but I'm not entirely sure. I did not notice the bloom until the morning I found my anemone caught in my MP-10. At first I thought it might be that some of the anemone remnants had stained the sand but as you can see in the pictures it is also on the rocks. I see the discussions about cyano but I'm not sure what I have. Last night I ordered my clean up crew (5 Scarlet Hermits, 10 Nassarius Snails, 10 Astrea Snails, and Orange Spot Diamond Goby) from VividAquariums. What can I do to help this situation? Maybe a water change? Please help!
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome @reefhunter to R2R. I'm seeing a little cyano and something else...most likely diatoms, as crabs points out. I'm going to guess that this is a relatively new tank. If so, they all go through this stage. Kept an eye on nitrates and phosphates, and do water changes as needed.

What are you doing to export nutrients....skimmer, reactors, refugium, algae scrubber, etc.?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is young enough to have a diatom Bloom it's definitely not old enough to have an anemone yet. usually you want to wait until the tank has matured anywhere from 8 months to a year before adding an anemone. it might be part of the reason why he let go and got sucked into the powerhead

OP
OP
ReeferHunter

ReeferHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is young enough to have a diatom Bloom it's definitely not old enough to have an anemone yet. usually you want to wait until the tank has matured anywhere from 8 months to a year before adding an anemone. it might be part of the reason why he let go and got sucked into the powerhead
I wish the guy who sold it to me knew and told me that. The anemone was severely damaged losing about 60% of the bubble tips. In that event I turned the MP-10 off but he was stuck on there and I had to leave for work. I was very upset that I let this happen. When I came home from work about 9 hours later he had come free from the powerhead and stuck himself to some rocks in the back of the tank. Considering how bad he looked I believe he's making a decent recovery because of his color and bubble tip size. Not entirely sure if that means he's recovering but from what I can observe he looks to be getting better. My cleaner skunk shrimp hasn't left his side since it all happened. Not sure if that is symbiosis or coincidence. Before I ordered any corals the tank had been running for 3 weeks under perfect water parameters. I will be testing and doing a water change tomorrow.

OP
OP
ReeferHunter

ReeferHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome @reefhunter to R2R. I'm seeing a little cyano and something else...most likely diatoms, as crabs points out. I'm going to guess that this is a relatively new tank. If so, they all go through this stage. Kept an eye on nitrates and phosphates, and do water changes as needed.

What are you doing to export nutrients....skimmer, reactors, refugium, algae scrubber, etc.?
I run a protein skimmer that came with the RedSea E-MAXX 170, then I purchased 2 Aquamaxx media reactors holding Phosphate Out and activated carbon I believe called Rox 0.8. However no refugium or algae scrubber. I will be testing all water parameters tomorrow and if phosphates are high I will change out the Phosphate Out as well in the reactor.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the guy who sold it to me knew and told me that. The anemone was severely damaged losing about 60% of the bubble tips. In that event I turned the MP-10 off but he was stuck on there and I had to leave for work. I was very upset that I let this happen. When I came home from work about 9 hours later he had come free from the powerhead and stuck himself to some rocks in the back of the tank. Considering how bad he looked I believe he's making a decent recovery because of his color and bubble tip size. Not entirely sure if that means he's recovering but from what I can observe he looks to be getting better. My cleaner skunk shrimp hasn't left his side since it all happened. Not sure if that is symbiosis or coincidence. Before I ordered any corals the tank had been running for 3 weeks under perfect water parameters. I will be testing and doing a water change tomorrow.
Yeah, definitely are going to want to do some water changes if the anemone got shredded.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see what your number are tomorrow. New tank, this is the ugly stage and the is really not a thing you can do but let it run it's corse;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferHunter

ReeferHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see what your number are tomorrow. New tank, this is the ugly stage and the is really not a thing you can do but let it run it's corse;)
Hey, I ran 2 tests today only for nitrates and phosphates and my nitrate level came out at approximately o.37ppm and my
phosphate reading was approximately 0.0ppm. It seems my media reactor with phosphate out and skimmer are working well. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to hold off till tomorrow to do my water change but is there anything else I should be doing? Decreasing intensity of light or anything to help my situation? I understand that I'm in the "uglies" stage but I just want to stay on top of the situation as best as possible

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I ran 2 tests today only for nitrates and phosphates and my nitrate level came out at approximately o.37ppm and my
phosphate reading was approximately 0.0ppm. It seems my media reactor with phosphate out and skimmer are working well. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to hold off till tomorrow to do my water change but is there anything else I should be doing? Decreasing intensity of light or anything to help my situation? I understand that I'm in the "uglies" stage but I just want to stay on top of the situation as best as possible
It has to run it’s course. you can run carbon tho that will help some.

EDIT- Woops I thought I was responding to a different thread going threw an algea bloom with dirtier water

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But coincidentally diatoms also have to run their course and tho I did do a water change after about 7-10 days of diatoms I didn’t stir up the sand much till I noticed it started dieing off the rock at around 14 days. Then I had a water change around 21 days where I vaccumed the sand bed and the diatoms didn’t return. I still have a few spots on my rock but nothing concerning. my tank is still under the year mark so algea blooms are to be expected

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But coincidentally diatoms also have to run their course and tho I did do a water change after about 7-10 days of diatoms I didn’t stir up the sand much till I noticed it started dieing off the rock at around 14 days. Then I had a water change around 21 days where I vaccumed the sand bed and the diatoms didn’t return. I still have a few spots on my rock but nothing concerning. my tank is still under the year mark so algea blooms are to be expected
+1

OP
OP
ReeferHunter

ReeferHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But coincidentally diatoms also have to run their course and tho I did do a water change after about 7-10 days of diatoms I didn’t stir up the sand much till I noticed it started dieing off the rock at around 14 days. Then I had a water change around 21 days whe
Thank you

re I vaccumed the sand bed and the diatoms didn’t return. I still have a few spots on my rock but nothing concerning. my tank is still under the year mark so algea blooms are to be expected
I have carbon in a media reactor now as well. Thank

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back