First "Big" Tank: IM100 vs. Cade 900 - looking for thoughts/comments/opinions

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'm looking to start my first "Big" reef tank, and am considering either the Innovative Marine INT 100 and the Cade 900 S2.

IM Pro's: Price, flexibility, and I prefer the tank dimensions. IM Con's: I need to figure out the plumbing and the equipment on my own.
Cade Pro's: Everything's done, highest quality (presumably). Cade Con's: Price, must use their sump and ATO.

I'm leaning towards the IM: (1) while the Cade quality seems to be uniformly considered top tier, I *assume* (hopefully correctly) that the IM quality is at least almost as good (and just as good or better than Red Sea and Waterbox, the only other 2 brands I looked at, and both of which seem to have enough issues posted on this forum that they make me worried more than the IM and certainly the Cade, and also the IM/Cade aluminum stands seem infinitely superior to the wooden stands); (2) I like the flexibility of the IM because my current thought is to start out very simply with just a cheap 30/40g tank (or whatever fits underneath) for a sump with a return pump and then I can start adding things as I go (likely some kind of filter roll, protein skimmer, ATO and that's about it until the tank starts to settle (see below)); and (3) the tank dimensions are more to my liking (the Cade is a bit more "boxy" in overall shape). While price does impact the decision (as it always will for me), at this point it's the least of my considerations given the ultimate difference in spending being fairly marginal once everything's added up (in for a penny, in for a pound).

FWIW, I used to keep fresh and salt water tanks 30 years ago and I fully appreciate the time and commitment needed for this. I did just get a Fluval 13.5 just to "get back into it" and also since I'll need a quarantine tank anyways. I had initially planned to stay small until the Fluval was well underway, but as I'm working through the 13.5 the itch for the bigger tank is getting stronger and I'm getting more comfortable with all the new information, equipment, etc. Also, the Black Friday deals are pretty good incentive to get in now.

Regardless of which tank, my (outdated) experience is that getting even a smaller tank up and running well takes a long time, so I'm not expecting to stock the "big tank" with anything more than 4-6 small fish (couple clowns, firefish, etc.) and maybe a few small coral and an anemone and not much else until I'm past the ugly stage and feel like things have settled down - which is another reason why I like the IM and my plan to start very simply (with likely no more than a filter roll protein skimmer, ATO). My biggest worry is getting the Cade and feeling like the sump and the ATO system aren't quite right for me (if I had a crystal ball and knew that the Cade sump and ATO systems were perfect for me, then I'd likely go Cade just to save on the plumbing and to get it all done at once).

Anyways, any thoughts, comments, suggestions, opinions are greatly appreciated - and thanks to this forum for providing an amazing wealth of info. When I was fishkeeping 30 years ago, everything was learned through a few books, a couple magazines, and your LFS. Kids these days don't know how good they have it ;)

Thanks for reading my wall of text and thanks for any input you're willing to share.

Last edited:

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM100-EXT and yes, you have to figure things out but to me the dimensions are worth it. The equipment you’re not going to see all the time, but the display will always be in view.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 IM (14 peninsula and nuvo 40). I also have 2 cades (1500 and 1800). I love them all and have no issues other than the stands. Cade is far superior never worring when I get it wet. It won’t rot . you can change the sump up on the bigger cades but not familiar with the 900. The only advice I can give is if the bug has got you and if you can, step up even bigger so you don’t have to worry about the tank size when you find that fish you love. I thought my 40 was a step up but couldn’t enjoy a lot of fish (tangs in particular).

OP
OP
J

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade 900 inbound.

In case anyone is curious, after alot of reading online and spreadsheeting, the "bottom line" cost for the Cade 900 was only slightly more than the IM 100 (and not including the time to do your own plumbing, etc.). While the $/gallon ratio is a bit more for the Cade, to me the consensus re: not just Cade's quality but also the reputation of Algaebarn customer support made me feel good about spending the extra dollars.

Pretty excited to see where this all goes :)

MJY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade 900 inbound.

In case anyone is curious, after alot of reading online and spreadsheeting, the "bottom line" cost for the Cade 900 was only slightly more than the IM 100 (and not including the time to do your own plumbing, etc.). While the $/gallon ratio is a bit more for the Cade, to me the consensus re: not just Cade's quality but also the reputation of Algaebarn customer support made me feel good about spending the extra dollars.

Pretty excited to see where this all goes :)

You'll love the Cade! I have a Cade S2 600 and also have a cheeky Cade S2/P 1500 inbound as we speak!

Enjoy in good health!

Back