First Bubble Tip Anemones - Please advise

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Tomorrow ill be receiving my first two bubble tip anemones and I want be sure I'm ready and do this right the first time. Parameters of the tank are all in order but I was wondering the safest way to acclimate them? I already have two small clowns so I'm hoping they make the anems fell more comfortable sooner than later. Any and all advice/suggestions would be much appreciated so I can prepare for these guys!

Thanks!

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I have read to turn down the power heads until they find a spot to their liking. but, i also heard they move to get the flow they need so.... I have 2 Mp10's and i have the foam covers on them that they come with. Im thinking this should do? and i can just turn them down till they attach?

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once u aculmate them place in a rock nd let them be

There gonna do some weird **** they may split they may look stringy there may never be bubbles again

ITS ALL NORMAL LET THEM BE ONCE IN UR TANK !!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Tomorrow ill be receiving my first two bubble tip anemones and I want be sure I'm ready and do this right the first time. Parameters of the tank are all in order but I was wondering the safest way to acclimate them? I already have two small clowns so I'm hoping they make the anems fell more comfortable sooner than later. Any and all advice/suggestions would be much appreciated so I can prepare for these guys!

Thanks!
Did this twice in the past month. drip acclimate over a couple, of hours.. They will attach to your acclimation bucket. To detatch, remove most of the water and tilt so they are out of the water, then coax release with fingers over a couple of minutes.
Turn off flow and place in a well lit spot in your rockwork, where you want them. Mine stayed where I initially placed them.
Good luck

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once u aculmate them place in a rock nd let them be

There gonna do some weird **** they may split they may look stringy there may never be bubbles again

ITS ALL NORMAL LET THEM BE ONCE IN UR TANK !!

Did this twice in the past month. drip acclimate over a couple, of hours.. They will attach to your acclimation bucket. To detatch, remove most of the water and tilt so they are out of the water, then coax release with fingers over a couple of minutes.
Turn off flow and place in a well lit spot in your rockwork, where you want them. Mine stayed where I initially placed them.
Good luck
Thanks guys!! someone also told me not to drip acclimate since they slowly acclimate themselves this drawn out process might stress them too much for too long... was told to temp acclimate then release.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!! someone also told me not to drip acclimate since they slowly acclimate themselves this drawn out process might stress them too much for too long... was told to temp acclimate then release.
Imo, bad advice. Best way to kill an invert is quick salinity or other parameter change, ie drop in tank. But maybe others can comment.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float the bag for 15 minutes, match the salinity in the bag during this time, turn off flow, sit him down, let him stick (say 1hour) and never touch him again.

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float the bag for 15 minutes, match the salinity in the bag during this time, turn off flow, sit him down, let him stick (say 1hour) and never touch him again.

In lamens turms

Float the bag for 15 minutes then toss some of ur water in the bag with them then add to tank

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple rock solid rules to follow :)

1. Do not manhandle the nem out of it’s spot in the tank. If you don’t like where it settles, changing the flow will usually cause the nem to walk somewhere else

2. Keep powerheads protected but at their normal output. If the new decides on a spot then you turn the flow up, this will cause the nem to walk away

3. Definitely temp acclimate! There’s mixed opinions/reviews/experiences with drip acclimation but I’d say either float and drop in or float and add 50% more water to the bag. So if the bag starts with 2 cups of water in it, add 1 cup of tank water; of course, you can eyeball this. Nems are inverts, but they are NOT like shrimp where you gotta drip them for like 30 mins or whatever. Extended drip times can and will stress a nem to death, I made that mistake and now I just float them and drop them in the tank. I’m so confident in this method that I did it with my CSB and he’s very happy now. I’ve got 8 BTA and they were all introduced using the float and drop method so that’s what I recommend but I know that it’s a little intimidating for people used to dripping.

4. The nem is going to do weird stuff. Bubble, be thin, stretch, scrunch up, walk around multiple times per day, etc. As long as the mouth isn’t overly gaping for a long time, it’s not bleaching, and it doesn’t release mensenterial filaments (looks like white worms) then it’s doing okay and you shouldn’t be worried. Nems are weird and you just gotta go with it, don’t let them get your blood pressure up

5. That nem is gonna settle wherever it settles. Make sure you have a plan to move corals/encourage it to move if it picks that ONE spot with a coral you can’t really move. They don’t really sting too much while they walk so make sure you wait like 24 hours before moving stuff away from the nem to make sure it really is settled there.

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. My gig came on a tiny piece and he is getting blasted..... never let go. My BTAs I can’t get off the rocks if I try (and I have)
THEN DO NO TOUCH IT AGIAN !!!!

A couple rock solid rules to follow :)

1. Do not manhandle the nem out of it’s spot in the tank. If you don’t like where it settles, changing the flow will usually cause the nem to walk somewhere else

2. Keep powerheads protected but at their normal output. If the new decides on a spot then you turn the flow up, this will cause the nem to walk away

3. Definitely temp acclimate! There’s mixed opinions/reviews/experiences with drip acclimation but I’d say either float and drop in or float and add 50% more water to the bag. So if the bag starts with 2 cups of water in it, add 1 cup of tank water; of course, you can eyeball this. Nems are inverts, but they are NOT like shrimp where you gotta drip them for like 30 mins or whatever. Extended drip times can and will stress a nem to death, I made that mistake and now I just float them and drop them in the tank. I’m so confident in this method that I did it with my CSB and he’s very happy now. I’ve got 8 BTA and they were all introduced using the float and drop method so that’s what I recommend but I know that it’s a little intimidating for people used to dripping.

4. The nem is going to do weird stuff. Bubble, be thin, stretch, scrunch up, walk around multiple times per day, etc. As long as the mouth isn’t overly gaping for a long time, it’s not bleaching, and it doesn’t release mensenterial filaments (looks like white worms) then it’s doing okay and you shouldn’t be worried. Nems are weird and you just gotta go with it, don’t let them get your blood pressure up

5. That nem is gonna settle wherever it settles. Make sure you have a plan to move corals/encourage it to move if it picks that ONE spot with a coral you can’t really move. They don’t really sting too much while they walk so make sure you wait like 24 hours before moving stuff away from the nem to make sure it really is settled there.
Thanks so much for the good info! ive only got one duncan atm so the plan all along has been to let the nems pick their place before adding other corals... You all have been great and the advice is much appreciated!!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the good info! ive only got one duncan atm so the plan all along has been to let the nems pick their place before adding other corals... You all have been great and the advice is much appreciated!!
Your tank is at least 6 months old right?

JonChicago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along on this as well as I'm likely getting my first BTA soon. I have two mp40s on a Redsea 250 that I run on a pretty erratic, intense flow pattern 6-8hr of the total 13hrs the lights are on. Overnight the pumps decrease a lot in intensity. So I'm wondering will this up and down pattern in a 24hr period make it to tough for the new nem to find it's sweet spot?

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my first nem about 4-5 months in my tank. I know a little early. Well I planned where I wanted it to go. Top and center. Lots of flow and lots of light. Found a good hole between the rocks that I would try to get it to go in. I acclimated it for a good 30 mins floating. Then I added a cup of tank water to the bag every 10 mins until the bag was full. I then reached in the bag grabbed the nem and put him in the hole I had for him. Had pumps off while putting it in. It sunk in the hole disappeared for a good couple of hours. It hasn't moved an inch in 3 weeks. Thinking I got lucky. Parameters haven't moved much in that time. Feed it every couple of days and just let it do what it wants.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not drip acclimate an anemone they do this themselves. Temp acclimate and let them be. Doing a drip will stress it out more than the travel and possibly kill it. If your salinity is that far off there’s a problem in the first place however footgals advice is good one flush would be fine.

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Update*
Went with @footgal and did the temp acclimation and then added my tank water equal to half of the bag water... water about 5 mins and Turned my power heads down to set him on the rock where I wanted... he attached instantly so I slowly increased the flow to where I want it... he instantly moved and found his place and is doing amazing!!!

Thanks everyone!!

Heres my first “rainbow-tip Bubble tip anemone”
810B1C82-835A-49C9-9874-91EFC8EEBD39.jpeg

74DEC43E-B33B-40B3-8A46-C07B87611BFE.jpeg

80F34EB4-4D59-4265-BACB-10A7D3B15DD5.jpeg

Pictures are 1. Where I wanted him 2. ON THE MOVE! 3. Home sweet home...

Back