First Clownfish died. What next? Do a I worry about the other one?

meh180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a pair of clownfish 2 1/2 weeks ago. Was told by the lfs they were a bonded pair. One of them (I think the male) had been worrying me for a the past couple weeks and found it dead this evening.

He had some stringy white poop a week after I got them, Had some people on a fb group immediately suggest parasites I'm in Canada so getting fish medication is not easy. Others suggested could just be a diet issue from change in food. Suggested changing food and keeping an eye out for weight and colour loss.

The food change seemed to help a bit. Though this week I saw him resting on the bottom of the tank a few times. This morning I noticed a drastic change in weight, so thinking it was parasites after all. First pic is from two weeks ago, 2nd pic is this morning.

What should I do next with the second fish? Wait and see if she seems to have any issues. Try to get ahold of an aquatic vet now? Get a new smaller clown to be her tank mate now? Or wait till her QT is done, and QT a 2nd clown on it's own?
Feeling a bit discouraged.
20210510_081532.jpg 20210510_081532.jpg 20210523_113458.jpg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss -- but don't be discouraged! While it might well have been parasites, it's very difficult to get a complete history of fish (unless they're captive bred, and come from the breeder or a seller whose tanks you've inspected yourself), and there's probably little that you could have done given our current, medication-less, reality.

I quarantine all my incoming livestock because, as you've noted, we can't treat them with meds. I'd go that route myself and, if you're dead set on another clown, let them go through quarantine together. You'll also likely be able to catch any compatibility issues now instead of having to chase a fish around your display if it turns out to be a problem in the future.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back