First coral vendor display show and sale

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I attended my first small coral exhibition show sale today in anaheim. It was fairly small sized in a hotel conference room but I found it really nice. There were some great displays there from local Socal vendors and the prices were really good. I thought much better then online ordering plus you can barter the price down to sometimes. Some nice exotic stuff that I don't typically see at my LFS. I only picked up a nice little acan frag because I bought some corals last week but I will certainly plan ahead next time when I need some nice corals at a good price point. I highly recommend attending one if you have not done so previously.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local frag swaps and buying directly from the ta ks of local reefers is 110% the way to go. No need to click refresh on some stupid live sale. You will get better corals at better prices from the folks in your local reef club. Plus, there is a nice social aspect to it.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local frag swaps and buying directly from the ta ks of local reefers is 110% the way to go. No need to click refresh on some stupid live sale. You will get better corals at better prices from the folks in your local reef club. Plus, there is a nice social aspect to it.
Agreed, it seemed like a lot of customers already knew the vendors and the vendors knew each other. I was really impressed with the variety, quality and pricing.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, it seemed like a lot of customers already knew the vendors and the vendors knew each other. I was really impressed with the variety, quality and pricing.
Are you a part of a local reef club? That's the absolute best way to get coral. Local reef club members will invite you to their homes, chat reef tanks, sell you a mini colony for a quarter of what the online folks want for an inch long frag.

We all have coral. If we're any good at this at all, our coral WILL outgrow the space allotment. So we pass on good deals to other local reefers. Just last week I gave away two corals to a guy in my club who I had never met before, because I heard he had just started up his first tank and was new to our club.

As an added bonus, you get people who can help in real time in an emergency. Two nights ago a guy in our club had a return pump die at like 9pm. He posted on the local forum and within minutes, several of us offered him a backup to borrow.

Local clubs are the way to go.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool, I have to look into this and dang, I need to buy a back up pump to just in case. You are by chance in so ca?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local reef gatherings are also small enough that you actually have a chance at winning the raffles. Last frag swap I won a new rodi and some other stuff. Also, once you make friends with people, you just sort of give each other coral. It's way more fun with other people. Let's face it, most of us do this hobby with the tolerance of our friends and family members. It's fun to hang out with other reefers.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local reef gatherings are also small enough that you actually have a chance at winning the raffles. Last frag swap I won a new rodi and some other stuff. Also, once you make friends with people, you just sort of give each other coral. It's way more fun with other people. Let's face it, most of us do this hobby with the tolerance of our friends and family members. It's fun to hang out with other reefers.
Awesome information, thanks so much. What's the best source to make contact and join a local club? How do I find the coordinator and get on the email list?

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had the Florida Marine aquarium society’s annual frag swap today, down in Miami. It was a great one day event, with mostly local south fla vendors! The prices were great and ended up winning a Sicce XStemeSDC in the raffle! I like these small events as compared to Reefapalooza. Mainly the familiar home town faces creates for a friendly and comfortable feel.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in rancho cucamonga so not to far from OC.
Well, hello neighbor! I'm in Ontario just south of 4th st (so almost in Rancho). I'm part of the SCMAS club out of Orange County. Great group of people there.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hello neighbor! I'm in Ontario just south of 4th st (so almost in Rancho). I'm part of the SCMAS club out of Orange County. Great group of people there.
Right on, I'm at milliken and the 210. I'm definitely going to join this week. Just constantly busy with kid stuff and the never ending honey do list.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back