First corals

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I added my first corals about 6 days ago. GSP and zoas. They keep opening then closing. When I got home tonight the gsp was completely closed and hasn't opened at all. The zoa has one polyp opened. Not sure what's going on. Salinity is fine, nitrates are around 20ppm. Everything else in the tank (two clowns and a CUC) are doing fine. But my corals just don't seem happy. I have a Biocube 32 with stock lighting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate them and how did you receive them? What CUC do you have?

Most zoas I’ve found to be super tolerant of high nitrates but I’m thinking they could have acclimation (is that a word) issues maybe with lighting or something unless something in the tank is bugging them. Sometimes I find my shrimp and clownfish check out new corals for a bit and bug them.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate them and how did you receive them? What CUC do you have?

Most zoas I’ve found to be super tolerant of high nitrates but I’m thinking they could have acclimation (is that a word) issues maybe with lighting or something unless something in the tank is bugging them. Sometimes I find my shrimp and clownfish check out new corals for a bit and bug them.
I floated the bags for about 20 min then slowly added water from the tank then added the frags to the tank. I got them from my lfs. They seemed pretty good the first couple days but have gotten worse. I have a few snails and about a dozen hermit crabs. I do find my hermits picking around them but not that often.

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they high or low in the tank? When I had stock lighting in my 32g cube some of my ZOA's reached really hard for light. I moved them to about 1/3 to halfway up and they seemed happy

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they high or low in the tank? When I had stock lighting in my 32g cube some of my ZOA's reached really hard for light. I moved them to about 1/3 to halfway up and they seemed happy
The zoas are at the bottom but the gsp is at the top.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your new corals. I’m not familiar with the Biocube lighting, but I would recommend using a coral dip to see if anything falls off. Are you able to test your phosphates?

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your new corals. I’m not familiar with the Biocube lighting, but I would recommend using a coral dip to see if anything falls off. Are you able to test your phosphates?
I'm not but I am planning on getting a phosphate test kit. I'll look into doing a dip. Thanks!

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't bother dipping corals now. It is too late for that. Give them some time. I would change temp +/- 1 and wait 2-3 days. If that's not it, revert the change and change water flow. Wait few days.
If that's won't help I would do a massive water change if you don't know all of your parameters.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back