First day of tropic marin pro reef salt.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS recommended a switch from Red Sea blue bucket to tropic marin pro salt after reviewing my ICP test. They felt that some of my trace elements would be better replenished via wc with TM instead of dosing (iodine amongst others). Bought a bucket yesterday so here goes nothing. Wish me luck. I’ll see how it goes and plan on starting an all for reef regimen. Will do another ICP in a month or so to see if it’s made any improvements.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the same switch. Really like how TMP doesn’t leave brown residue in my mixing barrel. Also started TM A4R to supplement my calcium reactor. Very happy with results.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh, you started the great salt debate war. Lol. I actually use tropic marin pro mostly because of how clean it mixes. I have a lot of automation and cleaning the sludge out of all this equipment gets very old. Tropic Marin seems to keep everything very clean and I am able to cut back on a lot of extra work leaving more time to enjoy this hobby. I also like HW Marine but they ran out of it everywhere like 6 months back so I had to switch to something else. I would prefer to stick to one all the time. Yes they cost more but it is worth it for the less time I have to spend cleaning.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the same switch. Really like how TMP doesn’t leave brown residue in my mixing barrel. Also started TM A4R to supplement my calcium reactor. Very happy with results.
The hobby has a way of making heads spin. I read and read and read and read, kept reading mixed but mostly good things about TM but was sold when my LFS suggested it because of all the benefits. I too want to start with A4R simply because of ease. One dosing pump when I feel confident to do seems like the best route to take. Hope the switch is worth it!

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh, you started the great salt debate war. Lol. I actually use tropic marin pro mostly because of how clean it mixes. I have a lot of automation and cleaning the sludge out of all this equipment gets very old. Tropic Marin seems to keep everything very clean and I am able to cut back on a lot of extra work leaving more time to enjoy this hobby. I also like HW Marine but they ran out of it everywhere like 6 months back so I had to switch to something else. I would prefer to stick to one all the time. Yes they cost more but it is worth it for the less time I have to spend cleaning.
Lol, I’ve seen how heated salt debates go on here. I currently have a nano tank so I predict that when the time comes to re-up I’ll have a buffer in finding what I need in a timely fashion. My ICP test came back with really low iodine levels and when I talked to my LFS about not wanting to buy a bottle of iodine just to use a couple of drops they highly recommended TM because of its trace elements. I have tickets for reef currents in Houston in about a couple weeks and want to get my tank in order in case there’s something that catch’s my eye.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use TM for the clean mixing, and quick too, but a great benefit is that alk is low at about 7.6, so I can raise it exactly to my parameters before the water change.

Also, if you are looking for the bucket, Petco.com has it in stock.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use TM for the clean mixing, and quick too, but a great benefit is that alk is low at about 7.6, so I can raise it exactly to my parameters before the water change.

Also, if you are looking for the bucket, Petco.com has it in stock.
That’s is exactly what the alk tested to!!! I was advised against dosing into wc water as I was doing (just a couple WC’s) and for the next week I’ll be doing 1 gallon a day without any dosing to replenish my elements in an attempt to shock my livestock with alk swings.

mixes super clean compared to the blue bucket!!!

my LFS regularly gets TM but it’s great to know that I can purchase at big box stores. I personally would rather support local though! The bucket should last close to a year due to my tank size.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it's more readily available than their All-for-Reef formula!!
My LFS stocks the liquid A4R. I’m gonna buy the pre-mix and see how it goes. If it goes good, I’ll BRS the individual ingredients and mix my own.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of that salt. 1/3 of the cost is overseas transport. Same with Red Sea, huge part of the cost is transport.
I had a hard time getting it and in Canada, it’s twice the price of Red Sea, three times the price Fritz.
The Alk was way to low for my mixed reef and my marine pure blocks started to disintegrate.
Now I buy local US made salts and so, so happy.
In two years, not one difference between the high end and the low end.

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it's more readily available than their All-for-Reef formula!!
I just switch when my lfs starting carry tmp.

Did a small water change and it was easy. Mixing clear, fast and hit the SG with just 1/2 cup per gallon.

I brought the small box of salt and even that small box is impressive with the way it is design to be resealable.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of that salt. 1/3 of the cost is overseas transport. Same with Red Sea, huge part of the cost is transport.
I had a hard time getting it and in Canada, it’s twice the price of Red Sea, three times the price Fritz.
The Alk was way to low for my mixed reef and my marine pure blocks started to disintegrate.
Now I buy local US made salts and so, so happy.
In two years, not one difference between the high end and the low end.
I’m in the midst of this hobby and my LFS has been spot on with advise and I trust their opinion. It’s a bit pricey but in my life experience I’ve found that sometimes there are reasons for it. Canada sounds like a rough place when it comes to getting supplements and such for this hobby. Glad you found an alternative that works for you!!!

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switch when my lfs starting carry tmp.

Did a small water change and it was easy. Mixing clear, fast and hit the SG with just 1/2 cup per gallon.

I brought the small box of salt and even that small box is impressive with the way it is design to be resealable.
I’m in day one. Did a 3 gallon wc which is my norm and will continue with a gallon a day for the next 5 days. My LFS felt that was a good plan to get the old out(ish) and to slowly replenish. Fingers crossed. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep SPS one day!!!

To your point, mixes super clear. If you have a scale…..135 grams per gallon always gets me at 1.026 SG.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched to Red Sea blue from TM pro. It’s alot more expensive and even harder to find. I had to bump up the alk of TM pro and Im dosing TM A&K elements anyway. I really haven’t noticed a difference except in my pocketbook.
Reason for my switch was my ICP test results. I had read that TM had a bunch more trace elements over the blue bucket. My ICP test came back with super low iodine. I had been doin wc with blue bucket and no dosing and some of my levels were low due to no dosing and the lack of iodine in blue bucket. I’m ok with dosing the normal stuff but didn’t want to invest in a bottle of iodine for literally the few drops I was goin to use. I don’t disagree, the TM is expensive BUT over the course of several months that it’ll last me it doesnt bother me too much. One less, virtually full, bottle of supplement is worth the trade off for me. Not sure of the shelf life of iodine and, if it’s not long, it’s just money thrown away in my situation. TM, I’m told has enough iodine in it that WC’s replenish it accordingly.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the TMP. Just got started with the A4R. i started the powder to make my own. Makes it much more cost effective. Still early in the game for me. I absolutley love the salt though
I’ll probably start the A4R sooner than I think….. I’m not expecting miracles I just want my water chemistry to be right without crazy dosing regimens.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue bucket lasted me over 10 months and that’s with the emergency hospital tank I had to set up and do daily gallon wc’s on.

Back