First day of tropic marin pro reef salt.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a ton of experience with different salts but I have used Seachem's Vibrant Sea when I first started the hobby. Seemed like a perfectly fine salt. I then switched to Instant Ocean Reef Crystals because my LFS that I got the salt from never has consistent hours so I was kinda SOL if I need it in an emergency. I used IO Reef Crystals for a good year and a half before I got sick of cleaning my mixing station and pump after every water change. I had no other issues with it, and would switch back in the event that there isn't any other salt available. I then switched to TMP salt as so many people say it mixes so well. Boy, am I glad I listened. I can dump enough salt for 30gal into my mixing bin and then come back in a hour to test the salinity because its totally mixed in and clear. Another instance, I just recently set up my 80gal tank with 40 sump. I filled everything with RO water and dumped the salt right in the tank. Two hours later I had clear perfectly mixed water with just my return pump running. So when people say it mixes really well, believe it. For the cherry on top, I haven't had to clean my mixing bin once since I've switched.
hallelujah GIF

To me, that's totally worth the cost of TMP. Now, I can't say if this is just me and my tank but, I have found the need for fewer water changes since switching as well. I always do water changes based on how my corals are looking. With IO Reef Crystals, I found 25% every 10-12 days was the needed to keep the corals looking their best. With TMP, I honestly have done a water change in... well I couldn't tell you really. lol like I said, could totally just be a coincidence but if I factor that into my cost of running the tank, I went through one bucket in like, three plus months. Which if I'm being honest half the bucket was used in setting up my new tank. So I could probably get by with a bucket and a half a year.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m all honesty, I have zero complains with how well blue bucket mixed. It did however always leave a bit of “dirt” at the bottom of my mixing bucket. I use a cheap powerhead because I’m lazy and refuse to mix it by hand. I can just set it and forget it! I eventually want to get to the point where I do minimal WC’s but I gotta get my nutrients wrangled back in. In the process of getting my nutrients back to manageable levels I’m gonna start to dose….probably go get a pre-mixed bottle of A4R and start a dosing regimen. Once I get ALLLLLL that figured out, it’s a dosing pump for me! My dude at the LFS said that getting all the individual ingredients and mixing comes out cheaper than getting the powder. I still gotta work the math out. Either way….it’s all about the ease of supplementation for me.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m all honesty, I have zero complains with how well blue bucket mixed. It did however always leave a bit of “dirt” at the bottom of my mixing bucket. I use a cheap powerhead because I’m lazy and refuse to mix it by hand. I can just set it and forget it! I eventually want to get to the point where I do minimal WC’s but I gotta get my nutrients wrangled back in. In the process of getting my nutrients back to manageable levels I’m gonna start to dose….probably go get a pre-mixed bottle of A4R and start a dosing regimen. Once I get ALLLLLL that figured out, it’s a dosing pump for me! My dude at the LFS said that getting all the individual ingredients and mixing comes out cheaper than getting the powder. I still gotta work the math out. Either way….it’s all about the ease of supplementation for me.
Power head? what's that All jokes aside. I do weekly 5g water changes. 50g total system volume and I've never actually mixed the TMP salt. It's so amazing I fill the jug and dump the salt. Cap it and forget it. It's wonderful stuff.
20210829_135733.jpg

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power head? what's that All jokes aside. I do weekly 5g water changes. 50g total system volume and I've never actually mixed the TMP salt. It's so amazing I fill the jug and dump the salt. Cap it and forget it. It's wonderful stuff.
20210829_135733.jpg
That’s awesome! I’ve read that keeping mixed salt for extended amounts of time is not advised. I’ve got a 29 gallon brute full of rodi and that’s been a game changer for me.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS stocks the liquid A4R. I’m gonna buy the pre-mix and see how it goes. If it goes good, I’ll BRS the individual ingredients and mix my own.

I think others already replied but if you do go with TM AFR then buy the powder mix and save some money. If you go the DIY route you are around 100 bucks vs the AFR newly released powder for 60-70'ish. Mixes in 20 minutes or so, clear. Not the blue tint and no left over stuff on the bottom but same super awesome results.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used TM for awhile and loved how it didn't leave a residue. That being said, I didn't like the price so use Instant Ocean now and there is no difference in corals. I just need to wipe out my mixing barrel after now. It is not a mixing station though, just a brute with a maxijet so probably easier to clean.

Never thought about how the salts are transported overseas. I guess that is not great for the environment.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think others already replied but if you do go with TM AFR then buy the powder mix and save some money. If you go the DIY route you are around 100 bucks vs the AFR newly released powder for 60-70'ish. Mixes in 20 minutes or so, clear. Not the blue tint and no left over stuff on the bottom but same super awesome results.
Yes, I kinda sat down and did a lil of figuring but hadn’t gotten around to figuring out the cost of powder vs individual ingredients. I am all about ease and the powder seems to be the easiest.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used TM for awhile and loved how it didn't leave a residue. That being said, I didn't like the price so use Instant Ocean now and there is no difference in corals. I just need to wipe out my mixing barrel after now. It is not a mixing station though, just a brute with a maxijet so probably easier to clean.

Never thought about how the salts are transported overseas. I guess that is not great for the environment.
Goin from blue bucket to TMP isn’t too big of a price difference. I’m mainly hoping to get my elements in check without buying extra additives.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken BRS tested various salt water mixes as they sit for periods of time. TMP like most showed no signs of problem. I mix my fresh after the WC so it sits mixed for a week which isn't even a concern

Yes, they did. I think this is the one you are talking about and Tropic Marin did very well. I would say while the cost is higher than most if you are making up and storing water this would be the ideal salt to use.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they did. I think this is the one you are talking about and Tropic Marin did very well. I would say while the cost is higher than most if you are making up and storing water this would be the ideal salt to use.

Also in OP case with a Bio cube. Also with my rsr200 Our tank size makes the cost difference less felt.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using IO Reef Crystals for years. While I've had success with it, I don't like the muck it leaves in the Brute mixing bin. The video linked above from BRS is a great test of water storage and they also did another that I found very useful. A few people have said they won't pay extra for the TMP but after watching this video from BRS, I'll be switching from IO Reef Crystal after all these years to TMP when I'm ready for my next bucket.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken BRS tested various salt water mixes as they sit for periods of time. TMP like most showed no signs of problem. I mix my fresh after the WC so it sits mixed for a week which isn't even a concern
Good to know! I got a 5 gallon mixed bucket at home for my gallon a day WC’s.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I got a 5 gallon mixed bucket at home for my gallon a day WC’s.
That's an interesting way to do it. What's your process and why? I'm relatively fresh back to the hobby and I've seen alot of people latley that do daily micro changes. Some evening multiple times a day.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting way to do it. What's your process and why? I'm relatively fresh back to the hobby and I've seen alot of people latley that do daily micro changes. Some evening multiple times a day.
Only because my ICP test came back with super low iodine levels (almost zero). My LFS suggested I do a 60-70 wc with TMP to replenish my low levels and I decided to do 25% yesterday and do 1 gallon per day for the rest of the week in order not to surprise or shock my livestock. After this week it’s back to my regular 20%ish weekly/bi-weekly wc schedule.

REEFDAZE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably start the A4R sooner than I think….. I’m not expecting miracles I just want my water chemistry to be right without crazy dosing regimens.
the thing I like most about using tmp salt and a4r is that you dose a4r until you get your all where you want it and the rest "should" be exactly where it needs to be...depending on your reefs uptake of course.

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably start the A4R sooner than I think….. I’m not expecting miracles I just want my water chemistry to be right without crazy dosing regimens.
I made the same switch and am glad I did, TM just mixes faster and cleaner. For nano reefers, we’re usually mixing as we need it so that’s a huge plus. Now that my tank is pretty full of corals, my ICP test showed low trace elements so I started auto dosing AFR. It’s definitely made a positive impact and dkh & calcium have remained very stable.

Pizza2049

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in day one. Did a 3 gallon wc which is my norm and will continue with a gallon a day for the next 5 days. My LFS felt that was a good plan to get the old out(ish) and to slowly replenish. Fingers crossed. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep SPS one day!!!

To your point, mixes super clear. If you have a scale…..135 grams per gallon always gets me at 1.026 SG.
2.5 cups always gets me to 1.026 myself.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back