First dose of cupramine question.

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dosed cupramine in my qt tank for the first time tonight. I tested the water with the seachem test kit and it is reading .5 . I was under the assumption since I had to dose again in 48 hours it should only be half that amount. Did I misunderstand the directions or possibly have a bad test kit? I ordered a salifert kit that will not be here until monday or tuesday . Should I just not dose again until I get the new kit? A little worried since the fish is definitely behaving different for example he much slower swimming around the tank . Thanks.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your QT, you dose 1 ml per 10 gal on the 1st dose and then wait 48 hours and do it again. I dosed .5 ml per 10 gal twice daily for 2 days and then waited 48 hours and did it again for a total of 4 ml in a 20 gal QT tank and my tank tested at .5 ppm.

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 40 breeder . I used 76 drops so a bit less than 4ml

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 40 breeder . I used 76 drops so a bit less than 4ml
So then a full dose would be 8 ml, so you should be fine, but I would have raised the copper ppm slower, take twice as long as recommended on the container. I'm about to get a wrasse and I will take 4 times longer than recommended as they are copper sensitive. What fish do u have in QT?

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 30 minutes after dosing I tested. I have a small koran angelfish. This is my first time using copper instead of hypo so it is a new experience for me . So since a full dose is 8 more than likely a test kit issue or user error performing the test. Feel like waiting to dose again until the new kit comes next week to be on the safe side.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 30 minutes after dosing I tested. I have a small koran angelfish. This is my first time using copper instead of hypo so it is a new experience for me . So since a full dose is 8 more than likely a test kit issue or user error performing the test. Feel like waiting to dose again until the new kit comes next week to be on the safe side.

I'm not sure how long u should wait between dosing and testing as @Big G had brought up, this may affect the testing, on the next dose, dose it over 4 doses, morning and evening over 2 days.

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I am understanding correctly, After 48 hours start the 4 smaller doses or just do the first of 4 smaller doses tomorrow morning?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your dose amount sounds about correct. I'd wait until 24 hours have passed before testing to give the tank and water time to adjust to the copper. I have found that the two large doses are a bit harsh on fish. I usually break the dose into equal smaller amounts and over a slightly longer time frame depending on the type of fish.

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested again after 24 hours and it looks like .2-.3 ppm . Added another ml of cupramine today after work. Seems to be adjusting to it better and even ate a decent amount of nls pellets. Definitely a big difference in reaction to the smaller dose as compared to yesterdays. Going to dose another ml tomorrow and again on saturday. Then should only need .8 ml to get it to .5

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back