Predator Reef 50g "Piece of Bali"

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on budget but for that size tank and only 18inches of depth you could go 2 ai primes or 2 hydra 26 if you plan to keep high par sps

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help with my coral placement. My zoas on bottom right are not opening up well and my GSP on the bottom left is not looking great. Toadstool in the middle has not opened up much. I am in need of better lighting but I figure I could move things around first.

IMG_0261.JPG

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on budget but for that size tank and only 18inches of depth you could go 2 ai primes or 2 hydra 26 if you plan to keep high par sps
I do not plan to keep a large amount of SPS anytime soon. Only SPS I want is 1 plating monti and that is pretty much it. I am leaning more towards 2 AI prime HDs since I do not need the high PAR reading and there is no sense in paying extra for Hydra26s if I don't really need THAT much light. My tank is only 18" deep. Thoughts?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of options in a similar price range. Not sure if you would consider a single light with a centerbrace.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-32-v2/

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/10-sbox-extreme-32-wifi.html
The basic model of this same light without WiFi control in only $275. I note I have the 16” WiFi version and really like it.
Thank you for the links. I would consider an LED bar even with the center brace. I have a LED bar right now and I do not see any compromise in lighting under the bar. I am sure it is in some way hindered but not noticeable at all. I like the idea of 2 AI primes because of their price and ability to program through the app, but that's just the millennial in me. Not to mention I have seen some amazing growth and coloration.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may make a suggestion based on my experience with gsp. Your gsp will bounce back, once it does, it will grow on anything it touches. The rock you have it on will end up being covered with gsp and it will spread onto the other rocks. You are best to keep it on the sandbed as it's own little island. GSP will also grow on the glass.

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may make a suggestion based on my experience with gsp. Your gsp will bounce back, once it does, it will grow on anything it touches. The rock you have it on will end up being covered with gsp and it will spread onto the other rocks. You are best to keep it on the sandbed as it's own little island. GSP will also grow on the glass.
It's currently in the sand on it's own rock.

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a loss in the tank today as my gold headed goby died. I think it was from starvation since the tank was so new it probably did not get enough food. I did add some new coral to the tank. I got a green candy cane coral, a blastomussa (right?), and a goniopora. I am letting them sit on the sand to acclimate before placing them on my rock. I have some new additions coming in the next few days so we will see how the tank will change here shortly.

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an interesting few weeks with the tank. After recently installing my 2 AI Primes, one of them did not work so they're sending me a new light to install. The customer service was very helpful with this process and got me a light in a prompt manner. I also purchased an Ice Cap 3K Gyre. I cannot say enough good things about this pump. It provides great variable flow to my entire tank. I love the spread out flow compared to the focused flow of my old powerhead. I think it makes placing corals a lot easier as well as getting flow to the whole tank instead of just a certain place. My hammer coral recently died. Not sure exactly what it was, but I think I may have fed it too much reef roids which just sat in it's tentacles which prompted the crab to come and tear it up for the food. Lesson learned, don't over feed. I added a few favia and an acan to my tank so I am excited to see their growth and coloration.

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not posted in a while and a lot of things have changed since my last post. Going to put them in a list to make it easier:
-Started working at a LFS in Huntersville, I have learned so much just from working there and the employee discount helps
-Bought 2 AI Prime HD lights, I have been so impressed by these lights. The coral growth has exploded since running them. Most of my frags are growing off of the plug which is very encouraging. I am currently running the mock AB+ schedule that BRS did. It has helped with my coral coloration a lot especially since i now have SPS in my tank
-I opted for the Ice Cap 3K gyre. I hated how giant my old powerhead was and how focused the flow was, so I purchased this. I love the blanket flow it gives over my rock which also makes it a lot easier to place coral in a natural way in the tank. I highly recommend to anyone with a smaller tank that wants even flow. I run it on the pulsing setting with a max of 60% and a low of 10%, provides natural movement for many of my corals.

Tank Livestock additions/ subtractions:
-Lost my cardinal fish and my gold headed goby. The cardinals just did not make it and my new fish beat up the last one. My goby was improperly introduced to a new tank that did not have enough food to eat so that is my own fault.
-I purchased a sailfin tang which has been doing really well in my tank besides killing one of my cardinals (not too sad, not a big fan of cardinalfish). This fish is one I have been watching for weeks at my store, watching his eating habits as well as his health. One of the major benefits of working in a fish store is that I basically use the fish store as a "foster home" or "test drive" for all of my livestock. I also take this time to get the fish eating pellet food before I buy them, makes things a lot easier.
-Looking to add a wrasse, goby, and something else in the near future

Coral:
-German blue digitata
-Superman montipora
-Green/purple hammer
-Christmas favia
-Orange acan
-Blue/Orange favia
-Blue/Green favia
-Purlple/Turqoise blastomussa (I think)
-Orange polyp coral (Not sure exactly what it is)

Dosing:
-Started dosing Kent Marine calcium to help my SPS
-Red Sea Reef Energy A & B, I dose 20 m/L every other day, I have done so many changes to my tank recently it is hard to narrow down the improvements to my coloration to using this supplementation but I can definitely say it helps.

20180924_172812330_iOS.jpg

IMG_0353.png

20180924_171717695_iOS.jpg

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a very rough couple of weeks. Introduced a fish into my tank that caused an ich outbreak which killed all of my fish. Though I did not have much it was still discouraging. I am currently letting the tank sit for awhile to let the ich die of since it will not have a host. This time around I want to be more patient with my fish selection. I was adding very common fish to my tank that looking back now was due to my impatience. I have started creating my stocking wishlist so that will be a work in progress. My coral is doing really well; only problem I have had is trying to find the best location for my hammer corals. One is down to a single head and is on the brink of death, the other is not nearly as full as it should be.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :( When I converted my 55 gallon 3 years ago from freshwater to saltwater, same thing happened to me. I stocked too quickly, and when I added a Tang, it got ich, and within 2 weeks, all my fish were dead. I lost over $500 in fish. I went fallow for a while, then restocked VERY slowly. I also implemented a quarantine tank, which I would recommend. I haven’t lost a fish since. Don’t overstock, and restock SLOOOWLY :)

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :( When I converted my 55 gallon 3 years ago from freshwater to saltwater, same thing happened to me. I stocked too quickly, and when I added a Tang, it got ich, and within 2 weeks, all my fish were dead. I lost over $500 in fish. I went fallow for a while, then restocked VERY slowly. I also implemented a quarantine tank, which I would recommend. I haven’t lost a fish since. Don’t overstock, and restock SLOOOWLY :)
Yeah it was a traumatizing experience. Thankfully I did not have many expensive fish so I did not lose nearly close to $500. I am somewhat glad it happened, I have a new plan of action for my tank that I think is unique. I'm writing up my idea now so stay tuned.

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after the deaths, I have found a very interesting tank idea that I think is what I will try with this livestock reboot. While perusing YouTube this morning I came across a cool tank that was something I had never seen before.

Here is the link:

For those who do not want to watch, my idea is to have a predator tank with mostly soft corals. I love the movement of the soft corals and I feel like it will be an easier option for someone who is in college such as myself. My stocking ideas are as follows:

Fish:
Antennata Lionfish
Fu manchu Lionfish
Snowflake Eel (maybe a chainlink I have not quite decided)
Maroon clown pair?
-Looking to add maybe 1 or 2 more fish after that but I am not sure exactly what

Inverts:
urchins
conch
Serpent Starfish
Red and Blue leg hermit crabs
Turbo snails (large)
Bubble Tip Anem (In a couple months)

If anyone has any ideas/thoughts feel free to share

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to my LFS and bought a Snowflake Eel. Easily the most entertaining fish I have kept so far. He is in love with my massive cave that I have on the left side of my tank. I tried feeding him but he did not take the food which I expected to happen, going to try again in a few days when he is more comfortable in his environment.

IMG_0798 (2).JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back