First ever tank build (Waterbox 50.3 AIO Peninsula) Help Needed!

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am new to the hobby and would like your experience and support on the current status of my build. To note, as of right now I have only purchased the Waterbox 50.3 AIO Peninsula tank and stand combo that is currently on the way. I do however, have a ton of items sitting in my cart from various retailers and just want to be sure before I hit that "sweet check-out button". Finally, I don't need to have "top of line" for everything, I am fine spending a decent amount on key important items, but I am also willing the take a more budget approach on others items and gradually swap things out as I become more seasoned.

**Prices are in CDN since I am a Canadian "Eh" **
  • Tank: Waterbox 50.3 AIO + stand ($1,399.20)

• Return Pump: Going through a few build guides it seems like a lot of people have been selecting the Sicce Syncra 1.5 Pump - 357 GPH and I have also seen a few recommendations about getting the Sicce Syncra SDC 3.0 Wifi Controllable Pump. From what I understand, the return pump is like the heartbeat of my tank so open to spending a bit more for quality and durability.
    • Sicce Syncra 1.5 Pump - 357 GPH ($97.99)
    • Sicce Syncra SDC 3.0 Wifi Controllable Pump ($349.99)
  • Filtration: Since this is an AIO tank, I am planning to use what's given for now and maybe look at a skimmer down the road. I do plan on removing the sock for a filter cup/filter floss or sponge option as I do not really feel like doing excessive laundry every few days. Let me know if this is an okay approach for now.

• Power heads / Flow: This is one area that I am heavily confused on. Given that I have a peninsula tank, I know flow can be a bit problematic from what I have been reading. So far, I have seen a few people take the option of 2 Jebao SLW-10, or getting multiple Nero 3.0 or 5.0's. The Neros are crazy expensive and seem low in stock so wondering if there are some other options.

• Lighting: I haven't looked into this a whole lot, but looking for something that does the job and energy is efficient. I read that lighting is one place a lot of newbies overspend on.

• Heating: 1000W Titanium Heater Element ($80)

• Test Kit: API SALTWATER MASTER TEST KIT 550-Test Saltwater Aquarium Water Test Kit ($50)

• Sand: CaribSea Seafloor Special Grade Reef Sand Dry Aragonite - 40lb ($70)

• Live rock: Not my biggest concern I will find something later

I know these things take time to go through so thanks in advanced to anyone that replies!

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing that springs to mind is that you don' need a 1000w heater for that tank! :) I heat my 135 gallon tank with a 650w just fine :D

I'd go with a 350w and be done with it! Maybe two on separate controllers to have redundancy..

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head down and have a chat with the guys at Fragbox :) They can help you out and hook you up no doubt!

OP
OP
Imthatguybrandon

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing that springs to mind is that you don' need a 1000w heater for that tank! :) I heat my 135 gallon tank with a 650w just fine :D

I'd go with a 350w and be done with it! Maybe two on separate controllers to have redundancy..
Awesome, I was a bit confused on how high I needed to go, but that makes things a lot easier!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just on their site! I'll definitely make a trip down to the store!
Ive been there, they're good people in there! Always support your LFS!

Best of luck mate..

XyPP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Sicce Syncra 2.0 would be my choice. A Ehiem Jager 150W heater would be fine. You don't need the API master test kit. Just get a Nitrate test. Test 1x a week during the cycling process and once Nitrates are present you know the tank is cycled. Do a water change and begin to introduce livestock SLOWLY and patiently.

What are you going to do for RODI water?

OP
OP
Imthatguybrandon

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that info, that just helped my wallet even more lol! for RODI I was thinking of getting a filter for long term use! Short term maybe just grab some from my local shop or would it be better just tog et the filter and start that way?

OP
OP
Imthatguybrandon

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Sicce Syncra 2.0 would be my choice. A Ehiem Jager 150W heater would be fine. You don't need the API master test kit. Just get a Nitrate test. Test 1x a week during the cycling process and once Nitrates are present you know the tank is cycled. Do a water change and begin to introduce livestock SLOWLY and patiently.

What are you going to do for RODI water?
Thanks for that info, that just helped my wallet even more lol! For RODI I was thinking of getting a filter for long term use! Short term maybe just grab some from my local shop or would it be better just to get the filter and start that way? I found a Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis System that looks affordable!

Last edited:

XyPP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that info, that just helped my wallet even more lol! For RODI I was thinking of getting a filter for long term use! Short term maybe just grab some from my local shop or would it be better just to get the filter and start that way?
That's entirely up to you as a matter of cost, convenience, and if you have room to store things. On a 50Gal tank you're probably going to be changing 8-10 gal weekly. Plus you'll need some fresh RODI to top off evaporated water between water changes, guesstimate maybe 3-5gal a week. Really depends on how hot your room is and how fast water will evaporate out of the tank.

Not sure what kind of RODI kit you'll need. As it depends on your city water supply. If your city uses chloramines, it can make things more complicated and you'd need at least a 6 stage RODI with chloramine rated carbon blocks. If your home water pressure is lower than 55-60psi, you will probably need a booster pump on that RODI unit.

OP
OP
Imthatguybrandon

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's entirely up to you as a matter of cost, convenience, and if you have room to store things. On a 50Gal tank you're probably going to be changing 8-10 gal weekly. Plus you'll need some fresh RODI to top off evaporated water between water changes, guesstimate maybe 3-5gal a week. Really depends on how hot your room is and how fast water will evaporate out of the tank.

Not sure what kind of RODI kit you'll need. As it depends on your city water supply. If your city uses chloramines, it can make things more complicated and you'd need at least a 6 stage RODI with chloramine rated carbon blocks. If your home water pressure is lower than 55-60psi, you will probably need a booster pump on that RODI unit.
Well after checking I can definitely confirm that our water uses a combination of chlorination for primary disinfection followed by the use of chloramine for residual disinfection. So a 6 stage will be needed at a minimum. Outside of the weekly water change is there way to automate the small top ups in between?

XyPP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after checking I can definitely confirm that our water uses a combination of chlorination for primary disinfection followed by the use of chloramine for residual disinfection. So a 6 stage will be needed at a minimum. Outside of the weekly water change is there way to automate the small top ups in between?
Yes. A auto top off (ATO) and some sort of container to hold the RODI water. They sell dedicated ATO reservoirs and they are pricey for what they are. Some people just use a 5 gal plastic hedpack and drop the ATO pump in it. The most popular ATO, Tunze Osmolator 3155 comes with a pump that can fit through the mouth of the plastic jug.

OP
OP
Imthatguybrandon

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. A auto top off (ATO) and some sort of container to hold the RODI water. They sell dedicated ATO reservoirs and they are pricey for what they are. Some people just use a 5 gal plastic hedpack and drop the ATO pump in it. The most popular ATO, Tunze Osmolator 3155 comes with a pump that can fit through the mouth of the plastic jug.
Awesome, thanks for this!

508_nanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same tank.Return pump I’m using Sicce 1.5 and it moves some water all by itself.Also running a SLW-20 and SLW-10

Attachments

• IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Imthatguybrandon

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same tank.Return pump I’m using Sicce 1.5 and it moves some water all by itself.Also running a SLW-20 and SLW-10
How are you liking the tank so far? Glad to hear flow isn't that big of a problem! Also, dig the setup!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back