First fish after cycling tank

Hudsonfo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi;

I have just set up my new Red Sea reefer 525l; I’m not a complete newbie but it’s been over 10 years since I have had a marine tank.

I have used live sand and I’m planning on using Dr Tims with ammonia to cycle the tank.

I am just wondering about recommendations for a first fish once it’s cycled; I don’t really want to throw something in the tank that’s not in my long term plan and it seems that most of the fish I want are semi aggresive - my first thought was a yellow watchman goby but also thought something that will eat algae like a foxface would be a really good choice;

I’m just concerned if I reach the end of my cycle and haven’t quarantined anything then my cycle could kinda stall as there’s nothing feeding the bacteria - unless I keep dosing ammonia…

have u got any recommendations?

Also with regards to tomato clownfish; what are your experiences? I used to have some that were never aggresive but everybody I have spoken to recently seems to think that they are! Can u reckoned any other clownfish species that aren’t AS aggresive as tomato’s but not Percula/oscellaris - allards? Clarkii?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will help in planning: no cycle has ever starved out that was set in and proved in motion. They self feed as contaminations get in from the home surrounding, via the non sealed open top on any tank

and if anyone reading can post me one single clear case example of that happening in a reef tank cycle, a starve back to unable, I’ll PayPal you a thirty dollar bounty if the example is clear and not api lacking a tan conversion post off google page 132 lol

the notion of starved cycles unable to establish or continue without our feeding is a concept completely made up in online forums. I know three folks from the chem forum who believe the rumor but article snippets from 1968 not from a reef tank aren’t going to cut the bounty, we need a proof thread let’s see one.

you can count on the cycle remaining in place equally strong whether you feed or not once it’s established. Take as long as you like to add feed and or fish every day you wait the cycle gets better, not weaker.

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi;

I have just set up my new Red Sea reefer 525l; I’m not a complete newbie but it’s been over 10 years since I have had a marine tank.

I have used live sand and I’m planning on using Dr Tims with ammonia to cycle the tank.

I am just wondering about recommendations for a first fish once it’s cycled; I don’t really want to throw something in the tank that’s not in my long term plan and it seems that most of the fish I want are semi aggresive - my first thought was a yellow watchman goby but also thought something that will eat algae like a foxface would be a really good choice;

I’m just concerned if I reach the end of my cycle and haven’t quarantined anything then my cycle could kinda stall as there’s nothing feeding the bacteria - unless I keep dosing ammonia…

have u got any recommendations?

Also with regards to tomato clownfish; what are your experiences? I used to have some that were never aggresive but everybody I have spoken to recently seems to think that they are! Can u reckoned any other clownfish species that aren’t AS aggresive as tomato’s but not Percula/oscellaris - allards? Clarkii?

About the cycle, you could just ghost feed or add a few drops of ammonia per day and do a series of water changes to reduce nitrates before adding in the fish. Tomatoes are generally regarded as one of the more aggressive species of clowns, however each fish has variations and while some are terrible, some may also be model citizens, similarly to dotty backs and dwarf angels. You could try clarkii’s. They’re one of my favorite variations. Also I think if you’re hung up on quarantine and you have money to burn, save some headache with the first fish and buy from a prequarantined vendor like dr reefs. You can quarantine your first fish and it is best practice to do so, but honestly it just sucks and zaps the interest from the hobby.

OP
OP
Hudsonfo

Hudsonfo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the cycle, you could just ghost feed or add a few drops of ammonia per day and do a series of water changes to reduce nitrates before adding in the fish. Tomatoes are generally regarded as one of the more aggressive species of clowns, however each fish has variations and while some are terrible, some may also be model citizens, similarly to dotty backs and dwarf angels. You could try clarkii’s. They’re one of my favorite variations. Also I think if you’re hung up on quarantine and you have money to burn, save some headache with the first fish and buy from a prequarantined vendor like dr reefs. You can quarantine your first fish and it is best practice to do so, but honestly it just sucks and zaps the interest from the hobby.
Thank you - I think I’m going to go with Clarkii’s; I do have a guy here in Brisbane that will quarantine the fish for me.

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - I think I’m going to go with Clarkii’s; I do have a guy here in Brisbane that will quarantine the fish for me.
Heads up tho, clarkiis are in the same boat as tomatoes, where it’s a hit or miss on aggression, I just love the looks. I’m pretty sure anything other than occys, percs, and maybe the skunks can be quite territorial.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh Water Mollies:
- They don't need to be quarantined as freshwater disease don't come over to saltwater.
- They are great utility fish as they love algae
- Not too bad looking as they come in many shapes and sizes

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back