First fish behavior worries

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first fish today (royal gramma) and it's been in the same spot all night at the bottom of the tank tucked next to a rock. I drip acclimated the fish. Is it normal for a fish to act this way in a new environment? Thanks

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, they are pretty skittish fish. Most likely just a bit stressed and figuring things out. It will become more active as it acclimates to its new surroundings.
Small, timid fish like this will hide for several days sometimes before coming out, totally normal behavior.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, fish on the reef get ques from each other. When there is no one out swimming on the reef, everyone else knows to hide. So for you with just the 1 already shy fish, it may take it a long while to come out.

The more fish you have, the more active they are.

bruce53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first fish today (royal gramma) and it's been in the same spot all night at the bottom of the tank tucked next to a rock. I drip acclimated the fish. Is it normal for a fish to act this way in a new environment? Thanks
Yes as they like to hide. If you give it a little cave it will be a happy fish. Mine did that as well till she had her cave.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good food (no pellets or flakes) will usually coax them out

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many fish are quite timid when you get them. some of them are just hiders to begin with. royal grammas are one of those that like to hang out in cozy spots. after a week or so, you will notice that they start coming out a bit more, but will still have some tendancies to like their little spots.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back