First fish in a 130g tank (cycle)???

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my day (when I first had a marine tank) we cycled a tank by adding a crap load of damsels, and we would just see what lived. This process killed a lot of cheap fish and left aggressive fish in the tank (I remember my father trying to whack damsels with a net because they were mean to new fish, and we couldn't catch them). Now we can cycle a tank through bacteria or dead shrimp from the market. I would like some recommendations for first fish. I'm thinking of 4x blue/green reef chromis after the initial cycle, but would like other opinions. From what I understand a school of chromis will kill each other if there's less than 12, but they will not go after new additions.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the fritz product with dry rock. I QT’d 4 tangs, and I was off and running. My tank is a 150. As long as it’s not an unreasonably difficult fish you can start with most any these days. I am very familiar with the old damsel way

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the fritz product with dry rock. I QT’d 4 tangs, and I was off and running. My tank is a 150. As long as it’s not an unreasonably difficult fish you can start with most any these days. I am very familiar with the old damsel way
Wow! 4 tangs to start in only a 150g? You must have been doing this for a while. I am not the Tang police at all, but that seems like a challenge. In my aquarium 20 years ago I successfully kept a yellow, Hippo and Clown Tang without any issues in a 75g tank (please keep in mind no one told me it was cruel to keep a clown tank in that small of a setup at the time). For this tank I don't feel comfortable starting with Tangs, but I would love any info you can give me on how you introduced them and how you kept them fed without blowing out your nutrients. What tangs did you have by the way?

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had fish since I was 8. I’m 46 now. Wasn’t difficult. The fritz product is good. There was no ammonia or nitrite spike. Fed once a day with nori. I chose tangs for algae control purposes. I have had none bc they knock it out before it gets started. I did QT them all together so they were fat and eating well when I put them in. They all are doing very well. I will say the biggest was
Only 3” long. They are a PB, orange shoulder, purple and kole. You can see a few in this pic if you look hard
4BCA8B5B-5E8F-4D5D-80F5-7F0FD14F47B3.jpeg

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had fish since I was 8. I’m 46 now. Wasn’t difficult. The fritz product is good. There was no ammonia or nitrite spike. Fed once a day with nori. I chose tangs for algae control purposes. I have had none bc they knock it out before it gets started. I did QT them all together so they were fat and eating well when I put them in. They all are doing very well. I will say the biggest was
Only 3” long. They are a PB, orange shoulder, purple and kole. You can see a few in this pic if you look hard
4BCA8B5B-5E8F-4D5D-80F5-7F0FD14F47B3.jpeg
God dang that is a beautiful tank (is that a clam on the right?) You are getting great water clarity, and it looks like great coral growth too. I can't wait until I have a tank as developed as that. Seems like your husbandry is on par. I do plan on adding more fish than I see you have. What is your maintenance schedule, and any advice on what mine should be?

Also it looks like your rock-work only takes up 1/4 of your space. Was that intentional? If you were to do it again would you go higher? 1/2 - 3/4?

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Thanks. I test a lot and watch it. There is also a 20 gallon refugium at the bottom which has helped with algae.

rock work is personal preference. I just like the extra swimming room.

good luck!

Back