First fish/when to add first coral

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting my first saltwater setup and having a blast! My tank is a 20 gallon high and it’s been running for 2 weeks. I started with fully cured live rock that never dried out. Current residents that I have added are 2 trochus snails and 5 cerith snails. I also have some Gracilara hayi in there.

My first fish should be arriving at my LFS sometime in the next couple of weeks at which point I’ll have it in quarantine for 4-6 weeks. I have that tank set up too with a piece of live rock from my tank to seed the filter sponge. I’ll remove the rock before the fish goes in there.

At this point, I’m starting to panic and think that maybe I should put a cheap frag of coral in my display tank just to make sure that everything beyond what I can test for with my kit is in good working order before I add a fish. I’d definitely rather lose a coral than a fish. Is this a terrible idea?

As for the fish, I can either pick it up at the store when it arrives or I can let the store keep it for a week or so. If the store keeps it then I imagine I could reserve a fish but I probably couldn’t look at the five of my species that they’re getting in and pick out which individual I want and have them keep track of that. The fish would be coming from a reputable company (ORA or Biota). I know that there is a chance it might die from travel stress and if I pick it up immediately then I’ve paid and I have no fish. On the other hand, if I left it at the store it would have to travel, acclimate, and then acclimate again to my tank over a pretty short period of time, which seems stressful for the fish. What would you do?

Reaper603

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added fish first and waited a year before introducing corals. Water parameters are a little more forgiving with livestock. The way I looked at it was I will add everything I want figure out the bio load so I know how much water to change per week to keep parameters perfect so that way when you add corals your tank your corals will stay happy.

texdoc77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies and LPS are pretty forgiving, I would not hesitate to add those along with fish giving enough time for the bacterial bioload to catch up.

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your water parameters are stable, and you add items such as softies and some LPS slowly, you should be okay.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back