First impression of the Aquatic Life T5 LED Hybrid light

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this light is sold at a low price point, however the length of the power cables is simply unsat. If you're mounting the lights on a peninsula like I am the cord barely makes it past the length of the 36" light. For some reason the cords must come out of opposite ends of the light. This wouldn't be a huge deal but the length forces me to run an extension cord up to the light and create a junction.

It's sleek and thin but also it put together poorly. The weight from the T5 wires was causing the reflectors to fall out. I know, I know, its an inexpensive light but I feel like this could have easily been avoided.

The Ecotech Radions I have fit perfectly into the brackets so no complaints there.

Overall impression: If you're budgeting this light is well worth it but don't expect the normal quality.

If anyone has any questions or needs a measurement I would be more than happy to help.

Aquatic Life.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go as far as to say they are inexpensive. $200 - 300 isn't just a drop in the hat, build quality should still be as good as they can get it.

Is there no way to reverse the light that has the cord on the other end?

MapleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a peninsula, and will have to keep the wiring issues in mind. I’m curious to see how others react to this fixture.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go as far as to say they are inexpensive. $200 - 300 isn't just a drop in the hat, build quality should still be as good as they can get it.

Is there no way to reverse the light that has the cord on the other end?

No way, the brackets are designed to have them in reverse order. If you could mount them in the same direction one of the lights would be further from the middle but not by much.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm wondering why can't your mount the cords one side.

MapleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this somewhat defeats the purpose. But is it possible to re-wire the fixture. So that the cord is longer and maybe wired in Parallel. So that u only have one cord exiting the fixture? Do the ballasts allow wire replacement?

Just a thought, I kinda expected this issue to arise from the photos, especially in my peninsula build

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure we can modify it but this should of been thought of from the manufacturer. From the pictures it's not hard to do.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, the brackets are designed to have them in reverse order. If you could mount them in the same direction one of the lights would be further from the middle but not by much.

To me this is a MAJOR mistake on build quality. If you have to have 2 wires coming down on opposite ends makes no sense. This would look like crap on any tank, wall or peninsula.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm wondering why can't your mount the cords one side.

I know this somewhat defeats the purpose. But is it possible to re-wire the fixture. So that the cord is longer and maybe wired in Parallel. So that u only have one cord exiting the fixture? Do the ballasts allow wire replacement?

Just a thought, I kinda expected this issue to arise from the photos, especially in my peninsula build

@Fudsey

What kills me is @AquaticLifeProducts could have just made the bracket at the end accommodate the cord so it could be mounted either way. It might be worthwhile for me to just drill a spot for the cord. I don't want the fixture to be exposed to salt air where I've drilled though.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two lights are identical just attach via bracket. I'm sure we can modify the bracket without opening the light. A little dremel and it's fixed.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that no one else has mentioned this...

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably didn't realize this and with a small test sample of users not everyone has a peninsula tank. It probably skip the process. Looks like the bracket needs cutout so the cord can be place there.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that no one else has mentioned this...

Here skeptic (pic)

Probably didn't realize this and with a small test sample of users not everyone has a peninsula tank. It probably skip the process. Looks like the bracket needs cutout so the cord can be place there.

This doesn't just apply to peninsula tanks. Cords will need to come from both sides of the light. Length is an issue, the cords are only six feet.

Also, the mounting kit used in the picture is from my Ecotech's. The hanging kit only comes with a 38" cable.

IMG_5300.JPG

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @scuzy that you could probably modify the bracket instead of the light. Makes more sense to keep the light intact to keep salt air out of it

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... I wasn’t a skeptic of whether it was true or not. Just surprised brs or whatever didn’t mention it. Clearly you’re upset about it so I’m sorry to hear that. I wish you the best buddy.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I was seriously considering this fixture. I'm gonna wait and see if someone makes this bracket modification for peninsula tanks.....

Like @Fudsey and @scuzy (i'm pretty sure you guys are named in a nursery rhyme) said you could modify it but who wants to drill into something new and metal that's going to sit over their saltwater tank. You could take steps to resist corrosion but this appears to be anodized. By the way @XNavyDiver I'm a retired AW Rescue Swimmer

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fudsey

What kills me is @AquaticLifeProducts could have just made the bracket at the end accommodate the cord so it could be mounted either way. It might be worthwhile for me to just drill a spot for the cord. I don't want the fixture to be exposed to salt air where I've drilled though.

While possible to do what you mention, there are a few concerns. Both power cords on one side makes a larger set of wires running down the same side of the fixture. We wanted to keep it a little more symmetrical.

Allowing the dual lamps housing to be flipped would place the ballast channel toward the center of the fixture and a set of lamps toward the edge of the light, possible but not what we figure people would want.

The extrusion of the fixture only has a certain set of points that allow screws to be anchored to the plate. The end plates would have a lot more holes in it to make it more universal.

We are open to suggestions and will try to use them to improve the product.

Last edited:

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dremel and touch it up with some black car touch up paint. If I had to modify mine. It'll be here Monday. Realize I can't use it until the 24" wide brackets comes out and my mitras is 7.95" wide and the current config only allows 7.25" in between

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back