First impression of the Aquatic Life T5 LED Hybrid light

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Roggio, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Roggio

Roggio Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I understand this light is sold at a low price point, however the length of the power cables is simply unsat. If you're mounting the lights on a peninsula like I am the cord barely makes it past the length of the 36" light. For some reason the cords must come out of opposite ends of the light. This wouldn't be a huge deal but the length forces me to run an extension cord up to the light and create a junction.

It's sleek and thin but also it put together poorly. The weight from the T5 wires was causing the reflectors to fall out. I know, I know, its an inexpensive light but I feel like this could have easily been avoided.

The Ecotech Radions I have fit perfectly into the brackets so no complaints there.

Overall impression: If you're budgeting this light is well worth it but don't expect the normal quality.

If anyone has any questions or needs a measurement I would be more than happy to help.

Aquatic Life.jpg

LDH, BigJohnny and DSC reef like this.

2. Fudsey

Fudsey Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I wouldn't go as far as to say they are inexpensive. $200 - 300 isn't just a drop in the hat, build quality should still be as good as they can get it.

Is there no way to reverse the light that has the cord on the other end?

CrazyCatGal and Roggio like this.
  3. MapleReef

MapleReef Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I too have a peninsula, and will have to keep the wiring issues in mind. I’m curious to see how others react to this fixture.

Roggio likes this.
  4. Roggio

No way, the brackets are designed to have them in reverse order. If you could mount them in the same direction one of the lights would be further from the middle but not by much.

5. scuzy

scuzy Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm wondering why can't your mount the cords one side.

6. MapleReef

MapleReef Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I know this somewhat defeats the purpose. But is it possible to re-wire the fixture. So that the cord is longer and maybe wired in Parallel. So that u only have one cord exiting the fixture? Do the ballasts allow wire replacement?

Just a thought, I kinda expected this issue to arise from the photos, especially in my peninsula build

7. scuzy

scuzy Well-Known Member

I'm sure we can modify it but this should of been thought of from the manufacturer. From the pictures it's not hard to do.

Roggio likes this.
  8. Fudsey

To me this is a MAJOR mistake on build quality. If you have to have 2 wires coming down on opposite ends makes no sense. This would look like crap on any tank, wall or peninsula.

9. Roggio

@Fudsey

What kills me is @AquaticLifeProducts could have just made the bracket at the end accommodate the cord so it could be mounted either way. It might be worthwhile for me to just drill a spot for the cord. I don't want the fixture to be exposed to salt air where I've drilled though.

Fudsey likes this.
  10. scuzy

scuzy Well-Known Member

The two lights are identical just attach via bracket. I'm sure we can modify the bracket without opening the light. A little dremel and it's fixed.

11. Be102

Be102 Well-Known Member

Interesting that no one else has mentioned this...

12. scuzy

scuzy Well-Known Member

Probably didn't realize this and with a small test sample of users not everyone has a peninsula tank. It probably skip the process. Looks like the bracket needs cutout so the cord can be place there.

13. Roggio

Here skeptic (pic)

This doesn't just apply to peninsula tanks. Cords will need to come from both sides of the light. Length is an issue, the cords are only six feet.

Also, the mounting kit used in the picture is from my Ecotech's. The hanging kit only comes with a 38" cable.

IMG_5300.JPG

14. Fudsey

I agree with @scuzy that you could probably modify the bracket instead of the light. Makes more sense to keep the light intact to keep salt air out of it

jeremy likes this.
  15. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Man, I was seriously considering this fixture. I'm gonna wait and see if someone makes this bracket modification for peninsula tanks.....

DSC reef and Roggio like this.
  16. Be102

Be102 Well-Known Member

Lol... I wasn’t a skeptic of whether it was true or not. Just surprised brs or whatever didn’t mention it. Clearly you’re upset about it so I’m sorry to hear that. I wish you the best buddy.

Roggio likes this.
  17. Roggio

Like @Fudsey and @scuzy (i'm pretty sure you guys are named in a nursery rhyme) said you could modify it but who wants to drill into something new and metal that's going to sit over their saltwater tank. You could take steps to resist corrosion but this appears to be anodized. By the way @XNavyDiver I'm a retired AW Rescue Swimmer

DSC reef, Tahoe61 and XNavyDiver like this.
  18. AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts Aquarium Equipment Company R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids 2016

While possible to do what you mention, there are a few concerns. Both power cords on one side makes a larger set of wires running down the same side of the fixture. We wanted to keep it a little more symmetrical.

Allowing the dual lamps housing to be flipped would place the ballast channel toward the center of the fixture and a set of lamps toward the edge of the light, possible but not what we figure people would want.

The extrusion of the fixture only has a certain set of points that allow screws to be anchored to the plate. The end plates would have a lot more holes in it to make it more universal.

We are open to suggestions and will try to use them to improve the product.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  19. scuzy

scuzy Well-Known Member

I would dremel and touch it up with some black car touch up paint. If I had to modify mine. It'll be here Monday. Realize I can't use it until the 24" wide brackets comes out and my mitras is 7.95" wide and the current config only allows 7.25" in between

20. Clayton Jessup

Clayton Jessup Well-Known Member

Here is what I did to makes the cords appear as one [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I used the Ecotech style cable mounts to run the cables to the back center;) I am please with how it turned out ..

LDH, sil40sx, PopaSmurph and 9 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted