First large tank build! 240g 8'x2'x2' acrylic mixed reef w/ DIY stand and canopy

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93275373-9DF5-44FF-AA11-10F048DF30DB.jpeg

Almost there just need to set up the standpipes!
Pretty messy but I took my time and tried to do it right. First time ever plumbing and working with PVC so that’s my excuse haha

idiot alert #3 I should probably put a 90 on that emergency drain outlet ;)

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is awesome!!

So about your canopy, I had the same exact vision for mine, but ended up scraping the idea. I dont know if the opening was to small or if I am to big, but to get in and out of it was a MAJOR pain in the butt. Honestly I think I used the exact same chains as well, lol!

Mike

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome!!

So about your canopy, I had the same exact vision for mine, but ended up scraping the idea. I dont know if the opening was to small or if I am to big, but to get in and out of it was a MAJOR pain in the butt. Honestly I think I used the exact same chains as well, lol!

Mike

Do you mean reaching the tank? I only went with this style of canopy because I have the Orphek Atlantiks in there which need to be mounted pretty high. Otherwise I likely would have made a canopy that sits on the tank or something. I have the lights about 18-20" off the water and about 12" from the top of the tank to the bottom of the canopy. Just enough room for me to wiggle my skinny butt in there. Also just enough room for me to bang my forehead on it. Every. Time. !!

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I could not get in the tank to do any maintenance at all, my tank is 24 inches tall but 37.5 inches front to back.. And I guess you could say I am not a skinny fella.. I do think the canopy looks best floating above the tank, I would just need high ceilings is all I guess. Good luck with your build!

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAPPY NEW YEAR,...hinge the front guys ;)
I thought about that as well, however I have a ceiling fan that is in the way... Now I was all about taking it out till the wifey looked at me like I had lost my mind. I could not really argue with her, she let me buy the 8ft tank instead of the 6 ft so I had to compromise!!!!

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that as well, however I have a ceiling fan that is in the way... Now I was all about taking it out till the wifey looked at me like I had lost my mind. I could not really argue with her, she let me buy the 8ft tank instead of the 6 ft so I had to compromise!!!!

Do you have a build thread? would love to see your 8 footer for inspiration!

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do!

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DCF2482C-49DC-4B9E-96D7-F93E94FDFAE9.jpeg

Took a stab at the aquascape today. Everything is just held together with 1/4 acrylic rods. I like the modularity of the islands and think it’ll allow lots of room for the corals to grow in. I can move them around and turn them to help bring the look together.

once the islands are in the tank I’ll add a few more rocks near the sandbed to help fill it in.

live rock from my old tank will live in the sump and I’ll get the Chaeto rolling after a few more fish are added.

I used to avoid QT and only buy from TSM but they never have anything in stock and on a big tank like this it’ll be far more cost effective to QT myself... so now I have to go down that road. Lots of reading to do.

I have some leftover acrylic so I think I’m going to make an acclimation box as well. I’m worried about my two existing tangs causing issues for any new tangs I order. I feel a good tang gang in a tank like this is important!

Current livestock:
2 firefish
Oscellaris clown
Hippo tang
Tomini tang (the jerk)

desired additions:
Sailfin or desjardini tang
Yellow tang
Atlantic blue tang
Possibly a small clown harem but will wait until I feel comfortable about keeping a magnifica alive ;)
Melanurus wrasse
Lots of small fish that might shoal... any ideas?

not a fan of huge fish (like big tangs) in tanks even this size. It doesn’t look natural to me. I’d love to add a shoal of smaller fish similar to a clown harem. Kind of like neon tetras in a planted tank. No Chromis since they don’t last and avoiding anthias now until I can be more disciplined with feeding. Any suggestions ?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
man i thought you would have the fish in there by now:Dscape is cool ,i like,maybe a thin bridge between a couple of the islands;)
like your list desjardini ,prettier than verillium,i am a purple fan ,but within means black ,yellow last:)
atlantic is beautiful..but tomi going to tear up, my .02 your 2k:p:)

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F14B8835-9839-4B45-ACA3-30D860EC58DD.jpeg

085D1F1B-35D8-40EB-8652-13ECD2CD844E.jpeg
B4FCE3CA-7E4F-4136-BF06-8C1B38510F2F.jpeg
096896B9-7E6D-4E4A-899A-64D280127C73.jpeg

Made some progress. Canopy built and currently prepping and painting. Stand is complete for now. Going to get the tank on and worry about skinning it at a later date. Project is moving slower than expected and I’m getting antsy! I want to get the tank on the stand!
Your dad is really talented. I built mine and it was a real struggle.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have the one big overflow with a bean animal configuration.

Your dad is really talented. I built mine and it was a real struggle.
I will forward and he will be happy to see that :) he really is. I recently bought this condo and he’s building a bunch of my furniture for me. It’s awesome, I buy the high end wood for him, he gets to play wit it, I end up with great furniture that fits my style! He made two of these chairs and the guitar cabinet. Guitar cabinet is all solid walnut! Next project is a river coffee table. I have my eyes on a very figured slab of boxelder just need to pony up.
AD4376EA-C22A-4766-A0AB-68959148015B.jpeg

My sister made the pillows too! Everyone else in my family is artistically gifted, I’m the type A one ;)

Back