FIRST LOOK: Algae Scrubber-Friendly Sump from IceCap!

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of an algae-scrubber friendly sump design that IceCap is developing.

What do you think?

We have 3 different sized algae scrubbers.

Should we make different sized sumps to accommodate each of them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of an algae-scrubber friendly sump design that IceCap is developing.

What do you think?

Hi! Looks great! I have a question though....I have a Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL. So I already have a sump....I was looking at your medium scrubber rated up to 250 gallons. Do you think the height will be ok when I need to open the lid to remove algae etc? If not can the hinges on the lid be removed so the lid can just st on top? I was concerned about the height with the lid open. Thanks!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi! Looks great! I have a question though....I have a Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL. So I already have a sump....I was looking at your medium scrubber rated up to 250 gallons. Do you think the height will be ok when I need to open the lid to remove algae etc? If not can the hinges on the lid be removed so the lid can just st on top? I was concerned about the height with the lid open. Thanks!
Thank you for your question. I touched base with my colleague who had a unit to check and he replied back with the following: "If needed, you can likely break the door off but the hinges are glued. You could also just leave the lid open when installing. The door opens about 4.25" tall." Hope that helps!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score

What do you think?

@[email protected] - the algae scrubber appears to be a great product and it seem like it is a good idea to have scrubber-friendly sumps. Instead of having having multiple sizes of Icecap sumps (or maybe in addition to), is it possible to have adapter plates to mix and match. Additional would it also be possible to offer an adapter plate for other sumps like the Octo reef sump?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
@[email protected] - the algae scrubber appears to be a great product and it seem like it is a good idea to have scrubber-friendly sumps. Instead of having having multiple sizes of Icecap sumps (or maybe in addition to), is it possible to have adapter plates to mix and match. Additional would it also be possible to offer an adapter plate for other sumps like the Octo reef sump?
I think that is a clever idea! Let me send it up the ladder and see what kind of feedback I get. I think the approach you've suggested sounds like a wise move.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Evidently, this is something CoralVue has looked into before. The biggest challenge, of course, is preventing the scrubber from falling into the sump. Since there are so many different sump configurations, the onus of creating a solution that works for the masses could be challenging. However, it is a good idea. We like a challenge so this may be something we consider revisiting. Thank you once again for presenting us with the idea!

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Evidently, this is something CoralVue has looked into before. The biggest challenge, of course, is preventing the scrubber from falling into the sump. Since there are so many different sump configurations, the onus of creating a solution that works for the masses could be challenging. However, it is a good idea. We like a challenge so this may be something we consider revisiting. Thank you once again for presenting us with the idea!
Very nice. I would love to see someone build a sump with a removable drain intake plate for those of us who don’t use socks, but opt for an in sump roller mat. This would appeal to the masses. All of them.
I had to cut up an new esopp sump to accommodate a clarisea roller.
Just saying.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Very nice. I would love to see someone build a sump with a removable drain intake plate for those of us who don’t use socks, but opt for an in sump roller mat. This would appeal to the masses. All of them.
I had to cut up an new esopp sump to accommodate a clarisea roller.
Just saying.
Interesting comment! Do you have pictures of your sump mod that you’d be willing to share? Does the drop in Klir filter roller come close to meeting the need your describing?

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Interesting comment! Do you have pictures of your sump mod that you’d be willing to share? Does the drop in Klir filter roller come close to meeting the need your describing?
Hi PR,
The Klir actually drops in the sock hole. Great idea, but the motor issues (well known) caused me to send it back. I then bought the clarisea 5000. Very strong motor, no problems 4 months running.
The modification to the sump was a pain, but well worth it. Here is a pic, but I’ll post clearer pics tomorrow.

4D47A483-2DEC-4EEA-983B-A8A867FA64C9.jpeg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi PR,
The Klir actually drops in the sock hole. Great idea, but the motor issues (well known) caused me to send it back. I then bought the clarisea 5000. Very strong motor, no problems 4 months running.
The modification to the sump was a pain, but well worth it. Here is a pic, but I’ll post clearer pics tomorrow.
Nice work on shoe-horning the clarisea into your sump! I am familiar with the motor issue on the original Klir, but they have upgraded the motors significantly so I am not sure that is still an issue.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi PR,

4D47A483-2DEC-4EEA-983B-A8A867FA64C9.jpeg
Nice work on shoe-horning the clarisea into your sump! I am familiar with the motor issue on the original Klir, but they have upgraded the motors significantly so I am not sure that is still an issue.
We upgraded the motors on the Di-7 based on customer feedback, although if anyone reading this is having an issue with their Klir motor on either size Klir, hit us up at [email protected] and we'll take care of you.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score

What do you think?

Hello
I have a bashsea 48” signature series sump. Will your algae scrubber be able to hook up with it or will I need another platform for it to sit on? I wouldn’t want for it to fall in the sump. Thanks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello
I have a bashsea 48” signature series sump. Will your algae scrubber be able to hook up with it or will I need another platform for it to sit on? I wouldn’t want for it to fall in the sump. Thanks
Great question! You have a beautiful sump! I expect that @[email protected] will jump in tomorrow with additional feedback, but from what I have seen most people have made an adapter plate or added rails to support the IceCap algae scrubber. You may also want to look at the Reef Octopus Light Reactor which can go into your sump.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Great question! You have a beautiful sump! I expect that @[email protected] will jump in tomorrow with additional feedback, but from what I have seen most people have made an adapter plate or added rails to support the IceCap algae scrubber. You may also want to look at the Reef Octopus Light Reactor which can go into your sump.
Ok thanks. The reef octopus light reactor as alternative to the turf scrubber?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello
The medium size measures 16 x 10 x 12in (LxWxH) and is rated for aquariums up to 225 gallons. The large measures 24 x 12 x 12in. I'm not what other equipment is running in your sump and how they are positioned, but it's probably safe to say you would need to devise sump sort of platform to keep it running safely above it.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok thanks. The reef octopus light reactor as alternative to the turf scrubber?
Yes, turf scrubbers and algae reactors are not one and the same and people have their preferences, but if you find that you are not comfortable with a scrubber above your sump (or don't have room) then an algae reactor is a functionally comparable alternative.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, turf scrubbers and algae reactors are not one and the same and people have their preferences, but if you find that you are not comfortable with a scrubber above your sump (or don't have room) then an algae reactor is a functionally comparable alternative.
Oh ok. Thanks. My sump won’t be under my tank. It’s going to be in another room. I could build something for it to hook onto or sit on if need be

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
The medium size measures 16 x 10 x 12in (LxWxH) and is rated for aquariums up to 225 gallons. The large measures 24 x 12 x 12in. I'm not what other equipment is running in your sump and how they are positioned, but it's probably safe to say you would need to devise sump sort of platform to keep it running safely above it.
Ok thanks. Would you have the tank water run through it at the beginning of the sump or at the end before going back to the tank?

AZMSGT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’ll take one designed to replace the Red Sea 625xxl sump. 36” L x 20“ D x 22” W EASY removal of the Scrubber, built in carbon/gfo reactor. No built in ATO. Also add a roller filter System to it. Able to handle 1500gph Flow from in to return section. Please and thank you.

I want a better, easier system than what I have now. See below.

9B6A6E96-813B-41B0-8637-F4D2B0D03562.jpeg

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
I’ll take one designed to replace the Red Sea 625xxl sump. 36” L x 20“ D x 22” W EASY removal of the Scrubber, built in carbon/gfo reactor. No built in ATO. Also add a roller filter System to it. Able to handle 1500gph Flow from in to return section. Please and thank you.

I want a better, easier system than what I have now. See below.

9B6A6E96-813B-41B0-8637-F4D2B0D03562.jpeg
Thank you for the feedback! And I must say, as far as sumps go, it looks to me like you've made yours about as user-friendly as you can!

Which tank do you think is more functional for a family? (click to see photos)

• A. Fireplace Tank

Votes: 62 23.5%
  • B. Stair Tank

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • C. Bed Tank

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • D. Table Tank

Votes: 29 11.0%
  • E. Cabinet Tank

Votes: 148 56.1%

Online statistics

Members online