FIRST LOOK: Algae Scrubber-Friendly Sump from IceCap!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Would you have the tank water run through it at the beginning of the sump or at the end before going back to the tank?
The good news is either works. At the beginning there will be more nutrient-rich water since it hasn't gone through all of the stages of filtration you have going on in your sump, but it's going to perform for you either way.

nly04

View Badges
Reaction score
I just saw this IceCap Turf Scrubber on my email from CoralVue aquarium product and very interest in getting a 60W model for my 150gal DT tank. I seen some other nice scrubber on the market and want to give them a try, too. I am still debate which one I should get. Is there any discount or promotion price for this new product (IceCap 60w Turf Scrubber Medium SKU: IC-AGS-200) that can help to make my decision easier? lol

915MANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of an algae-scrubber friendly sump design that IceCap is developing.

What do you think?

We have 3 different sized algae scrubbers.

Should we make different sized sumps to accommodate each of them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Jeff! I like the design overall. But Im looking at the connections and I think it could be improved. The Inlet should be closer to the return pump. Or hard plumbing should be included. Really I would move it to the opposite side. I do like the Ball Valve so you can adjust the flow, gate valve would be sweet too.

I also noticed the it has some pvc on side of the dosing lines. Are those optional hook up points? Id like to see the bottom of the scrubber and the screen if possible.

It looks like a quality sump and scrubber! Especially if you have a nano. You dont see many nanos with a full size ATS!

Im liking the FUGE section too!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok thanks
You're welcome!

I just saw this IceCap Turf Scrubber on my email from CoralVue aquarium product and very interest in getting a 60W model for my 150gal DT tank. I seen some other nice scrubber on the market and want to give them a try, too. I am still debate which one I should get. Is there any discount or promotion price for this new product (IceCap 60w Turf Scrubber Medium SKU: IC-AGS-200) that can help to make my decision easier? lol
We do not sell direct to consumer (except for things like plumbing and parts), but Black Friday is just around the corner! Maybe your favorite aquarium store will have something going on... ;)

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of an algae-scrubber friendly sump design that IceCap is developing.

What do you think?

We have 3 different sized algae scrubbers.

Should we make different sized sumps to accommodate each of them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Very cool designs, Jeff!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm looking to get an algae turf scrubber soon and liking yours but the only thing I would like to see changed is the spray bar. Instead of holes that will eventually get clogged I'd like if it was slotted. Any plans on doing this in the future? If so I will definitely consider this scrubber.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm looking to get an algae turf scrubber soon and liking yours but the only thing I would like to see changed is the spray bar. Instead of holes that will eventually get clogged I'd like if it was slotted. Any plans on doing this in the future? If so I will definitely consider this scrubber.
I can't confirm as of this moment, but this is something we are actively discussing. Early adopters have been very forthcoming with their feedback and have provided us with helpful photos of improvements they've made. We are considering it all, I assure you. We are very appreciative of the R2R community for helping us to create the best possible products (while keeping prices reasonable for the Average Joe).

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi! Looks great! I have a question though....I have a Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL. So I already have a sump....I was looking at your medium scrubber rated up to 250 gallons. Do you think the height will be ok when I need to open the lid to remove algae etc? If not can the hinges on the lid be removed so the lid can just st on top? I was concerned about the height with the lid open. Thanks!
Sorry this is late, but it will work but tight!

20200215_191239.jpg

GermanJosh

View Badges
Reaction score
I can't confirm as of this moment, but this is something we are actively discussing. Early adopters have been very forthcoming with their feedback and have provided us with helpful photos of improvements they've made. We are considering it all, I assure you. We are very appreciative of the R2R community for helping us to create the best possible products (while keeping prices reasonable for the Average Joe).
Sorry this is late, but it will work but tight!

20200215_191239.jpg
this Is my current sump setup

Sump setup.png

I have a V3 625 sump. The Return runs up to the Display / breaks off to the manifold (Vectra L2 Pump)
the manifold runs through 2 reactors and a UV. the pipe off the UV exit is 1 inch standard

I plan on removing the nitrate reactor, and placing a scrubber on top (custom stand or lid setup platform, I dont know yet)

The medium scrubber inlet is 16MM metric, how can I make this work with my 1inch standard PVC coming off the UV exit?

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
this Is my current sump setup

Sump setup.png

I have a V3 625 sump. The Return runs up to the Display / breaks off to the manifold (Vectra L2 Pump)
the manifold runs through 2 reactors and a UV. the pipe off the UV exit is 1 inch standard

I plan on removing the nitrate reactor, and placing a scrubber on top (custom stand or lid setup platform, I dont know yet)

The medium scrubber inlet is 16MM metric, how can I make this work with my 1inch standard PVC coming off the UV exit?

If your talking about the medium icecap, I just used straight 1 inch pvc no issues. Because It is over my sump I didn't even worry about glueing anything in case I want or need to change anything.

On another note, how do you like your roller filter. Im starting to think about one! Thanks

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
anymore photos? how long have you had it running? what was your nutrient levels before installing? and have you had a noticable difference?
I have only had it running for almost two weeks, so no progress as of yet. Im hitting around 20ppm nitrates in my reefer 750. Im only running one light on the ats as of right now trying to let it seed. I will also share with you a pic of the idea of a shelf I stole from Harry on IG and one that I actually had made for the ats. Nothing fancy just practical!

Screenshot_20200303-195817_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20200308-000733_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200308-000726_Samsung Internet.jpg

GermanJosh

View Badges
Reaction score
If your talking about the medium icecap, I just used straight 1 inch pvc no issues. Because It is over my sump I didn't even worry about glueing anything in case I want or need to change anything.

On another note, how do you like your roller filter. Im starting to think about one! Thanks
did you use a reducer 1"? 1" threaded? what part did you use specifically to run 1" PVC?

GermanJosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I just used straight 1 inch pipe no reducer or anything.

20200308_211702.jpg
20200308_211652.jpg
so the outlet is 1inch standard PVC, but the inlet is not? yours is barbed correct? if so, do you think there is any way to convert it to 1" PVC?

did you buy the lid top from the guy in the IG post? or did you custom make it?

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
so the outlet is 1inch standard PVC, but the inlet is not? yours is barbed correct? if so, do you think there is any way to convert it to 1" PVC?

did you buy the lid top from the guy in the IG post? or did you custom make it?
Correct, the outlet is 1 inch and the inlet is metric. There is no way of really swapping the inlet out, unless you want to redo the entire connection which would be a pain. I just ran hose from a sicce 1.5 pump. I'll include a couple of pics so you can see the set up.
I actually was able to get the shelf made by a guy locally that has an acrylic business. It cost me $30!

20200309_200223.jpg
20200309_200217.jpg

Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

• Yes

Votes: 63 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 15.8%
  • Maybe considering the set up

Votes: 89 16.1%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 306 55.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.3%

Online statistics

Members online