First marine tank 70g IM Drop-off build

Philium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefing community,

I am new so any guidance welcome. Classic freshwater tank experience but wanted to dive into saltwater and finally (kinda) have the finances to do it. I was initially going to wet my feet with a 123L Fluval AIO but found my new IM 70g drop-off tank for a steal (80% off!) and couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Planning to start with fish and soft corals, move to SPS when my experience grows and the tank matures. In no rush at all and happy to move at a relatively slow pace (which will help the financial strain also)

Current equipment purchased:
- 70g Innovative Marine Drop-off version with Nuvo stand
- Eshopps Aqua-Fuge Refugium sump 4th generation AR-100. Really like the idea of the designated Refugium spot built-in.
- Ehiem 150W heaters (x2) to be run through Inkbird ITC308S

Tentatively planned equipment
- Echotech Vectra S2 return pump (will get battery backup eventually). The M2 seems excessive and the S2 enough flow (2.5 foot straight shot to tank). Please let me know if anyone disagrees?
- Bubble Magnus Curve Elite 5
- Ap9x light mounted on custom-built frame (aluminum 2040 ordered)
- VorTech Quietdrive Mp10 vs 40. Was thinking two 10's should be sufficient in the drop off then add an additional "topside" powerhead once start moving to SPS. Any guidance on 10 vs 40? Seems like the dead flow spots in the drop-off are a common challenge.
- ATO Tunze, figuring out how to get the RODI system best set up in my place.
- Marco dry rock with live sand - NSA scape in drop off with slight overhang above. Will add plenty of bacteria during the cycle.

Photos and updates to follow

Phil

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your equipment list looks solid. The dropoff will pose a challenge, but if you place one MP10 at the back of the tank (aimed forward) above the dropoff you should get a nice pattern going.

Tunze is coming out with a new Osmolater right away, so if you can wait I would.

OP
OP
P

Philium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your equipment list looks solid. The dropoff will pose a challenge, but if you place one MP10 at the back of the tank (aimed forward) above the dropoff you should get a nice pattern going.

Tunze is coming out with a new Osmolater right away, so if you can wait I would.
Thank you Blaxsun,

Ill certainly wait for the new unit to come out. Worst-case scenario I get the current model at a lower price. Will upload photos once the scape is done and water is in.

OP
OP
P

Philium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, I am studying for my final board exams and everything has been delayed. Working on the scape and frame for light before it's full of water and challenging to move. Also slowly purchasing gear

Frame made of 2040 Aluminum extrusions ordered off amazon. Seems very sturdy with the corner struts (pictured), going to further reinforce with L brackets to be confident. Planning for Kessils Ap9x (lightweight). May need to upgrade the support arm if it sags. The goal was to maintain a clean look and peninsular style with easy access.

By the end of February, things should be moving much more quickly!

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 11.34.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 11.35.23 AM.png

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, I am studying for my final board exams and everything has been delayed. Working on the scape and frame for light before it's full of water and challenging to move. Also slowly purchasing gear

Frame made of 2040 Aluminum extrusions ordered off amazon. Seems very sturdy with the corner struts (pictured), going to further reinforce with L brackets to be confident. Planning for Kessils Ap9x (lightweight). May need to upgrade the support arm if it sags. The goal was to maintain a clean look and peninsular style with easy access.

By the end of February, things should be moving much more quickly!

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 11.34.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 11.35.23 AM.png
NOICE keep up the good work man, cant wait to see how this ages.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you addressing the flow for your build in the drop off section?
Honestly I'm hoping that with the vectra I have enough power lol bottom will be lps and softies so don't need too much. Worst case scenario I add a pump on the back wall of the bottom level

OP
OP
P

Philium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drop off has turned into quite the project. With my impatience I got an Evo 13.5 that I plan to use as a quarantine tank longterm. Just satisfying my need to start for now. Have two clowns to keep the kids interest. Hoping this will help me get better progress on the drop off! Have planned cabinet with building starting this month.
165791DE-CBE6-455A-B5B1-F266068E54A8.jpeg
165791DE-CBE6-455A-B5B1-F266068E54A8.jpeg
ACB5C515-CAF4-42F5-BCD5-43E3A5B4E530.jpeg
EAEB232A-839F-4563-A805-877022290413.jpeg

Back