First mushrooms

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mushrooms and had one in my tank that came with some live rock that did well for months, a month ago seems to have sucked itself into a hole in the rock, and now I don't even think it is alive. I recently introduced another on a frag, by the next morning I found that mushroom attached to a rock in a shady cove (where I can hardly see it of course). I would like to get more, but wonder
1) if the current mushrooms don't seem too happy... should I really get more?
2) how and where to best "place" new mushrooms

and 3) should I attempt to move the one that found a cave to hide in?? or just let him be?

btw I don't test any of my parameters - my lfs guy doesn't want me to be constantly fussing and trying to "correct" things, which I get as a newbie. Whenever I bring water to him, he says all looks good, except once high nitrates in the beginning when I was overfeeding. All I know is salinity at 1.026, fish happy, BTA happy, small GSP on sandbed happy, small toadstool leather approx 3" from sandbed happy, zoas on sandbed happy. I have a 20g IM tank with no mods or additions except AI prime 16HD single light running mostly blues and UV (mimicked the LFS settings) 8am to 5pm. My tank is approx 6 months old and started with 20 lbs. live rock, live sand, and bacteria. Thoughts?

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know too much about the shrooms, but I have a neon green hairy mushroom that likes moderate flow and lighting, but my superman rhodactis like low flow and light. As for the LFS telling you not to “worry” over your params… that’s a whole other problem. IMO you should always be aware of your parameters, maybe don’t check twice a day, but a few times a week especially if you are seeing swings in your fish and coral. They are telling you that something is up, unless it’s a picky zoa or shedding leather. Just my opinion anyways.

Surdokas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave it be if it's moving it'll find where it likes and leave a trail of baby mushrooms in its path. They will shrink up and when they are trying to get food they will open up.
If it's got good color it's fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back