First Nano - BioCube 16 LED

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got kinda lucky and grabbed a 16 LED BioCube and Waterbox 10 Cube yesterday for $140, both are perfect, besides needing to be cleaned.

So I'm going to end up trading/selling the WB Cube 10 and using the BioCube as my first ever Nano Tank.

Background - I've had a 90g/180g in the past and currently have a Waterbox 100.3 as my Reef tank right now. Never had a Nano though.

Tank - BioCube 16 LED
Lighting - Using Stock.
Return Pump - Going to upgrade the stock one to probaby either a 0.5 Sicce or 1.0 Sicce. Unsure atm.
Flow - TBD (probably a Hydor or something).
Filtration - Going to be ordering the InTank Media Basket made for the BioCube 16. Stocking it with Filter Floss on top, Chemi Pure second, Purigen 3rd.
Skimmer - Not unless I find a super good deal on a Nano one that I want.
Plan on making this work with weekly Friday water changes. Its 16g, so 50% would be 8 gallons, so I'm thinking of just making it easy and doing a Single 5g bucket water change every Friday.

Fish plans - Have no idea, was going to end up putting "Steve" (Orange Storm Clown -Single) in here from my DT, but he seems to be bonding well with the new clowns I put in there and they may become a Trio, if so I don't want to break that up. So maybe a Firefish and a different clown for this BioCube. Along with some type of cleaner shrimp, peppermint
IMG_0286.jpg
IMG_0287.jpg
IMG_0288.jpg
/scarlet. Small CUC.

Coral Plans - No Idea and I welcome suggestions. Thought about using this as a Grow out tank. Thought about making it a Nem tank. Zoa Garden, or just w/e coral I get for free or in trades.

I'd LOVE to make this an SPS dominant tank, something I've yet to do, but I feel like Id need all the fancy equipment. ATO (which Im probably going to have on this just cause its a nano). Apex to monitor along with Dosers. And a better light cause while i think the stock LED can grow LPS/Softies, think it isn't strong enough for SPS (may be wrong though). So I think SPS is out.

This rock will be stocked with KP Aquatics rock, I'm going to be making a big order to stock the Nano and replace most of my rock in the Waterbox 100.3. I want the bio diversity.

I'm completely open to suggestions/advice/help/yelling
:P
. Never had a Nano. Wanted something to tinker with while waiting on the big tank to mature.

Also building the stand myself.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be surprised what you can do with good husbandry and consistency. I had SPS in most of my nanocubes without a controller or ato and only used stock lighting. Just WCs and dosing when the WC couldn't keep up.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be surprised what you can do with good husbandry and consistency. I had SPS in most of my nanocubes without a controller or ato and only used stock lighting. Just WCs and dosing when the WC couldn't keep up.
Yea I thought about it, thats my plan as well already just WCs. I don't want to dose at all, like ever. So thats where I think it would downfall.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. WCs will likely keep up for a few years. It's only when you can't reach into the tank because the amount of SPS that you'll have to increase your WC frequency, keep less sensitive SPS, or prune to meet demand :)

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. WCs will likely keep up for a few years. It's only when you can't reach into the tank because the amount of SPS that you'll have to increase your WC frequency, keep less sensitive SPS, or prune to meet demand :)
Lol I may go for it! Once we get her cycled after the KP Aquatics rock, I may throw some SpS testers in there to see how the light does for it.

Back