First new reef tank in 20 years

epetrillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to set up my first new tank in 20 years (first reef tank ever). I know I can mix my salt water in tank if is a new tank but I have a question. Can I put sand and dry rock in first and then add water and salt? Will cause pockets of salt that don't dissolve and cause problems? Would it be better to mix salt and water first and then add sand and rock to a full tank?

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you won’t be in a hurry to get things going seeing as this is a new tank, I would mix it in the tank before adding sand/rock if that’s the only option you have to mix the salt.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to set up my first new tank in 20 years (first reef tank ever). I know I can mix my salt water in tank if is a new tank but I have a question. Can I put sand and dry rock in first and then add water and salt? Will cause pockets of salt that don't dissolve and cause problems? Would it be better to mix salt and water first and then add sand and rock to a full tank?
As long as you have some strong water flow and are willing to give it time to mix, you should be fine either way. Good luck and welcome!

OP
OP
epetrillo

epetrillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you won’t be in a hurry to get things going seeing as this is a new tank, I would mix it in the tank before adding sand/rock if that’s the only option you have to mix the salt.
I was choosing this option because I thought it would easier on my old back. Will add sand and rock after if this is best.

OP
OP
epetrillo

epetrillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have some strong water flow and are willing to give it time to mix, you should be fine either way. Good luck and welcome!
I was thinking this would make aquascaping easier and I'm not in a hurry but if mixing water first is better I will. If I did put sand in first should I not use live sand? Would the fresh water kill the bacteria? I suppose I could just buy pre-mixed saltwater. I'm not being lazy, I'm just old and have a bad back and trying to minimize lifting.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add the sand and rock then add the water and salt. That is fine, and does help with letting you know what the exact volume of water is in your tank too, good to know for the future.

You don't have to worry about pockets of salt not dissolving, it does not work that way. Even if in an area completely stagnant, it will still dissolve.

If you have any additional concerns, feel free to ask. :)

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking this would make aquascaping easier and I'm not in a hurry but if mixing water first is better I will. If I did put sand in first should I not use live sand? Would the fresh water kill the bacteria? I suppose I could just buy pre-mixed saltwater. I'm not being lazy, I'm just old and have a bad back and trying to minimize lifting.
Yes, if the live sand were exposed to freshwater for a long time it would drastically alter the bacterial composition. I believe there is a MACNA presentation that gets into this in some scientific detail.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back